By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's holiday plan (Big WIN)

DM235 said:
I don't think it will break records. I needs to be under $250 to do that.

I still think Destiny will be the game that decides this holiday season. If that pushes PS4s in September, the word of mouth from students will push their friends to get it for Christmas. The other games are just icing on the cake.

Why?  What law states that lol?

Around the Network
wary-wallaroo said:
A_C_E said:
CDiablo said:
BeElite said:
CDiablo said:
4 of the 6 games you named are available on PS3/4 X360/1. Not making a good argument.

PS4 Watch Dogs 1,856,387
XOne Watch Dogs 898,780

yahh really matters not they are on X1.

Yeah but you are arguing Sony will have a huge holiday based on multiplatform games. Sony will move more software I guess, but I dont know how multiplats will help Sony or MS move consoles. THis stuff is also available on PC for people that are graphics whores. You should focus on exclusives to make your arguement.

No offense but you don't know what you are talking about. I think you missed how much Watch Dogs boosted the PS4 yet did nothing to the Xbox One. Check the sales and you will see how important a big multiplatform release will be for PS4 this holiday season. It does not matter if its multiplatform, it matters which system people want that multiplatform game on, and the answer to that question is PS4, hence the boost. Your welcome.

Exactly, I don't understand how some can downplay the importance of exclusuve marketing after seeing WD unless they're being purposefully dense.

Destiny will move more PS4s than the HCC will move X1s.  And with a very strong 2015 lineup, Sony will also do great next year.

Once Halo 5 is on sight, a price drop plus UC4 will nullify any advantage MS could gain. By the time Gears is out in 2016, the PS4 will be tens of millions ahead, it'll be irrelevant

Well it wasn't just the marketing.  Keep in mind every gaming outlet reported how the PS4 version looked better and had exclusive missions.  Add that to the marketing and I believe Sony has stumbled upon a winning formula!

Captain_Tom said:
DM235 said:
I don't think it will break records. I needs to be under $250 to do that.

I still think Destiny will be the game that decides this holiday season. If that pushes PS4s in September, the word of mouth from students will push their friends to get it for Christmas. The other games are just icing on the cake.

Why?  What law states that lol?

The law of "in my opinion".

My reasoning is that for something to break Wii's records it has to be cheap enough to be affordable to (nearly) everyone.  I don't think $399 is that price point.  I was originally thinking $199, but I think it is doable at $249.

I don't think either PS4 or Xbone will have huge sales this holiday season, their line ups are simply not good enough and majority of 3rd party games are still cross gen.There is still little reason for the mainstream gamer to jump to next gen. Destiny is a great call by Sony and the bundle will help immensly though.
Sales won't be bad or anything but some crazy Wii or PS2 levels are out of question imo.
I agree though that it's a good idea to have LBP 3 so quick on the PS4, as with all the Lego, Disney, and Skylanders games + LBP, it starts to become a viable platform for kids.
What is good for PS4 though is that it has a very good chance to maintain the strong holiday momentum into next year with games like The Witcher 3, The Order, Dying Light, Dead Island 2, Bloodborne being all currently slated for Q1 or "early" 2015.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

DM235 said:

My reasoning is that for something to break Wii's records it has to be cheap enough to be affordable to (nearly) everyone.  I don't think $399 is that price point.  I was originally thinking $199, but I think it is doable at $249.

yes and no.

If there was better competion at much lower price yahh.  But 399 seems to be just fine these days and given the comp is not exactly super strong its possible.  Europe record possible much much more.

Around the Network
eFKac said:

Sales won't be bad or anything but some crazy Wii or PS2 levels are out of question imo.

Why not ?

you underestimate how old the previous gen feels and how much better the new is.  With the PS4 domminating as it is records will fall if it takes high margins of holiday sales.  As i said earlier in Europe records are more likely to fall, NA could be hell of a tough time.  Else where i just dont know.

BeElite said:
eFKac said:

Why not ?

you underestimate how old the previous gen feels and how much better the new is.  With the PS4 domminating as it is records will fall if it takes high margins of holiday sales.  As i said earlier in Europe records are more likely to fall, NA could be hell of a tough time.  Else where i just dont know.

Well it feels old to me and to you, but I know that it does not feel old to my college friends rocking their PS3's and a couple odd 360's, who play FIFA every year mixed with NBA, a fighting game every once in a while, Battlefield or sometimes CoD, and GTA V which was a phenomenon. They will see all those games in shops this holiday season on their platform of choice.

Those of them who are more into games and know already what is releasing this and next year, are not upgrading as they are waiting for more exclusives (and I can't blame them) or are Japanese games fans and have no reason at all.

Sure those are just a couple of random examples, but that's simply how it looks this year, and I don't see a strong reason why it should change, other than PS4 is selling well, because it's the PS4. Next year is the time when the mainstream gamer will see a commercial on the web or TV, will go to a shop and won't find this awesome looking game available on his PS3, that's when he won't have much choice.

Edit. Not to mention that PS2 pretty much had no competition, Wii was a casual phenomenon, and this time we have the PS4 which will see maybe not as strong Xbone, but definitely stronger competition that PS2 faced, so it will cut into the potential numbers that PS4 might have put.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

2014 will be bigger for Sony than 2013 was. 2015 is with a price cut may very well be the record breaker.

BeElite said:
DM235 said:

yes and no.

If there was better competion at much lower price yahh.  But 399 seems to be just fine these days and given the comp is not exactly super strong its possible.  Europe record possible much much more.

You have to remember that the Wii had mass appeal, and a low price, so it had everyone including soccer moms and seniors buying it.  Obviously, I could be wrong, but I just don't see that happening with the PS4.  

What the PS4 does have going for it is younger gamers who grew up on the Wii now moving on to the PS4 to play more mature games, and 360 gamers who are either mad at Microsoft, or who were won over by the Sony exclusives.

Historically, console sales follow a "mountain" curve.  Sales keep increasing yearly, and then slowly decrease.  Last gen did have exceptions on the tail end, but I think those were just that - exceptions.  I don't think the PS4 will have record breaking sales (ie beat Wii's 2009 records) in its 2nd holiday season.  If you are just thinking that the 2nd holiday sales for PS4 can beat the 2nd holiday sales for the Wii, then I do think that is possible.  

eFKac said:

Well it feels old to me and to you, but I know that it does not feel old to my college friends rocking their PS3's and a couple odd 360's, who play FIFA every year mixed with NBA, a fighting game every once in a while, Battlefield or sometimes CoD, and GTA V which was a phenomenon. They will see all those games in shops this holiday season on their platform of choice.

Those of them who are more into games and know already what is releasing this and next year, are not upgrading as they are waiting for more exclusives (and I can't blame them) or are Japanese games fans and have no reason at all.

Sure those are just a couple of random examples, but that's simply how it looks this year, and I don't see a strong reason why it should change, other than PS4 is selling well, because it's the PS4. Next year is the time when the mainstream gamer will see a commercial on the web or TV, will go to a shop and won't find this awesome looking game available on his PS3, that's when he won't have much choice.

Your missing the big picture though, what ever your frineds do is irrelevent compared to the hundreths of millions average consumers that will be bombareded with PS4 X1 wiiU commercials, moms and pops that will be buying their brat a shiny new game system as a present.  Every retailer will be pushing the new consoles and will use any bs spin to sale them, not that ill be all that hard to do. 

Publisher to will be pushing the new systems as its in their best intrest to speed up adoption.  Also gaming as a whole now is bigger then ever, more potential console buyers then ever.