By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Here’s How Microsoft Is Advertising Xbox One in Japan, and it Might be Working

Zod95 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Zod95 said:

Ignorant people making naive decisions. Yeah, that could work against the XOne and make the PS4 benefit from a non-advantage. But then you're not contradicting my very first comment that started all of this conversation (look at the bold).

Compelling is subjective, what isn't subjective is the power difference between the PS4 and the XB1. They are both 399, but PS4 is 40-50% (period). Thus if you are buying both consoles on the Merit of Multiplats PS4 has better price efficiency.

Last generation, XB360 had the multiplat advantage, because it ran games at either a more stable 30, or 10 fps more than the PS3. Now that we are talking about difference of 30 and 60 or 1080 vs 720 on pretty much all but one multiplat.

So what compelled people to get the 360 will not compel people to get the PS4.

/debate

Perhaps rational is subjective too. I won't go further on that, there's no point. Either people see it clearly and think rationally, or they can just let placebos take over their buying decisions. That's their problem, not mine.

X360 had significantly better versions on games like Oblivion, The Orange Box and even Arkham Asylum and GTA IV. We could see the differences with our own eyes. We could tell which was which without any lables or even side-by-side comparisons. That was significant (it's what compelled some people to opt by a X360). Now the differences are insignificant. Only ignorant/naive people could be fooled by that. Any TV little option, any system feature, any speculation about upcoming games is meant to be more important.

Its not that rationality is subjective, but rather consumers and human beings in general are anything but rational most of the time.

my favorite: is the common but flawed reasoning that money now is higher value then money later. 100$ now or 200$ next year, most people will choose now even though they will get more money if they wait.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

That campaign looks more appealing to the west, honestly. Don't know what the jap writings said though.

Zod95 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Zod95 said:

Ignorant people making naive decisions. Yeah, that could work against the XOne and make the PS4 benefit from a non-advantage. But then you're not contradicting my very first comment that started all of this conversation (look at the bold).

Compelling is subjective, what isn't subjective is the power difference between the PS4 and the XB1. They are both 399, but PS4 is 40-50% (period). Thus if you are buying both consoles on the Merit of Multiplats PS4 has better price efficiency.

Last generation, XB360 had the multiplat advantage, because it ran games at either a more stable 30, or 10 fps more than the PS3. Now that we are talking about difference of 30 and 60 or 1080 vs 720 on pretty much all but one multiplat.

So what compelled people to get the 360 will not compel people to get the PS4.

/debate

Perhaps rational is subjective too. I won't go further on that, there's no point. Either people see it clearly and think rationally, or they can just let placebos take over their buying decisions. That's their problem, not mine.

X360 had significantly better versions on games like Oblivion, The Orange Box and even Arkham Asylum and GTA IV. We could see the differences with our own eyes. We could tell which was which without any lables or even side-by-side comparisons. That was significant (it's what compelled some people to opt by a X360). Now the differences are insignificant. Only ignorant/naive people could be fooled by that. Any TV little option, any system feature, any speculation about upcoming games is meant to be more important.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!  Wait, wait.  So a difference of a few frames and a few lines of resolution last gen equals "We could see the differences with our own eyes. We could tell which was which without any lables or even side-by-side comparisons.  That was significant."  Now, we have some games that are running, on average, 20-30 FPS higher on the PS4, WHILE boasting a resolution difference MUCH higher than ANYTHING the 360 outdid the PS3 by, and that equals "Now the differences are insignificant."  Wow.  Just wow.  I think the people buying the PS4 because it is ~40% more powerful than the One, and has the superior multiplats, aren't the "ignorant/naive" ones here.

Suffice to say I've never seen an advertising for xbox one in Japan. And my television is switched on quite a lot.

About the subtitles, someone asked. It's something like:

"Change what we think the gaming is"
"Ultimate visual beauty and game experience" (it's not a so strong "ultimate", it's the same name for items to give a better rank to weapons in JRPG)
"A line up to go to the new generation"

And then "xbox exclusive" (xbox one専用) is written for exclusive games

Should have showed TV and UI functionality. They would eat that kind of stuff up better than us gaming centric, resolution loving, Westerners.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

This is just a edited version of the accolades promo they made for English speaking gamers back in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfDqhEYu1-4

#SaveShenmue

Top 5 Most Anticipated Games:

- Quantum Break
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Destiny
- The Division
- Final Fantasy XV

Hope they make enought money to pay for that advertise at least. Not sure though

thismeintiel said:
Zod95 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Zod95 said:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!  Wait, wait.  So a difference of a few frames and a few lines of resolution last gen equals "We could see the differences with our own eyes. We could tell which was which without any lables or even side-by-side comparisons.  That was significant."  Now, we have some games that are running, on average, 20-30 FPS higher on the PS4, WHILE boasting a resolution difference MUCH higher than ANYTHING the 360 outdid the PS3 by, and that equals "Now the differences are insignificant."  Wow.  Just wow.  I think the people buying the PS4 because it is ~40% more powerful than the One, and has the superior multiplats, aren't the "ignorant/naive" ones here.

