By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 60 is definitely playable, but its not ideal

What? If 60fps was a standard in the 7th gen, it would also be in the 8th gen. Consoles don't get weaker.

Around the Network
Leadified said:
Shinobi-san said:
Leadified said:
Areal-Llort said:
The problem with today is people have such high standards that they deem anything lower than 60fps as garbage, same goes for people that care about 1080 resolution.

1080p and 60 FPS have been standards on your average PC for years now. It's rather disappointing in 2014 when next generation consoles still can't hit that. Playing under 60 FPS is not ideal but it's not the end of the world, however it is annoying when many last gen and so far it's looking many current gen games can't even hit 30 FPS.

standard for who?

Unless you have serious money or are willing to tone down graphics to low-medium then 1080p @ 60FPS is absolutely not standard.

There is a severe overestimate on how much you need to run a game at 1080p 60 fps. You really do not need a beast rig or a lot of money to run a game well or go through a bunch of trouble as long as the game was somewhat optimized.

You said 1080p @ 60FPS has been standard on your average PC for years now? Where did you get that from?

What games are you talking about?

At what settings are these games running at?

And what, in your opinion, is a standard PC spec?

To run the latest games at medium - high graphics settings (this should include a decent level of anisotropic filtering) at 1080p and maintain 60FPS is NOT what an average PC has been doing for years. That is a complete lie, considering that the average PC most likely only has integrated graphics.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
Leadified said:
Shinobi-san said:
Leadified said:

1080p and 60 FPS have been standards on your average PC for years now. It's rather disappointing in 2014 when next generation consoles still can't hit that. Playing under 60 FPS is not ideal but it's not the end of the world, however it is annoying when many last gen and so far it's looking many current gen games can't even hit 30 FPS.

standard for who?

Unless you have serious money or are willing to tone down graphics to low-medium then 1080p @ 60FPS is absolutely not standard.

There is a severe overestimate on how much you need to run a game at 1080p 60 fps. You really do not need a beast rig or a lot of money to run a game well or go through a bunch of trouble as long as the game was somewhat optimized.

You said 1080p @ 60FPS has been standard on your average PC for years now? Where did you get that from?

To run the latest games at medium - high graphics settings (this should include a decent level of anisotropic filtering) at 1080p and maintain 60FPS is NOT what an average PC has been doing for years. That is a complete lie, considering that the average PC most likely only has integrated graphics.

I can tell that this argument is going to go nowhere fast, so I'm not going to bother. Have a nice day.

Leadified said:
Shinobi-san said:

I can tell that this argument is going to go nowhere fast, so I'm not going to bother. Have a nice day.

Good. Atleast you wont dispute that what you said was incorrect.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
Leadified said:
Shinobi-san said:

Good. Atleast you wont dispute that what you said was incorrect.

If that's what to you want to believe, that's fine with me. But here's a newsflash if you're going to try to call me out on "complete lies" and counter with your own baseless arguments and leading questions. And also judging how quick you are to call victory then I really have no desire to debate with you.

Around the Network

Meanwhile gamers have loved 30FPS Halo for years. Gamers loved 20FPS Ocarina of Time. Gamers loved Final Fantasy VII at well below 60FPS, likely it was ~30FPS or less.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Leadified said:
Areal-Llort said:
The problem with today is people have such high standards that they deem anything lower than 60fps as garbage, same goes for people that care about 1080 resolution.

The next-gen consoles are severely gimped. They could hit 1080p/60fps easily if devs had access to more power.

As it stands, only 6 cores and 5GB of RAM are available for PS4 devs, which is significantly worse than most mid-high end AMD cards, which are in turn seen as much worse than intel cards.

It's a little sad, really. Devs don't have access to nearly as much power as people think they do, so you can't blame them if they can't hit 1080p/60fps constantly. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Euphoria14 said:
Meanwhile gamers have loved 30FPS Halo for years. Gamers loved 20FPS Ocarina of Time. Gamers loved Final Fantasy VII at well below 60FPS, likely it was ~30FPS or less.

To be fair, OOT, Halo and FF7 were pioneers for the new 3D era. You could forgive the blocky graphics and choppy framerate because the novelity of playing in 3D for the first time (or being among the first big console FPSes in the case of Halo)  was worth so much more. So resolution and FPS are definitely not the end all be all of all games.

Leadified said:
Euphoria14 said:

To be fair, OOT, Halo and FF7 were pioneers for the new 3D era. You could forgive the blocky graphics and choppy framerate because the novelity of playing in 3D for the first time (or being among the first big console FPSes in the case of Halo)  was worth so much more. So resolution and FPS are definitely not the end all be all of all games.

I just think that while 60FPS is nice, it isn't something you absolutely NEED in order for a game to be enjoyable. My laptop runs Skyrim with like 50 mods, but I can only get like 30FPS out of it when making it look that damn nice. Doesn't hurt my experience at all.

Maybe I am just out of the loop since I am mainly a lifetime RPG player.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

VanceIX said:
Leadified said:

The next-gen consoles are severely gimped. They could hit 1080p/60fps easily if devs had access to more power.

As it stands, only 6 cores and 5GB of RAM are available for PS4 devs, which is significantly worse than most mid-high end AMD cards, which are in turn seen as much worse than intel cards.

It's a little sad, really. Devs don't have access to nearly as much power as people think they do, so you can't blame them if they can't hit 1080p/60fps constantly. 

That is true, though really as long as developers try to push the hardware they are working on, I have no problems. Credit where credit is due if Uncharted looks as good as it did in the trailer and performs well then that's awesome, and really seeing what happened last gen I have more faith in what the developer can do than just sole hardware.