By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Got fired from MS China (downsizing) :(

pokoko said:
TheDarkTriforce said:

Then you should work better in the future than you mabe get not fired and can stay ;) I really don't understand why people like you make a big deal of that, everyday people gets fired and do you know what they do? They work harder to avoid that and does not act like it is everyone else fault!!! Just because you got fired from a videogame company does not mean that it is not your fault!!! Work harder and don't blame someone else!!!

And this, my friends, is why you should always read the OP before commenting.  

I just wanted to share this with you: I'm at work right now, coming off my lunch break. I was holding in some gas for about 10 minutes, but as I read the post you quoted, I started giggling to myself and my sphincter slowly started loosening its grip. Then I read your post and laughed my ass off while cutting a big one, but I don't think anyone else heard it over the sound of my outburst. :)

Around the Network
benji232 said:
TheDarkTriforce said:

Then you should work better in the future than you mabe get not fired and can stay ;) I really don't understand why people like you make a big deal of that, everyday people gets fired and do you know what they do? They work harder to avoid that and does not act like it is everyone else fault!!! Just because you got fired from a videogame company does not mean that it is not your fault!!! Work harder and don't blame someone else!!!

This post gave me cancer.

You shouldn't expose yourself to posts like this. Hopefully your treatment goes well.

I won't never get fired from my job Wal Mart home sweet home.

As others have said, congrats on the new job, good luck, though it does raise some questions for me. It certainly seems confusing to downsize so much in the face of launching Xbox there. Some people mentioned other Asian countries being cheaper, piracy as a problem, etc, but you'd think that even with all that, they'd keep more than 12 out of 200 people for a project like a console launch...any ideas what's going on?

HylianSwordsman said:
As others have said, congrats on the new job, good luck, though it does raise some questions for me. It certainly seems confusing to downsize so much in the face of launching Xbox there. Some people mentioned other Asian countries being cheaper, piracy as a problem, etc, but you'd think that even with all that, they'd keep more than 12 out of 200 people for a project like a console launch...any ideas what's going on?

The console launch is being handled by a Chinese company who will be bringing the console to stores in China. 

Microsoft is a huge company with offices everywhere around the world. Moreover, Microsoft is known for its Windows and Office software, and server business. Recently Microsoft said that they earn less revenue from China than they do from the Netherlands, even though demand for their products there was about the same as the United States. Also, the Chinese government recently banned Windows 8 on government computers. So maybe Microsoft didn't see the point of having such a big office there. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
HylianSwordsman said:

The console launch is being handled by a Chinese company who will be bringing the console to stores in China. 

Microsoft is a huge company with offices everywhere around the world. Moreover, Microsoft is known for its Windows and Office software, and server business. Recently Microsoft said that they earn less revenue from China than they do from the Netherlands, even though demand for their products there was about the same as the United States. Also, the Chinese government recently banned Windows 8 on government computers. So maybe Microsoft didn't see the point of having such a big office there. 

Ah, that makes more sense then, thanks. That's some pretty insane piracy though! I'm sure game systems will be more profitable though, since you can put precautions in place against piracy more easily than with PC. Launching Xbox through a Chinese company is probably a smart move. It'll get around Western-phobia somewhat.

HylianSwordsman said:
MoHasanie said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Ah, that makes more sense then, thanks. That's some pretty insane piracy though! I'm sure game systems will be more profitable though, since you can put precautions in place against piracy more easily than with PC. Launching Xbox through a Chinese company is probably a smart move. It'll get around Western-phobia somewhat.

Not really.  Most analysts don't give the Xbox One much hope in the Chinese market.  Don't underestimate the anti-Western attitudes of Chinese consumers (except for Apple)

Yes it is true that the Chinese government did "ban" W8 from companies and government offices here. This might be a reason for the downsizing.

Yes I have experience from both Google and Microsoft so this helps a lot I suppose. But I was mostly lucky to land this job so quickly. I got laid off at the "right time" to put it simple. :)

Regarding the low staff in the Xbox department here in Beijing is probably because most will be focused on in Shanghai. And Microsoft are often quick to employ new staff if they need. Many people wants to work for them. They pay pretty well here in China, actually very well compared to many Chinese companies.

And thanks again for all the support. Even though I have a new job I will miss my old one a lot. It was a great atmosphere here and I liked the staff and my boss. The work was very fun and I lived close to the office. :( :)

The decrease in staff is worrying, hope you are doing alright

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your old job (but happy to hear you found a new one quickly!). What was your old job of W8 about? Support, translation etc.? And what is your new one about? :)

Yep.