He has been preaching and bitching the whole day over this and you just dismantled his whole fucking agrument right there. There's his compelling reason to buy PS4 versions over X1. /thread.

VanceIX said:
Ucell said:
VanceIX said:
spurgeonryan said:
Its anyones market over there. Do it right and see what happens.

Yeah, very true. Microsoft could do to consoles what Apple has done with phones in Japan. Just because they are a western company shouldn't mean they should be counted out. Sony actually deserves to lose Japan if they don't get off their asses and actually release games soon, instead of counting on KH3 or FFXV which may or may not even come out in the next two or three years.

Why should Sony bother with a dying market? They should focus more on emerging markets than declining ones, like India and Brazil.

Because Japan is still a better prospect than either of those. And seeing as that the PS3 is still selling a steady amount, it's hardly dying. No one buys a PS4 there because it has absolutely no Japanese games of importance.

But appealing to Indian and Brazilian gamers is much easier to do than Japanese gamers. Gamers from both trhese countries love God Of War (one of Sony's own IP's and one which also appeals to the west), Uncharted same as God Of War), COD, GTA and AC. All they've got to do is churn out these games on a bi-annual basis and lower the cost of PS4 in these 2 countries (costs $667 in India for example) and there consoles will be a hit.

In Japan, they can't really do much. Atleast that's what it looks like, and even if they can, they'd need to invest a lot of money into Japanese focussed games which wouldn't sell well anywhere else.

Kresnik said:
Zod95 said:

You don't understand because you are most probably a logical consumer like me. There's no compelling reason to buy A rather than B when A and B are about the same thing for the same price. Only emotions can lead people to less rational decisions or not even to compare before deciding and thus totally disregarding option B as if it didn't exist. The end result? Some people claiming the XOne only has western games.

I'm slightly beginning to piece together the point you're arguing here, but it's still kinda tenuous...

Right now, PS4 has over XB1 in Japan:

- Cheaper multi-plats.  XB! is launching with games at full price that have already been out on PS4 for months.

- The same Japanese multi-plat future, slightly better optimized.  All the bigger games - Resident Evil; Final Fantasy; Metal Gear Solid will all come to both consoles.  But from everything we've been seeing so far, they'll run slightly better on PS4.

- The otaku ghetto.  Compile Heart are already developing for the system.  NIS; Falcom & Acquire all have pledged future support and supposedly have games in development.  Gust will soon follow suit.

- Japanese mid-tier support.  Yakuza is already on the system.  We know Gundam is coming.  We know Idolm@ster is coming.  All the Warriors games are already there.

- A history of more third party support.  PS3 vs. 360 support in Japan is like a bloodbath, really.

All I'd say that XB1 has over PS4 is:

- 5pb support.  Which can be a big deal if you're in the niche that buys their brand of VN's.

- Kinect, if you're into that kinda thing.

- A few western exclusives such as Forza & Ryse.

So you can you really say that product A and B are the same when what they're offering is so radically different?

The fact that PS4 is a Japanese-developed console will undoubtedly be a helping hand here too, but I think it's more going to help with getting developers on board in the first place (because they're going to see it as a more viable place to develop on because of Japanese tastes) then people simply buying it because it's Japanese.

Although if things were 100% exactly the same between PS4 & XB1, then I'm sure they'd choose PS4 just because it's Japanese.  That's just the way they are.  There's really not any debate to be had about that because it's not going to change no matter what you or I say.

Of course XB1 doesn't only have Western games.  But all they showed in this trailer was western-oriented games (because I'd argue that the Japanese games they did show are aimed at audiences in the west as much - if not more - than they're aimed at audiences in Japan).  That's the trailer they showed.  If they'd mocked up a trailer full of 5pb games then it would be different, but they didn't.

Like I said to Dr.Henry_Killinger: "I was not talking about the machines but the games. Of course the machines are different and one should opt by what he/she thinks to be the best system with the best exclusives.".

The point I'm trying to make is very simple: Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are japanese games and are on XOne. They do exist, they are real, they are equal to the PS4 version and they prove XOne is not only about western games. It's that simple.

For any Japanese that loves Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, that likes Halo (or any other Microsoft exclusive) and that doesn't see value in any PS4 exclusive, XOne is the right console for him/her. This is the truth and this proves that the console is not just about western games. Otherwise, this Japanese would obviously opt by PS4.

Regarding the western-oriented games, that is arguable. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are definitely Japan-oriented, perhaps more than Mario and motion games and see how that sells in Japan. I would say Japan is changing every year and that now it's far from being only about anime videogames. There is a very strong casual component as well as a growing western niche there. XOne has both and therefore I think Sunset Overdrive, Plants vs Zombies and Project Spark are actually quite Japan-oriented...as well as Kinect.

This time Microsoft is doing it right in Japan, showing what they do best and emphasizing casual games and Kinect rather than spending millions granting japanese exclusives that would tend to go for PlayStation and that would not convince that many gamers to change their minds and go for Xbox. Microsoft is playing smart, managing well their resources. They can't spend like crazy in a market that will never give them crazy results. They would rather be patient and wait for the japanese market to continue to change, eventually promoting that change with good promos like the one presented on this thread.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M