By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on the lack of Vita focus at E3

PS4, PlayStation Now, Morpheus and PSTV took precedence this year.

During our E3 interview with Jim Ryan (president and CEO of SCE Europe), we asked why the PlayStation Vita didn't get as much stage time during Sony's press conference this year.

"You get an hour and half on the stage," Ryan explained, "and you've got to work out what's really important to talk about. And obviously PS4, and we also wanted to talk about the innovation stories of PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV and Morpheus. So that stuff was all top of the list."

He continued: "We did talk about Vita, and we name-checked some of the games that are coming to the platform. We name-checked the fact that there's over 100 games in production still. We name-checked the remote play functionality with PS4."

"You know we spoke about it in the context of PSTV [earlier in the interview], but let's not forget that remote play is here and now with PS Vita and it is incredibly well received. The statistics about the way people use remote play with their PS Vita are very strong, and when people do it, it's not like they try it once and then put the Vita away... they go back and they use remote play on their Vita again and again and again."

We'll be running the full interview with Jim Ryan on the site tomorrow, so for further discussion with regards to PS4 and much, much more, make sure you stay tuned to Gamereactor.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/203004/Sony+on+the+lack+of+Vita+focus+at+E3/

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Didn't Sony get 2 hours though?

sony we love what your doing for the ps4 its great with the exclusives and 3rd party games but please give vita some love

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

We'll see more of Vita at Gamescom and TGS.

E3 isn't really the best place for Vita, especially with PS4 out right now.

jlmurph2 said:
Didn't Sony get 2 hours though?

They had the longest conference and they had time to talk about TV shows and movies which no one really cares about, so it looks like they are just making excuses. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I feel like Vita just needs one breakout game. I dont know how bad Sonys financials are but if they could secure a handheld GTA like the PSP, they would make a killing in sales(plus Vita TV). I am kind of shocked that everyone except indys seem to see the Vita as a dead machine.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

TheGoldenBoy said:

This... the Vita needs a good TGS presence first and foremost. If that happens sales will further rise in Japan and it will secure a small, but loyal fanbase in the west. Never the less, a couple of big name games could have saved some face at e3 and could have resulted in a decent summer/q4 performance in the west.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

CDiablo said:
I feel like Vita just needs one breakout game. I dont know how bad Sonys financials are but if they could secure a handheld GTA like the PSP, they would make a killing in sales(plus Vita TV). I am kind of shocked that everyone except indys seem to see the Vita as a dead machine.

I don't know how much interest would Rockstar put in a handheld GTA (Both Vita and 3DS) if given the chance. They are still winning lots of money with GTA5, and they doesn't seem to put any focus on handhelds besides ports on tablets. With that said, I still want my Chinatown Stories for my 3DS.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Just one big Vita game is all that people needed at e3... Heck, that Type 0 announcement got people excited until they changed it... I have no faith until I see some actual results

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

TheGoldenBoy said:

I wish they would just say this.