By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Online (Wii U) vs Paid Online (PS4 and Xbox One)

think-man said:
d21lewis said:
I can only speak for myself but early last gen, Xbox Live was, in my opinion, easily worth $50 more than the PSN and Nintendo WiFi Connection. Sony stepped their game up in a major way and now, PSN is worth the money, as well. Nintendo still doesn't even have the basics, yet. Yeah, you can find someone to play with some times and if that's all you want, good for you. I need more and Nintendo's competition offer it.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Wii U but the online component is probably Xbox in 2003 quality if that.

Wow is it that bad? 

It has online play (Call of Duty worked great--Mario Kart was plagued with disconnects), limited voice chat, and some leaderboards.  That's about it.  You can't send invites (d21lewis wants to play Ninja Gaiden...), you can't "prefer" people you play online, messages don't give any kind of notification to the receiver (d21lewis sent you a message: good game!), no unified Achievements/Trophies, video chat is only available outside of games, matchmaking is all over the place (noobs vs experts), no party chat, no gameplay sharing--I could write a laundry list comparing PS3/PS4/Xbox One/Xbox 360/Wii/Wii U/Vita/3DS. Nintendo just hasn't put forth any kind of effort to make their online good. 

Around the Network

The only problem I have right now about online is the lack of features and lack of games that use online. Honestly I want almost every Nintendo game to have an online mode .

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

WolfpackN64 said:

the requirement of Playstation Plus to play games online

Incorrect, PS+ is only required for online multiplayer of games that do not require online to function.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

d21lewis said:
think-man said:
d21lewis said:
I can only speak for myself but early last gen, Xbox Live was, in my opinion, easily worth $50 more than the PSN and Nintendo WiFi Connection. Sony stepped their game up in a major way and now, PSN is worth the money, as well. Nintendo still doesn't even have the basics, yet. Yeah, you can find someone to play with some times and if that's all you want, good for you. I need more and Nintendo's competition offer it.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Wii U but the online component is probably Xbox in 2003 quality if that.

Wow is it that bad? 

It has online play (Call of Duty worked great--Mario Kart was plagued with disconnects), limited voice chat, and some leaderboards.  That's about it.  You can't send invites (d21lewis wants to play Ninja Gaiden...), you can't "prefer" people you play online, messages don't give any kind of notification to the receiver (d21lewis sent you a message: good game!), no unified Achievements/Trophies, video chat is only available outside of games, matchmaking is all over the place (noobs vs experts), no party chat, no gameplay sharing--I could write a laundry list comparing PS3/PS4/Xbox One/Xbox 360/Wii/Wii U/Vita/3DS. Nintendo just hasn't put forth any kind of effort to make their online good. 

No wonder they don't charge, I wouldn't pay a cent for that. :/

JazzB1987 said:

Guess what make games have player hosted servers as on PC and you would not have server costs at all.

Microsoft and Sony should let people play for free with their friends on servers they can host on their own and should keep the fee for people that care about online tournaments or leaderboard bullshit etc.

What on earth are you talking about? Players hosting servers? You'd actually want to play on a server hosted by another player? You wouldn't feel like the host had an advantage over you? I've been serious PC gamer my whole life, and the last time I've played something hosted by another player was probably Rainbow 6 and Age of Empires over Zone when that existed.

JazzB1987 said:

There is zero advantage and zero plausible reason for people to be forced to pay a fee to play with their friends. I know my friends dont cheat and If I want a 100% guaranteed cheat free game session I could still play on official servers and then pay a fee. Or play on community servers that also run anticheat software like on PC (this is also free!)

When I play with my friends we usually rent our own server. And that's what you refer as a community server... If you think that this servers just pop out of sky for free, than why don't you pop one out? Last time I've checked 70 player server for BF4 is around 90$/month, so that's ~920$/year with 15% discount. So from my perspective 50$ a year on PS4 or One to play with your friends is not such a bad deal. 

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
I hate paid online. Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't want to pay for nothing. It was always free. MS snuck it in there and then Sony. It's so stupid how consumers accept it, but wouldn't accept an $800 PS4 or XBOne.

Pls thats not even the same thing. Remotely. Paying online for the most part is optional, and there are diffrent PS+ tiers and prices. Don't know how that has anything to do with paying for an $800 console. what are you even talking about? Be rest assured, if they somehow tied the cost of a console to the online service and could go on to sell you a $1000 worth of hardware with a $200 down payment and then a monthly subscription people will probably buy into it.

Completely different thing from this though.

The people who say Nintendo's "free" online is good enough are the same ones who said dial-up was good enough for them when broadband started becoming widely available.

And people seem to forget that when you're gaming online on a console, you're utilizing a network infrastructure that Sony and M$ have built from the ground up and poured hundreds of millions of dollars into over the years. Monetizing their expensive to maintain online service was a smart move on M$'s part from day one and allowed them to expand and get a leg up on the competition. Sony finally saw the writing on the wall and was forced to follow suite for PSN, although they disguised theirs with a glorified game rental program.

The reason online gaming is "free" on PC in most cases is because it's decentralized compared to consoles, often left up to gamers to set up their own servers, and for major digital distribution platforms like Steam and Origin, they make enough dough from game sales and advertising to afford making most of the online components to their games free. (Funny how you always hear complaints about all the "advertising" on XBL and now PSN, but these same folks never complain about getting bombarded with ads whenever they load up Steam or Origin.)

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

There's far, far more to an online network and gaming service that the ability to join and play games online. The lack of unified account system, universal store, social functions (any AT ALL in-game), rewards system, and gameplay sharing all count against it (not to mention the non-interaction or gameplay perks of auto-download/install of updates/patches, etc). These things are the expectations with a new console as they're included by default by the competition. If Nintendo charged, maybe they'd be able to invest in a system that doesn't resemble what the PS2 had + Miiverse.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Holy shit the thread and comments remind me so much of Playstation fans early last gen.

OT: Last gen I thought paying for xbox live was totally fair at the beginning they offered a great service. A service way better than the competition (Sony). Later on in the gen Sony kept improving its network and the difference became negligible for me. That's when xbox live lost its value for me. The fact that Sony offered basically the same for free. Now that Sony charges for its service both xbox live and PSN are close in value for me. Sony has a slight edge since they offer superior games. Nintendo has lots to catch up in my opinion, but when they do and it stays free then their console will increase its value by a lot in my opinion.

I think Games with Gold and the Instant Game Collection do more than make up for the price :D