By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Online (Wii U) vs Paid Online (PS4 and Xbox One)

The whole pay for online issue is the reason why I never bought a 360, now thanks to it im skeptical on getting a PS4 or XBO.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

I can only speak for myself but early last gen, Xbox Live was, in my opinion, easily worth $50 more than the PSN and Nintendo WiFi Connection. Sony stepped their game up in a major way and now, PSN is worth the money, as well. Nintendo still doesn't even have the basics, yet. Yeah, you can find someone to play with some times and if that's all you want, good for you. I need more and Nintendo's competition offer it.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Wii U but the online component is probably Xbox in 2003 quality if that.

WolfpackN64 said:

The one thing I wonder is the argument that the free games that come with XBL and PSN+ make the subscription fee worth it. Am I the only one that just wants to go out, buy a game (physically or digitally), own the game, and not have to bother with paying for the online service? Is the 'plug and play' method outdated? I just don't want to pay for a service that not always delivers (XBL and PSN+ can falter, as does Nintendo's Wifi connection) and offers me a bunch of games, most of which I'll never play, and which the service will lock away from me the moment I stop paying for the service.

What are your thoughts?

I find talk like that flat out strange. I don't condone having to pay to play games online, but thats what it is and i can't do anything about that now... except of course i just stop playing online.

But if paying $50 to play online means I have access to a total of 24 games  each year that i do not have to buy? I don't see why that is a bad thing. Cause you know, I could still just go out and buy a game (physically or digitally) that i care enough about to want to actally own it and not have it tied to a service. I will never understand how anyone can make having more options seem like a bad thing.

Agree with OP 100%.

Intrinsic said:
WolfpackN64 said:

The one thing I wonder is the argument that the free games that come with XBL and PSN+ make the subscription fee worth it. Am I the only one that just wants to go out, buy a game (physically or digitally), own the game, and not have to bother with paying for the online service? Is the 'plug and play' method outdated? I just don't want to pay for a service that not always delivers (XBL and PSN+ can falter, as does Nintendo's Wifi connection) and offers me a bunch of games, most of which I'll never play, and which the service will lock away from me the moment I stop paying for the service.

What are your thoughts?

I find talk like that flat out strange. I don't condone having to pay to play games online, but thats what it is and i can't do anything about that now... except of course i just stop playing online.

But if paying $50 to play online means I have access to a total of 24 games  each year that i do not have to buy? I don't see why that is a bad thing. Cause you know, I could still just go out and buy a game (physically or digitally) that i care enough about to want to actally own it and not have it tied to a service. I will never understand how anyone can make having more options seem like a bad thing.

Or play on systems that don't charge for online.

Around the Network

I hate paid online. Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't want to pay for nothing. It was always free. MS snuck it in there and then Sony. It's so stupid how consumers accept it, but wouldn't accept an $800 PS4 or XBOne.

d21lewis said:
I can only speak for myself but early last gen, Xbox Live was, in my opinion, easily worth $50 more than the PSN and Nintendo WiFi Connection. Sony stepped their game up in a major way and now, PSN is worth the money, as well. Nintendo still doesn't even have the basics, yet. Yeah, you can find someone to play with some times and if that's all you want, good for you. I need more and Nintendo's competition offer it.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Wii U but the online component is probably Xbox in 2003 quality if that.

Wow is it that bad? 

Cheebee said:

I'm glad Nintendo's online is free. You already pay for the console, the games, extra controllers, in some cases DLC, as well as for your internet connection at home, so I see no reason whatsoever why you'd have to pay even more yet to play online. I'm just weird like that.

Exactly,I already pay for my internet at home,I feel like anymore would be like a tax on a tax kinda thing.

WiiU's online can be free all it wants, when you don't like the console this ''feature'' won't draw you in.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I hate paid online. Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't want to pay for nothing. It was always free. MS snuck it in there and then Sony. It's so stupid how consumers accept it, but wouldn't accept an $800 PS4 or XBOne.

Sega snuck it in there first for about $20 a month!  And before them, it was X-Band for like $5 a month.