By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony make another handheld?

Will they make another handheld?

yes 21 18.42%

no 81 71.05%

hybrid console 12 10.53%

Total:114

I think there is a good chance they'll give it one more go. Most likely try a handheld/phone hybrid. Now, if the next one sells as poorly as the Vita, then yea, they will be done for good.

On a related note, not sure how long Nintendo will stay in, either. I think the 3DS is going to become their worst selling handheld to date, though, still pulling off good numbers. But, if handheld gaming continues to dwindle, there goes their bread and butter.

Around the Network

NO.

and I think the next nintendo handheld will be the last.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I hope its their last one...
They arent even supporting the Vita.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Probably not.

Hard to say I think they're gonna ditch the Vita real soon though. If there isn't an announcement by next year then no, they won't.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
I think there is a good chance they'll give it one more go. Most likely try a handheld/phone hybrid. Now, if the next one sells as poorly as the Vita, then yea, they will be done for good

Agree with that. A phone/handheld hybrid could be great, I had great hopes for the Xperia Play, but in the end I think Sony didn't knew what to do. The rumours were about the "PlayStation Phone", but in the end they kept it separated from the PS brand, probably to avoid clashes with PSP and the future Vita. They would need to do it for real this time and brand it as PlayStation, not Xperia. And honestly, the PS brand is much more succesful and recognized worldwide than the Xperia brand and, unlike phones, an hybrid device could actually use any of the two brands, so they would just go with the strongest one.

I actually like this idea. Instead of going against the smartphone/tablet onslaught, just get the best of both worlds.

Nope. Vita is already dragging itself.

Definitely not. They don't need to lose any more money making a handheld that might not sell.

Depends on how well the Vita sells for the next 4-5 years, so in other words unlikely. I kinda want Sony to give another go because I believe that if they do, they'll do it right this time (or at least, better).

I'm intrigued with thismeintiel's of a handheld/smartphone hybrid. On paper, it sounds like a good idea, but the huge issue is cost.

Of course they will. Without a doubt. There is an obvious market for it. Will it be a classic handheld? Don't know.