By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on the lack of Vita focus at E3

MikeRox said:
TheDarkTriforce said:
I still don't understand why people buy the PlayStation Vita when even Sony does not support it :D Gamers today must be stupid or they must have too much money on the bank and don't know what to do with it ;)

Because it's awesome ;)

RIGHT! The Vita is awesome, regardless of the negativity that it gets. It does have games. Just not that ONE game to push it over the edge.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Rafie said:
MikeRox said:
TheDarkTriforce said:
I still don't understand why people buy the PlayStation Vita when even Sony does not support it :D Gamers today must be stupid or they must have too much money on the bank and don't know what to do with it ;)

Because it's awesome ;)

RIGHT! The Vita is awesome, regardless of the negativity that it gets. It does have games. Just not that ONE game to push it over the edge.

Yes, but the PSP didn't have a particular system seller either (It had four or five really big games, but nothing spectacular) and still sold better. PSP had the same expensive memory cards, and it had way worst loading times because of the mini-cd, than the Vita. What's the diference? If you say that the mobile and tablet market took a big portion of its users, I think it should have affected both 3DS and Vita in the same way, but if we make the calculations:

*Numbers aproximated for the operation.

Total DS sold: 154 m

Total 3DS sold (june 2014): 43 m

Total PSP sold: 80 m

Total PSV sold (june 2014): 8 m

If we asume that the new machines are selling in the same proportion that their predecessors:

(X = millions of PSV sold if the proportion was real)

43------------154

8----------------X;                  43X=1232;         X= 1232/43;     X=    28,6

If the PSV was selling in the same proportion, it shoud have sold 28,6 millions already. What's the diference between PSP and Vita? Developing costs? Lack of attractive games? was the PSP just an anomaly like the Wii? Lack of interest? What?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Rafie said:
MikeRox said:
TheDarkTriforce said:

Because it's awesome ;)

Yes, but the PSP didn't have a particular system seller either (It had four or five really big games, but nothing spectacular) and still sold better. PSP had the same expensive memory cards, and it had way worst loading times because of the mini-cd, than the Vita. What's the diference? If you say that the mobile and tablet market took a big portion of its users, I think it should have affected both 3DS and Vita alike, but if we make the calculations:

If we asume that the new machines are selling in the same proportion that their predecessors:

43------------154

8----------------X;                  43X=1232;         X= 1232/43;     X=    28,6

If the PSV was selling in the same proportion, it shoud have sold 28,6 millions already. What's the diference between PSP and Vita? Developing costs? Lack of attractive games? was the PSP just an anomaly like the Wii? Lack of interest? What?

It could be all of those factors you expressed in question form. The market is completely different than when the PSP was doing well in. The economy itself has crumbled and inflation continues to rise. So money is an issue when goods are getting expensive without a raise in paychecks of the average consumer.

Now that cross buy is huge with Sony, some gamers may not find it viable to purchase a Vita when they can just play the same game on their big brother consoles. Yes there are a little bit of exclusives, but not none that could entice the buyer to purchase.

The PSP wasn't an anomaly. The PSP didn't target the casual crowd with a low price for a console with family fun games. That's what made the Wii popular and what sold it. Can't forget the motion control. The PSP wanted to be the most powerful handheld (which it was at that time) with a brand new take on game formatting. It was pretty cool then. I still have mine with all the UMD's for games AND movies.

I honestly believe though that people just aren't interested in the Vita because of lack of exclusives and that ridiculous price for memory cards. All of those factors can make the Vita unappealing, and it's showing. Still, I find great value in my Vita. I get a slew of games, regardless if they're cross buy or not, with extra trophies to earn and it has apps to keep you entertained.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

So I guess they forgot that they had 2 hr show. Maybe they keep forgetting the vita is out

Sadly my Vita has started to gather dust. It just isn't a very compelling device now, with very little support.

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
We'll see more of Vita at Gamescom and TGS.

E3 isn't really the best place for Vita, especially with PS4 out right now.

TGS needs more ps4 than vita. Vita is doing fine in japan, ps4 is not. This is a marketing event before anything else.

Darwinianevolution said:
Rafie said:
MikeRox said:
TheDarkTriforce said:

Because it's awesome ;)

Yes, but the PSP didn't have a particular system seller either (It had four or five really big games, but nothing spectacular) and still sold better. PSP had the same expensive memory cards, and it had way worst loading times because of the mini-cd, than the Vita. What's the diference? If you say that the mobile and tablet market took a big portion of its users, I think it should have affected both 3DS and Vita in the same way, but if we make the calculations:

43------------154

PSP was a portable media centre (mp3 etc especially) when phones hadn't taken over this role. 3DS has therefore been affected less by the proliferation of phones and tablets as PSP sold to some people on those grounds as much as a games console.

PSP also had way more high profile IP released on it than Vita Inc GTA MGS exclusive FF games along with multiple COD, medal of honour, midnight club/need for speed etc.

The portable vers generally tend to be on iOS/Android now. Something which has affected Nintendo far less as most of the desirable software on their formats is made by them.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

RenCutypoison said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
We'll see more of Vita at Gamescom and TGS.

E3 isn't really the best place for Vita, especially with PS4 out right now.

TGS needs more ps4 than vita. Vita is doing fine in japan, ps4 is not. This is a marketing event before anything else.

Completely agree that the PS4 needs to have a good showing there.

But TGS is the event where they'll probably showcase more Vita games as well.

If they're smart they'll do both, unlike E3.

MoHasanie said:

PS4, PlayStation Now, Morpheus and PSTV took precedence this year.

During our E3 interview with Jim Ryan (president and CEO of SCE Europe), we asked why the PlayStation Vita didn't get as much stage time during Sony's press conference this year.

"You get an hour and half on the stage," Ryan explained, "and you've got to work out what's really important to talk about. And obviously PS4, and we also wanted to talk about the innovation stories of PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV and Morpheus. So that stuff was all top of the list."

He continued: "We did talk about Vita, and we name-checked some of the games that are coming to the platform. We name-checked the fact that there's over 100 games in production still. We name-checked the remote play functionality with PS4."

"You know we spoke about it in the context of PSTV [earlier in the interview], but let's not forget that remote play is here and now with PS Vita and it is incredibly well received. The statistics about the way people use remote play with their PS Vita are very strong, and when people do it, it's not like they try it once and then put the Vita away... they go back and they use remote play on their Vita again and again and again."

We'll be running the full interview with Jim Ryan on the site tomorrow, so for further discussion with regards to PS4 and much, much more, make sure you stay tuned to Gamereactor.

AKA we got nothing...

Fans: What about the Vit-..
Sony: It has REMOTE PLAY, you ungrateful whiny little punks !