By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

arcelonious said:
KLXVER said:

Several people have in here, but you only pointed out the indie hate...

That's because we're in a thread about being tired of the indie boom.  I have my own opinions about the quality and evolution of AAA development, but I'm not really interested in branching off-topic.

Well thats a good excuse at least...

Around the Network

INDIE is not the opposite to AAA.

Kresnik said:
Barozi said:

Inside, Ori and the Blind Forest - alright (sry if I forgot anything significant)

I was going to get pissy because you named the only prominent Microsoft games and nothing from Sony (despite the fact I think stuff like Hotline Miami 2 will outsell both of those games, possibly even combined) but then I saw your little disclaimer at the end and it dissipated by anger.

Oh Barozi.

You know that the Sony show was incredibly late, so I didn't watch it and don't know exactly what indie games were shown there.

I mentioned No Man's Sky which is at the very least a PS4 timed exclusive and Inside, which will definitely hit PS4 as well.
I added the disclaimer after I read someone mentioning Transistor.

BraLoD said:
You have to think in the future.
More indie games = more chance to bring new good stuff = more future big companys doing AA and AAA games.
You have to thank the indie boom.

I disagree. Indie game developers usually stay indie game developers. I mean do you know of an indie game designer that now make AAA games...?

Codemasters is independent and Valve. Star Citizen is indie game with biger budget than Uncharted 2...

INDIE is not the opposite to AAA. AAA is abaout budget, INDIE is about beaing private with no publisher.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:
More indie games = more chance to bring new good stuff = more future big companys doing AA and AAA games.

I disagree. Indie game developers usually stay indie game developers. I mean do you know of an indie game designer that now make AAA games...?

Star citizen could be considered aaa and as i said before the witness is looking to be a pretty big game. You'll just ignore this though.

phaedruss said:
KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:

Star citizen could be considered aaa and as i said before the witness is looking to be a pretty big game. You'll just ignore this though.

I wont ignore it and those are not AAA games, but youll probably ignore that...

KLXVER said:
phaedruss said:
KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:

I wont ignore it and those are not AAA games, but youll probably ignore that...

Star citizen has been funded to the tune of 40+ million so yea aaa. The point is that your argument that no indie developers will start to reach into the aa and aaa space is false already.

Darwinianevolution said:
small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No, the market was oversaturated with games 60 € or $ in consoles, and 45 in hanhelds. If someone bought a game per month, it would have spent 720 € $/ year in consoles, plus machine plus controllers or other accesories, plus online if you used a PS360, plus DLC and expansions... Granted if you bought on Steam or other digital service you could buy cheaper games, but you need to spend a lot on computer hardware. That is a lot of money. Indie games are succesful because they are priced way more competitively than other AAA games, plus their costs are much less than others and because they usually don't need much specs to work, can appear on every platform possible. If they cam provide the same experiences than AAA (in a time when AAA became really expensive to produce and a lot of companies are suffering because of it), i see no reason why Indies can thrive in the gaing market. Plus we need indies to compete with the main developers (Minecraft is the new Tetris, and wins more money than whole companies).

On the other hand free to play games are different. If they are not abusive like pay to win or pay to continue (timewalls), the number of players in there and easy access guarantees to attract a big number of customers, and some of those will suppport the game.

I would rather buy a 60$ games with great gameplay graphics then paying 15$ for a basic indie game

Indie games can have good gameplay and graphics, and usually have the same replayability than bigger games. Plus, everybody can't afford paying for every big release out there.

Most of them are not

Millions of people don't have problem with buying AAA games so why don't support AAA and Indies games

I haven't said nothing about stop supporting AAA games. Of cousre they are good for the industry. But since the last gen, the models of pricing and developing those games have became so expensive. The growth of sales is smaller than the growth of costs. Plus, games in digital releases (at least in consoles) is too expensive, a 60$ game could make more benefits if it was priced 30$ on day one digital.

Plus Indie games need a strong AAA game library to survive. Let's compare AAA to a tree: the bigger the tree is, the more organism will be able to live in its ecosystem. That is why the Ouiya failed, Its organisms had no support to grow.

most of people fear that what happen to Vita will hapeen to home consoles

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

KLXVER said:
Yeah, I agree 100%. For every brilliant video game theres 200 shitty ones.

Fixed it for you. ;)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.