By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox team still doesn't get it "Original Xbox One vision was right, digital is the future"

Digital is the future of the industry?

I have to agree 97 27.79%

Not for a while 146 41.83%

Not sure yet 22 6.30%

Why mandatory!! 84 24.07%

Total:349

For films people use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and maybe µTorrent. The Blu-Ray is not the future!
For music people use iTunes, Spotify. The CD is not the future!
For messaging people use Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Letters are not the future!
For casual gaming people use Smartphones, iPads with downloadable content. DVDs are not the future!
For "real" gaming the high-tech core gamers use .....
.....Steam, GOG. Blu-ray is not the future!

For console gaming......

.....Blu-ray IS the future?

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:

For films people use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and maybe µTorrent. The Blu-Ray is not the future!
For messaging people use Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Letters are not the future!
For casual gaming people use Smartphones, iPads with downloadable content. DVDs are not the future!

For console gaming......

I dunno about whatever formats you talking about but... is broadband the future? I can't even get a decent 2 mbs connection at this point. Donwloading an indie games SUCKS at this point, lets not mention a real game with 6-36 GB of assets. Gaming, real gaming, is still absolutely dependant on physical gaming.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Of course digital is the future, but just don't physical away from me just yet.

But who really believed they 'got it'?
Doing something because they believe in it and doing something because they are forced into it are two very different things. The pressure on them can ease off but its much harder to change their beliefs... which I dont think will ever change.

The most dangerous part of this is that if they get a chance to bring those policies back and people support them, then other companies will start doing the same. For example now Sony think its ok to charge people to play online on top of the price they pay for software and an internet connection.

dharh said:
baloofarsan said:

For console gaming......

I dunno about whatever formats you talking about but... is broadband the future? I can't even get a decent 2 mbs connection at this point. Donwloading an indie games SUCKS at this point, lets not mention a real game with 6-36 GB of assets. Gaming, real gaming, is still absolutely dependant on physical gaming.

I am no longer in your position, slow connection, but I have been there. If you interest is big enough time - wating for the dowload to complete - is of no big deal. I have dowloaded things during night or other period away from home. That you will have a hard time playing online is another problem that is hard to solve. For places whitout broadband or weak broadband MS, Sony & Nintendo should provide with some retail solutions with for example USB-memory transferable purchases. Something like WiiConnect24 or SpotPass maybe also could be used for slow connections.

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:
animegaming said:
toastboy44562 said:
Xbox is always right none should argue!

even if they say Hitler was a good person? XD

xbox wouldnt ever say that because theyre always right!

But they said Xbox would never come without kinect and said its coming without kinect, how does that work. 

fps_d0minat0r said:
Doing something because they believe in it and doing something because they are forced into it are two very different things. The pressure on them can ease off but its much harder to change their beliefs... which I dont think will ever change.

The most dangerous part of this is that if they get a chance to bring those policies back and people support them, then other companies will start doing the same. For example now Sony think its ok to charge people to play online on top of the price they pay for software and an internet connection.

You are OK with purchasing the software (you could go to Pirate Bay)!

You are OK with paying for the internet connection (inrastructure)!

But you are not OK with paying for extended services (also infrastructure)?

This is after all a hobby for the well-off. Or you could go the pirate way and get it all for free.

RolStoppable said:
Xenostar said:
toastboy44562 said:
xbox wouldnt ever say that because theyre always right!

But they said Xbox would never come without kinect and said its coming without kinect, how does that work. 

They made the mistake to hire a guy that worked for Sony. Old habits are hard to get rid of.

Phil Harrison double agent strikes again!

I hope they bring it all back, i really do!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

baloofarsan said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

You are OK with purchasing the software (you could go to Pirate Bay)!

You are OK with paying for the internet connection (inrastructure)!

But you are not OK with paying for extended services (also infrastructure)?

This is after all a hobby for the well-off. Or you could go the pirate way and get it all for free.

Name me one part of the 'infrastructure' which other companies do not offer similar services for free.

VOIP - Skype has always been free, and tons and tons of free voip software on PC even by smaller companies than Sony or MS.

Databases - again, tons of smaller companies (or even individuals), have sites and can maintain databases with lots of user information, no-one charges you to hold onto your information, its in their interest because they need it to process transactions which earn them money.

Servers - not every game uses dedicated servers and of the ones which do, those servers are not always provided by Sony or MS. In cases where they are supporting their own games with servers, you are paying a price to access those servers when you buy the game. It also means if you want to rent your own server for a game like BF, you have to pay twice which is silly.

XB/PS store servers - You pay to buy a product from the store, you shouldnt have to pay for the maintenance of the servers which let you download it, thats stupid.

Just go and read the reviews for plants vs zombies on Amazon. PS4 version is going to face similar consequences, especially when casuals who bought a PS4 are expecting it to be free like PS3, but are yet unaware that they have to pay for online.