By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No, the market was oversaturated with games 60 € or $ in consoles, and 45 in hanhelds. If someone bought a game per month, it would have spent 720 € $/ year in consoles, plus machine plus controllers or other accesories, plus online if you used a PS360, plus DLC and expansions... Granted if you bought on Steam or other digital service you could buy cheaper games, but you need to spend a lot on computer hardware. That is a lot of money. Indie games are succesful because they are priced way more competitively than other AAA games, plus their costs are much less than others and because they usually don't need much specs to work, can appear on every platform possible. If they cam provide the same experiences than AAA (in a time when AAA became really expensive to produce and a lot of companies are suffering because of it), i see no reason why Indies can thrive in the gaing market. Plus we need indies to compete with the main developers (Minecraft is the new Tetris, and wins more money than whole companies).

On the other hand free to play games are different. If they are not abusive like pay to win or pay to continue (timewalls), the number of players in there and easy access guarantees to attract a big number of customers, and some of those will suppport the game.

I would rather buy a 60$ games with great gameplay graphics then paying 15$ for a basic indie game

Indie games can have good gameplay and graphics, and usually have the same replayability than bigger games. Plus, everybody can't afford paying for every big release out there.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

No, I'm tired of 'Indies don't count unless they're on our platform.'

The PS5 Exists. 

Darwinianevolution said:
small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No, the market was oversaturated with games 60 € or $ in consoles, and 45 in hanhelds. If someone bought a game per month, it would have spent 720 € $/ year in consoles, plus machine plus controllers or other accesories, plus online if you used a PS360, plus DLC and expansions... Granted if you bought on Steam or other digital service you could buy cheaper games, but you need to spend a lot on computer hardware. That is a lot of money. Indie games are succesful because they are priced way more competitively than other AAA games, plus their costs are much less than others and because they usually don't need much specs to work, can appear on every platform possible. If they cam provide the same experiences than AAA (in a time when AAA became really expensive to produce and a lot of companies are suffering because of it), i see no reason why Indies can thrive in the gaing market. Plus we need indies to compete with the main developers (Minecraft is the new Tetris, and wins more money than whole companies).

On the other hand free to play games are different. If they are not abusive like pay to win or pay to continue (timewalls), the number of players in there and easy access guarantees to attract a big number of customers, and some of those will suppport the game.

I would rather buy a 60$ games with great gameplay graphics then paying 15$ for a basic indie game

Indie games can have good gameplay and graphics, and usually have the same replayability than bigger games. Plus, everybody can't afford paying for every big release out there.

Most of them are not

Millions of people don't have problem with buying AAA games so why don't support AAA and Indies games

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Barozi said:

Inside, Ori and the Blind Forest - alright (sry if I forgot anything significant)

I was going to get pissy because you named the only prominent Microsoft games and nothing from Sony (despite the fact I think stuff like Hotline Miami 2 will outsell both of those games, possibly even combined) but then I saw your little disclaimer at the end and it dissipated by anger.

Oh Barozi.

Independent games are great because they give people a ton of variety, not just in what to play, but in how much to pay. I'd very much rather be given a selection of titles ranging from $5 to retail, rather than the more traditional "everything priced around retail" seen in the past. Honestly, a lot of the hate for independent games seems to be motivated by platform bias, where people will praise indie games when they're on their platform of choice, or criticize them when they're not.

Anyway, we all have our own preferences, and if you haven't found any indie games that you like, there's nothing wrong with that (although to be perfectly honest, you probably haven't given much effort into searching), but to hate on a scene that offers a tremendous amount of variety at various affordable prices and helps new developers gain a foothold in the industry is something that I just can't understand.

Around the Network
arcelonious said:
Independent games are great because they give people a ton of variety, not just in what to play, but in how much to pay. I'd very much rather be given a selection of titles ranging from $5 to retail, rather than the more traditional "everything priced around retail" seen in the past. Honestly, a lot of the hate for independent games seems to be motivated by platform bias, where people will praise indie games when they're on their platform of choice, or criticize them when they're not.

Anyway, we all have our own preferences, and if you haven't found any indie games that you like, there's nothing wrong with that (although to be perfectly honest, you probably haven't given much effort into searching), but to hate on a scene that offers a tremendous amount of variety at various affordable prices and helps new developers gain a foothold in the industry is something that I just can't understand.

Yet hating on the bigger companies are perfectly fine. MS, Sony and Nintendo all make and support games that are about 5 bucks to retail price... 

small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
small44 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Most of them are not

Millions of people don't have problem with buying AAA games so why don't support AAA and Indies games

I haven't said nothing about stop supporting AAA games. Of cousre they are good for the industry. But since the last gen, the models of pricing and developing those games have became so expensive. The growth of sales is smaller than the growth of costs. Plus, games in digital releases (at least in consoles) is too expensive, a 60$ game could make more benefits if it was priced 30$ on day one digital.

Plus Indie games need a strong AAA game library to survive. Let's compare AAA to a tree: the bigger the tree is, the more organism will be able to live in its ecosystem. That is why the Ouiya failed, Its organisms had no support to grow.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

KLXVER said:

Yet hating on the bigger companies are perfectly fine. MS, Sony and Nintendo all make and support games that are about 5 bucks to retail price... 

I don't know where I've stated that hating on big companies is fine...

arcelonious said:
KLXVER said:
arcelonious said:

I don't know where I've stated that hating on big companies is fine...

Several people have in here, but you only pointed out the indie hate...

KLXVER said:

Several people have in here, but you only pointed out the indie hate...

That's because we're in a thread about being tired of the indie boom.  I have my own opinions about the quality and evolution of AAA development, but I'm not really interested in branching off-topic.