By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo loses Wii motion controller lawsuit to Philips

Phil is just so sour at Nintendo.

Around the Network

Ouch! Another loss for "the N word"!

daredevil.shark said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Well........ fuck.

Nintendo REALLY needs better lawyers.

It wouldnt be a matter if nintendo filed the patent first.

it wouldnt be a matter if humanity would be ruled by smart people with smart laws etc.

TBH everyone should be able to sue Philips for filing a patent to NOT use it and therefore preventing humanities technological progress. That would be a smart law.

Ljink96 said:
Phil is just so sour at Nintendo.

That is not the case, in my opinion i doubt CDi not doing very well is or has anything to do with this, its pretty much a cheap way to gain an income stream from other companies products, look at Microsoft and Android. If your company can make money off of other companies sold product at the same time as you can sell a product you make than its pretty much another income stream for your company.

Companies have been doing this for quite many a decade's worth of patent file designs, its not only smart but patents as an Asset on the companies book's may net quite a bit of Money for such company over time.  Some companies are purchased just for the Patents they may hold!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Darwinianevolution said:

This is awful! If this succeds, not only Nintendo is going to pay everyhing Philips demands, but it's also going to set a precedent for patent lawsuits and EVERYONE is going to register things with the hope of future benefits! This is a crime against technological advance! What the heck, Phillips and judges!

I'm not sure if this case is really correct (it would be invalid if Nintendo could prove that the patent is basic tech or that is to generic). But the whole patent system is what makes innovation happen. If you, as company, didn't had any safeguard that a new tech you developed with years of hard work and millions of dollars could not be copied by the first one, you wouldn't create nothing new. Why would I create an Ocullus Rift if as soon as it launched Samsung could buy a retail unit, do reverse engineer and manufacture an exact copy by half the price with their superior manufacturing capacities.

Around the Network

Relax, nothing will happen. Remember that news thingie that threatened to ban 360 sales in Europe or something? Nothing happened.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

1. 3ds was making loss at the beginning.
2. Wii U is making a loss.
3. Nintendo is spending a lot for exclusives.
4. Already spent a lot for other reasons.
5. Might have to pay Philips a good chunk of cash for this.

Suddenly that $8 billion reserve Nintendo has seems very small.

Viltgance said:
they should use that cash and make the CD-i 2

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

torok said:
Darwinianevolution said:

This is awful! If this succeds, not only Nintendo is going to pay everyhing Philips demands, but it's also going to set a precedent for patent lawsuits and EVERYONE is going to register things with the hope of future benefits! This is a crime against technological advance! What the heck, Phillips and judges!

I'm not sure if this case is really correct (it would be invalid if Nintendo could prove that the patent is basic tech or that is to generic). But the whole patent system is what makes innovation happen. If you, as company, didn't had any safeguard that a new tech you developed with years of hard work and millions of dollars could not be copied by the first one, you wouldn't create nothing new. Why would I create an Ocullus Rift if as soon as it launched Samsung could buy a retail unit, do reverse engineer and manufacture an exact copy by half the price with their superior manufacturing capacities.

I'm not against the patent system. I'm against companies claiming a patent and develop the bare minimum just with the intention of making lawsuits. Patents should be more precise to avoid cases like this.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Patent trolling. Phillips knew about this for 8 years now and now they bring it to court. Come on. There just pissed Nintendo ditched them in the 90's when they were stugling with the CD-i.