By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 60 is definitely playable, but its not ideal

Areal-Llort said:
The problem with today is people have such high standards that they deem anything lower than 60fps as garbage, same goes for people that care about 1080 resolution.

1080p and 60 FPS have been standards on your average PC for years now. It's rather disappointing in 2014 when next generation consoles still can't hit that. Playing under 60 FPS is not ideal but it's not the end of the world, however it is annoying when many last gen and so far it's looking many current gen games can't even hit 30 FPS.

Around the Network

I'm so used to 60 FPS ever since I've stared gaming on PC. 30 FPS is just a pain to look these days...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

veritaz said:
I have no problem playing with either framerate. Some people act like you're eyes will bleed even though 30 fps is perfectly smooth to me. As long as a game doesn't go to 20 fps or lower I really can't even be bothered to care.

There are console games I stopped playing becaure they ran at 30 (I returned Assasins Creed 4 on PS4 because of it, did not play much of the Mikey Mouse Castel of Illusions on PS3 because of it) ... I tolerated some games that ran at 30fps that were otherwise amazing, like the Uncharted games on PS3... because there were no other way to experience it, but I would gladly re-buy a simple re-compile for ps4 that just fixed the frame rate issues in Uncharted 2 & 3... I may never get Destiny because it's locked at 30fps (it seems to be at 30 in the PS4 alpha anyway).

I upgraded PCs often to get a game to run at a decent frame rate (close to 60).

I have yet to try a 120 or 144hz minotor, in part because I am worried I may fall in love with it and my wallet cannot afford a high end video card + a high price monitor right now...

So yes, my eyes bleed when I play a 30fps game

30 is ....not nice.

but anything above 45 is great......though.....60 is what I expected this generation to have as a BASIC.

Personally I can tell when something is 120fps over 60fps, but I'll never think it's essential.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:
veritaz said:
I have no problem playing with either framerate. Some people act like you're eyes will bleed even though 30 fps is perfectly smooth to me. As long as a game doesn't go to 20 fps or lower I really can't even be bothered to care.

There are console games I stopped playing becaure they ran at 30 (I returned Assasins Creed 4 on PS4 because of it, did not play much of the Mikey Mouse Castel of Illusions on PS3 because of it) ... I tolerated some games that ran at 30fps that were otherwise amazing, like the Uncharted games on PS3... because there were no other way to experience it, but I would gladly re-buy a simple re-compile for ps4 that just fixed the frame rate issues in Uncharted 2 & 3... I may never get Destiny because it's locked at 30fps (it seems to be at 30 in the PS4 alpha anyway).

I upgraded PCs often to get a game to run at a decent frame rate (close to 60).

I have yet to try a 120 or 144hz minotor, in part because I am worried I may fall in love with it and my wallet cannot afford a high end video card + a high price monitor right now...

So yes, my eyes bleed when I play a 30fps game

Sucks for you then. Never had a problem with locked 30 fps because it looks fine. I have had over 110 fps on some games on my PC and it's really not that big of a difference. Past 30 the increase in frames is not as big as it was for up to 30.  Devs seem to agree too because they are more concerned on increasing graphics instead of FPS to 60. 

"snarls at blackbond"

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

WhiteEaglePL said:
30 is ....not nice.

but anything above 45 is great......though.....60 is what I expected this generation to have as a BASIC.

locked 30 is almost always better than ~45 unless you have a monitor with GSync or something like that, because monitor refresh rates are almost always multiples of 30 ie. 30, 60, 90 ,120...

25-30 is fine with me but when it starts dipping closer to 20fps or below, it gets noticeable and becomes an annoyance.

Leadified said:
Areal-Llort said:
The problem with today is people have such high standards that they deem anything lower than 60fps as garbage, same goes for people that care about 1080 resolution.

1080p and 60 FPS have been standards on your average PC for years now. It's rather disappointing in 2014 when next generation consoles still can't hit that. Playing under 60 FPS is not ideal but it's not the end of the world, however it is annoying when many last gen and so far it's looking many current gen games can't even hit 30 FPS.

standard for who?

Unless you have serious money or are willing to tone down graphics to low-medium then 1080p @ 60FPS is absolutely not standard.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|