By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 60 is definitely playable, but its not ideal

Zkuq said:
veritaz said:
I have no problem playing with either framerate. Some people act like you're eyes will bleed even though 30 fps is perfectly smooth to me. As long as a game doesn't go to 20 fps or lower I really can't even be bothered to care.

To me, 30 FPS doesn't even feel as fluid as 60 FPS. And yes, the difference is very noticeable. The first time I noticed it in practice was with MGS2 and MGS3. MGS2 felt very fluid when I first played it (and always after that, naturally, considering it's 60 FPS), but when I played MGS3, it didn't take me long at all to notice it wasn't as fluid. At the time I either didn't understand the concept of framerate or was just beginning to understand it and its meaning, so I'd say it's pretty obvious the difference is clear. To be precise, I think I understood FPS in regard to PC games but had no idea about the standards in console gaming so I had no idea about the FPS of either game.

I was actually thinking about this early on.  Cause I was thinking about the differences of them.  The beginning of MGS 3 was bad cause the framerate was bad early on.  Especially cutscenes.  It had to have been less than 24 cause of how choppy it was.  But I noticed a bit later the framerate manages to lock in at 30 and it was smooth from there.  Same as MGS 2.  In the tanker section, the framerate actually drops outside in the rain.  Though I'm not sure how many people actually noticed that(You can notice the difference from walking outside and then going inside, there's a pretty big jump).  Even then the "fluid when I first played it" is a bit misleading you since the framerate outside the tanker isn't actually 60.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
MikeRox said:
darkknightkryta said:
CGI-Quality said:

Your eyes may adjust, but that doesn't mean 60fps adjusts to 30 by default. Good to see you put "in your experience", though, because in mine, 30, 60, and 120 feel nothing alike.

What I'm trying to get at, is playing at 60fps or higher, you'll eventually get used to it.  True test to say though, is if you go to a game not knowing what the framerate is.  You'd be hard pressed to notice what it really is.  Case in point, Vanquish is one of the most smoothest games out there, yet it does it at 28fps.

It's simply not true, the more used to 60fps you get, the worse 30fps looks.

I did mention that in the previous post that was trimmed.  I said something along the lines of getting used to the max turbo setting in Marvel vs Capcom, then going back to regular and it was really slow.  Until I got used ot it again.

But Marvel Vs Capcom is always 60fps. Turbo mode is the core game speed being increased, not an increased frame rate.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
darkknightkryta said:
MikeRox said:
darkknightkryta said:
CGI-Quality said:

Your eyes may adjust, but that doesn't mean 60fps adjusts to 30 by default. Good to see you put "in your experience", though, because in mine, 30, 60, and 120 feel nothing alike.

What I'm trying to get at, is playing at 60fps or higher, you'll eventually get used to it.  True test to say though, is if you go to a game not knowing what the framerate is.  You'd be hard pressed to notice what it really is.  Case in point, Vanquish is one of the most smoothest games out there, yet it does it at 28fps.

It's simply not true, the more used to 60fps you get, the worse 30fps looks.

I did mention that in the previous post that was trimmed.  I said something along the lines of getting used to the max turbo setting in Marvel vs Capcom, then going back to regular and it was really slow.  Until I got used ot it again.

But Marvel Vs Capcom is always 60fps. Turbo mode is the core game speed being increased, not an increased frame rate.

Are you sure about that?  This is a 2D PSX game we're talking about here...

Yes. Street Fighter 2 on the SNES was 60fps also. Then they release Turbo as a separate game. Still 60fps, but increased core speed so everything ran faster.

Think of it more as 50cc vs 150cc on Mario Kart.

2D Beat em Ups (as with pretty much any game that originated from the arcade) are pretty much always 60fps because you need this for the response time.

A good example for the 30fps vs 60fps debate, would be to try Ridge Racer on PS1, then try the special "Ridge Racer Hi Spec Demo" disc that came with Ridge Racer Type 4, which has a 60fps port of the original Ridge Racer. That'll show you how much smoother the gameplay is, however you'll also still be doing exactly the same lap times.

They originally aimed for 60fps on type 4, but were unable to achieve with with the visuals they had. So they decided to redo the original ridge racer on PS1 to show how it should look (the arcade version was also 60fps).

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Check this page out. It tests whether or not you can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

http://i.minus.com/ilu3oMbBsXsT1.gif

Were you able to tell?

Around the Network
20happyballs said:
Check this page out. It tests whether or not you can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

http://hiresreset.tumblr.com/post/47287084062/space-left-intentionally-blank

Were you able to tell?

Couldn't notice on the first but got the 2nd and 3rd right.  They look smoother.  

The animation looks more human like, if that makes sense; it doesn't look as much like an animation but the motion of a person.  

30fps is fine but I could get spoiled on 60fps.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

He's obviously a PC "elitist". He's only started talking about MS recently, because of the bad press they've had recently, the only console manufactuer he's concerned with is Nintendo. He talks the least about Sony, not because he likes them, but because they've had good pr. He only talks about PC ips and Nintendo in general.

This. Blackb0nd's not exactly a Sony fanboy like most of you think that he is.

Also, the reason he's bashing Nintendo constantly is because the company themselves refuse to shape up by today's standards in which the market has been heading towards to.

CGI-Quality said:
20happyballs said:

http://hiresreset.tumblr.com/post/47287084062/space-left-intentionally-blank

Were you able to tell?

Um, yes, easily.

Better comparison: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com < Be sure to compare 120fps to 60 as well. As I tell people, 120fps is where it's at, and can be, in most cases, distinguished from 60fps (albeit, not quite as easily as 30-to-60). 60-to-120 is still pretty noticeable, though, and it is one reason I'm more of a: "120fps or GTFO" kinda guy.

I'm actually a little sad that in both links I passed a 30vs60 test. Just barely in the first picture in 20happyballs' post though, but it was noticable. It's bothersome because I won't have a choice in the console exclusives that I play. Couldn't test 120 because my monitors don't support it as far as I can tell.

4 ≈ One