By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Link between worlds starts annoying

Faxanadu said:
the_dengle said:
Good call, just scoop it up and trade the game in now. No point slogging through all 5 minutes of a bad intro to get to the rest of the game -- which, from the sound of things, you've pretty much finished already.

Seriously, just stop playing right now and take the game back to wherever you bought it. You said you honestly don't know if you're going to keep playing, let me help you with that decision. Don't keep playing.

Yes. You are probably right. After that the only thing that will happen is that they realize all the paintings on the wall are real soldiers.

What I am saying is this: the game starts really bad. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute or just some mild sarcasm?

I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not here to argue with you. You said you're considering stopping right now, and I'm encouraging you to do so. Just scoop that shit. Totally serious.

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:

The writing was much better. as in: there was none. Much better that way. Games need to re-focus on gaming, imo. not on bad story telling.

No it wasn't. ALBW does not have "bad story telling." A 15 minute intro is not "losing focus on gaming," and if that's too much for you, that's an issue of your lack of an attention span, not the game's quality of story telling. The ten minute difference in intro time does literally nothing to change the quality of story telling in both games. They are both cookie-cutter video game intros.

spemanig said:
Faxanadu said:

The writing was much better. as in: there was none. Much better that way. Games need to re-focus on gaming, imo. not on bad story telling.

No it wasn't. ALBW does not have "bad story telling." A 15 minute intro is not "losing focus on gaming," and if that's too much for you, that's an issue of your lack of an attention span, not the game's quality of story telling. The ten minute difference in intro time does literally nothing to change the quality of story telling in both games. They are both cookie-cutter video game intros.

then i guess we disagree on what is acceptable story telling and tone setting.

Alttp: you are alone, your uncle died, you are in a world full of enemies, you have to fight your way through a castle.

albw: some kid tells you you are late for work.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
spemanig said:
Faxanadu said:

Alttp: you are alone, your uncle died, you are in a world full of enemies, you have to fight your way through a castle.

In the grand scheme of things, it so very minor. The Legend of Zelda is about the quest, exploring the world and solving the dungeons and A Link Between Worlds really delivers on that front.  Tough it up, it's more than worth it.

Signature goes here!

Faxanadu said:
spemanig said:
Faxanadu said:

Play Metroid Prime 2 if you think ALTTP has a dangerous world filled with enemies. 

Around the Network

Lol, different games different stories. Should have replayed ALttP instead if you wanted an ALttP.

TruckOSaurus said:
Faxanadu said:
spemanig said:
Faxanadu said:

In the grand scheme of things, it so very minor. The Legend of Zelda is about the quest, exploring the world and solving the dungeons and A Link Between Worlds really delivers on that front.  Tough it up, it's more than worth it.

It is not minor imo, as the tone is set very differently. One has a supportive, cheerful community that you can fall back on, even though you are a more unreliable part of the community. There is plenty of soldiers around and they even train and keep the castle nice and tidy.

In the other one you are alone.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It is not minor imo, as the tone is set very differently. One has a supportive, cheerful community that you can fall back on, even though you are a more unreliable part of the community. There is plenty of soldiers around and they even train and keep the castle nice and tidy.

In the other one you are alone.

My point is that in all Zelda games the story is a distraction at best, it's a minor part of the Zelda package. The dungeons are solid, the wall merging mechanic makes for fun exploring, there's enemies aplenty and the collectables are actually useful. ALBW is a great Zelda game because of those things, you disliking the story intro shouldn't affect that.

Signature goes here!

I'm tempted to give you the ending of the game just to fuck with you for wasting my time with that pointless complaint. Play the game and quit yer whining!

Yeah, you should just stop playing it. Reading is for suckers!