By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Featured at the Academy Awards

Gnizmo said:
Aj_habfan said:
I wouldn't completly doubt that Nintendo paid for it, I mean all that work for a 15 second joke? Unless they are really desperate to waste time...

Any other product and I would say you were right. Hell, later in the Wii's lifespan and I would agree. The Wii right now though does not seem like the kind of product you shell out the huge amounts of money to advertise for 15 seconds. They recently pulled Wii ads due to not wanting to over-advertise the product due to shortages. I gotta assume it was just Jon Stewart wanting to make a joke.

I agree, that probaly was the case. But if there was an article tomorow saying that Nintendo payed for it (Hypothetical), I wouldn't be surprised.

Around the Network

Yeah, its a fad. Just like NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 were all prominent in most television shows/ movies, so shall the Wii.

azrm2k said:
Mars said:
nin payed out of their ass for that.

You're probably right. Nintendo is suffering right now and needs help with publicity and must go on a massive advertising blitz to salvage the Wii.

Nintendo is probably the only company that I can think of that stopped advertising to try to stop people from wanting their product. 

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Put aside the obvious 'they don't actually need to spend upwards of a million dollars for advertising when they are sold out', but where was "Nintendo Wii" actually advertised in that video? I didn't see one 'wii' or 'nintendo' sign.. therefore i highly doubt it was paid advertisement

@RDBRaptor, what are you talking about stopped advertising, i see atleast 10 Wii ads on TV a day. Half of them are for Brawl and they have been running for atleast two weeks straight and the game does not even come out for atleast two weeks. I have seen more brawl ads on TV then i ever saw for Halo. The last time i ever say a PS3 ad for any of its games or system was DMC two weeks ago.

Around the Network
Griffin said:
@RDBRaptor, what are you talking about stopped advertising, i see atleast 10 Wii ads on TV a day. Half of them are for Brawl and they have been running for atleast two weeks straight and the game does not even come out for atleast two weeks. I have seen more brawl ads on TV then i ever saw for Halo. The last time i ever say a PS3 ad for any of its games or system was DMC two weeks ago.

I was talking about the holiday season.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Griffin said:

Wha? Brawl adds? I haven't seen any Wii adds i can remember since before Christmas. Might just be the "Wii would like to play" gimic wearing off though. I mean i just zone out whenever i hear that nintendo music. They need a new add.

Knowing Jon Stewart he probably just needed to fill time.  I think someone mentioned the Wii on his show fairly recently and he talked about how someone kicked his ass in it.  Some guest was talking about it.  Maybe it was some other interview show. 

Griffin said:
What channel are you watching haven't seen a brawl commercial yet :( ? 

That's pretty cool.

Griffin said:

I still haven't seen these mystical Brawl ads, but I don't watch much TV.

Anyway, Nintendo pulled ads before and during the holiday season, this is true.  They didn't want to advertise a product that was selling out so much...it'd just be a waste of money...and Nintendo is not known for wasting money.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )