By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's holiday plan (Big WIN)

BeElite said:
eFKac said:

Well it feels old to me and to you, but I know that it does not feel old to my college friends rocking their PS3's and a couple odd 360's, who play FIFA every year mixed with NBA, a fighting game every once in a while, Battlefield or sometimes CoD, and GTA V which was a phenomenon. They will see all those games in shops this holiday season on their platform of choice.

Those of them who are more into games and know already what is releasing this and next year, are not upgrading as they are waiting for more exclusives (and I can't blame them) or are Japanese games fans and have no reason at all.

Sure those are just a couple of random examples, but that's simply how it looks this year, and I don't see a strong reason why it should change, other than PS4 is selling well, because it's the PS4. Next year is the time when the mainstream gamer will see a commercial on the web or TV, will go to a shop and won't find this awesome looking game available on his PS3, that's when he won't have much choice.

Your missing the big picture though, what ever your frineds do is irrelevent compared to the hundreths of millions average consumers that will be bombareded with PS4 X1 wiiU commercials, moms and pops that will be buying their brat a shiny new game system as a present.  Every retailer will be pushing the new consoles and will use any bs spin to sale them, not that ill be all that hard to do. 

Publisher to will be pushing the new systems as its in their best intrest to speed up adoption.  Also gaming as a whole now is bigger then ever, more potential console buyers then ever. 

Well yes of course you think that, I think different, we'll see who is correct in a couple of months.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network
DM235 said:

You have to remember that the Wii had mass appeal, and a low price, so it had everyone including soccer moms and seniors buying it.  Obviously, I could be wrong, but I just don't see that happening with the PS4.  

What the PS4 does have going for it is younger gamers who grew up on the Wii now moving on to the PS4 to play more mature games, and 360 gamers who are either mad at Microsoft, or who were won over by the Sony exclusives.

Historically, console sales follow a "mountain" curve.  Sales keep increasing yearly, and then slowly decrease.  Last gen did have exceptions on the tail end, but I think those were just that - exceptions.  I don't think the PS4 will have record breaking sales (ie beat Wii's 2009 records) in its 2nd holiday season.  If you are just thinking that the 2nd holiday sales for PS4 can beat the 2nd holiday sales for the Wii, then I do think that is possible.  

PS4 is the one with the mass appeal, might lack grannys and waggle but its ok that didnt stop PS2 now did it.

Historically consoles also have a slow first year, this gens early sales show its all happening faster then before.  The curve migth peak much sooner, though of course id say 2015 would be bigger.

Alot of it is also how much overall market does % PS4 takes.

CDiablo said:
4 of the 6 games you named are available on PS3/4 X360/1. Not making a good argument.

The difference is that they are only marketed for PS4 so people would associate a certain game with that console. Look at Watch Dogs. Install base doesn't mean that much in the end. Nearly all games when released during the same time sell better on next gen 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

iceland said:
CDiablo said:
4 of the 6 games you named are available on PS3/4 X360/1. Not making a good argument.

Was thinking the same thing, I could easily make the same OP about MS with the exclusives changed.

No yu cannot..see watch dogs, amazing people still don't get majority of gamers don;t bu console for exclusives.

Eh more excited for Hyrule Warriors,Bayonetta 2,Devils Third,Toads Adventure,Smash WiiU,Fantasy Life

Nintendo finishing off the year strong

Around the Network
BeElite said:
DM235 said:

You have to remember that the Wii had mass appeal, and a low price, so it had everyone including soccer moms and seniors buying it.  Obviously, I could be wrong, but I just don't see that happening with the PS4.  

What the PS4 does have going for it is younger gamers who grew up on the Wii now moving on to the PS4 to play more mature games, and 360 gamers who are either mad at Microsoft, or who were won over by the Sony exclusives.

Historically, console sales follow a "mountain" curve.  Sales keep increasing yearly, and then slowly decrease.  Last gen did have exceptions on the tail end, but I think those were just that - exceptions.  I don't think the PS4 will have record breaking sales (ie beat Wii's 2009 records) in its 2nd holiday season.  If you are just thinking that the 2nd holiday sales for PS4 can beat the 2nd holiday sales for the Wii, then I do think that is possible.  

PS4 is the one with the mass appeal, might lack grannys and waggle but its ok that didnt stop PS2 now did it.

Historically consoles also have a slow first year, this gens early sales show its all happening faster then before.  The curve migth peak much sooner, though of course id say 2015 would be bigger.

Alot of it is also how much overall market does % PS4 takes.

PS2 was also a good DVD player.  That was its key for mass appeal.  Like you mentioned, the Wii had waggle.

I don't see the PS4 having the same appeal.  The PS4 will have Morpheus, but I think it will be too expensive for the mass market.  The PS4 is just a really good console that will appeal to most gamers.  Since the gaming market has grown since the PS2 days, it will see some great sales.  But again, I have my doubts that it will break the Wii's record.  Mind you, it will probably be the 2nd best selling console of all time if it maintains its current pace.  Not a bad thing at all.

Ryudo said:
Eh more excited for Hyrule Warriors,Bayonetta 2,Devils Third,Toads Adventure,Smash WiiU,Fantasy Life

Doesnt touch just the multiplats on ps4.....Of course a nintendo fan will say this, Devils third looks terrible, toads adventure? lol.

TheBoneCollector said:
Ryudo said:

Doesnt touch just the multiplats on ps4.....Of course a nintendo fan will say this, Devils third looks terrible, toads adventure? lol.

I don't care about those multiplats. yes Toads Adventure levels were awesome on 3D world. Devils 3rd is a Very Japanese B game which I love. I tgive soff the vibe of a Platinum Games game without being PG developed. Also has a cool looking multiplayer and a nice map editor. I kow you are trying to turn this into herp derp WiiU teh sux but not fallin for it. Love the system I get all consoles I buy the games that appeal to me no matter the system. Just this year to me WiiU is more appealing for me over XBO and PS4. If you want to flame with the lulz BS fine by me not going to change my view.

TheTriforce said:

Without 3rd Party support Sony would be nothing in the Videogame Industry!!!

Just like Microsoft and Nintendo look how wii u sold porly despite Nintendo first party

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

TheTriforce said:

Without 3rd Party support Sony would be nothing in the Videogame Industry!!!

Neither would Nintendo or MS.....Fostering an envrionment where more devs, games are sucessfull is a good thing, trying to spin it as a negative is cringe worthy. Nws, SNES had massive third party support, as did wii, guess what 3 of nintenods biggets consoles. look at wii-u, low third party support, low sales.