By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overhyped Game

Which game do you think is the most overhyped?

Reminder: A game can have medicore scores and still be considered overhyped, if someone thinks the scores are undeserved. And, just because someone thinks a game is overrated, it doesn't mean they necessarily hate the game.

Mine is Majora's Mask. It's an awesome game, but I don't think it deserves to be considered #1 by so many people!

Around the Network

The game I over hyped the most was also Majoras Mask. I love it to death but 2000 when I got it I was expecting it to blow my mind like OOT did. Sadly it could not live up to OOT. I hated the dungeons so much. I think the game is a masterpiece though and is my 2nd fav Zelda game.

but game i consider overhyped by others is Last of Us. its barely a game at all. its the same thing as any other 3rd person shooter. realistic brown and gray borefest.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
toot1231 said:
but game i consider overhyped by others is Last of Us. its barely a game at all. its the same thing as any other 3rd person shooter. realistic brown and gray borefest.

I really don't think it is. It's more of a story orientated Stealth/Survival Game than a Third Person Shooter IMO. If you want to look at a 100% Third Person Shooter, look at the first Uncharted game. 

toot1231 said:
The game I over hyped the most was also Majoras Mask. I love it to death but 2000 when I got it I was expecting it to blow my mind like OOT did. Sadly it could not live up to OOT. I hated the dungeons so much. I think the game is a masterpiece though and is my 2nd fav Zelda game.

it's fine if you don't like LoU but I don't get this criticism.  It has very open gameplay.  They give you a fairly large environment and give you free reign to tackle it however you want and scrounge around as much as needed.  I had to restart certain areas even after beating the enemies because using too many resources just screws you over in the future.  Case in point I had to beat a band of bandits with 3 arrows and 2 pistol shots.  So tough and yet so satisfying (on Survivor of course).  It's a gamer's game.  It's full of gameplay and is not overly cinematic despite its strong story.  It is not "barely a game at all."  Go ahead and criticize mechanics or story or art style but that criticism doesn't stand up no matter how many times people say it.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Ocarina of Time is certainly overhyped.

Final Fantasy VII too.

Around the Network

Buckle up...

- All GTA

- All Smash Bros

- All Gran Turismo

- All Final Fantasy

- All Elder Scrolls

- Minecraft

- Killzone 2

- God of War 3

- Heavy Rain

- Wind Waker

- Majora's Mask

- Red Dead Redemption

- Halo 3

- All LittleBigPlanet

- All FIFA

- All Madden

- Demon's Souls

- Dark Souls

Uncharted, all of them.

curl-6 said:

Buckle up...

- All GTA

- All Smash Bros

- All Gran Turismo

- All Final Fantasy

- Killzone 2

- God of War 3

- Heavy Rain

- Wind Waker

- Majora's Mask

- Red Dead Redemption

- Halo 3

- All LittleBigPlanet

- All FIFA

- All Madden

- Demon's Souls

- Dark Souls

Wow...you really don't get excited by many big games.  Oh wait COD, BF, AC, and 2K aren't on your list...

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Uncharted 1

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

The Last of Us

GTA V

FFVII

Titanfall

Half Life 3

Mario 64

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Entire Fable franchise (any hype is too much)

I have many overhyped games, most recently Child of Light and I loved it.

However, my most overhyped game ever naturally is Pikmin 3. 9 YEARS of waiting, and I only got a very disappointing package. It was just many steps back from Pikmin 2. It's like a reboot of Pikmin 1 and I didn't want that.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.