By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox team still doesn't get it "Original Xbox One vision was right, digital is the future"

Digital is the future of the industry?

I have to agree 97 27.79%

Not for a while 146 41.83%

Not sure yet 22 6.30%

Why mandatory!! 84 24.07%

Total:349

Digital is the future, like children. Digital Children are the future.

So yeah, just next time MS, don't assume we are all thieves and make digital content competitive, don't force it and digital will take over. No one forced people to download music instead of buying it on CDs it was just better value, more convenient and a easier. At this currently time, Blu-Ray discs are still better value (shop competition drives down prices), more convenient (walk into a shop, buy and play) and easier (pay for download, wait 15 hours for 30gb file to download or buy blu-ray, start playing). Give it time MS and your digital future will happen, just not yet.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Amazing, why is he bringing this up right now? Just as the Xbox is trying to get a consistent message across about what it stands for and after a good E3 you get Yusuf Mehdi who somehow escaped getting the boot along with Don Mattrick reminiscing on the failed policy's that got the Xbox into the mess that it found itself in. Time for that boot to come out again!

dharh said:
baloofarsan said:

For films people use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and maybe µTorrent. The Blu-Ray is not the future!
For music people use iTunes, Spotify. The CD is not the future!
For messaging people use Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Letters are not the future!
For casual gaming people use Smartphones, iPads with downloadable content. DVDs are not the future!
For "real" gaming the high-tech core gamers use .....
.....Steam, GOG. Blu-ray is not the future!

For console gaming......

.....Blu-ray IS the future?

I dunno about whatever formats you talking about but... is broadband the future? I can't even get a decent 2 mbs connection at this point. Donwloading an indie games SUCKS at this point, lets not mention a real game with 6-36 GB of assets. Gaming, real gaming, is still absolutely dependant on physical gaming.

the avarage connection in the netherlands can download 10.8 GB in an hour

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Not for me. Fuck that. The last week after a bad afternoon thunderstorm internet was down for 2 days at home, I watched some blueray movies since I couldnt stream netflix. If i had been digital, i wouldnt had shit other than regular TV that I hardly watch. plus full price digital games are a joke.

plus i like to trade in things i dont really want to play anymore or buy used games when money is tight or something i wanted but didnt want to pay full price for it for whatever reason. I dont want to give that freedom up to conform to someones version of the "future".

He is right on the fact that digital is the future (altough I have just some digital bought and 90% of my digital is psn+, physical I'm close to 150). But he is wrong on thinking they had the better chart to get there. If their proposition were good they wouldn't avoid answering about it for six months and then say "we didn't had time to explain our vision".
They made a bold bet to try to rip off the consumer and dominate the market got caught red handed and start blamming media outlet and customers while 180 based on knee jerk reaction.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

he is totally right

i would have loved all that features...

they just schould give (the other) games the coice to use normal discs like alyways

digital purchace = digital advantages

physical purchase = physycal "advantages" (i never understood, why this used games stuff is such a big deal.)

As I said, I am in all digital. It sure helps to live in Europe without any data caps and similar.

fps_d0minat0r said:
baloofarsan said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
But who really believed they 'got it'?
Doing something because they believe in it and doing something because they are forced into it are two very different things. The pressure on them can ease off but its much harder to change their beliefs... which I dont think will ever change.

The most dangerous part of this is that if they get a chance to bring those policies back and people support them, then other companies will start doing the same. For example now Sony think its ok to charge people to play online on top of the price they pay for software and an internet connection.

You are OK with purchasing the software (you could go to Pirate Bay)!

You are OK with paying for the internet connection (inrastructure)!

But you are not OK with paying for extended services (also infrastructure)?

This is after all a hobby for the well-off. Or you could go the pirate way and get it all for free.

Name me one part of the 'infrastructure' which other companies do not offer similar services for free. We all dream it will be free but somehow, sooner or later, REAL money has to come into the system. Still there are a lot of investing hoping for future dominance and profit rewards.

VOIP - Skype has always been free, and tons and tons of free voip software on PC even by smaller companies than Sony or MS. Why MS bought Skype is anybodys guess. The main reason is, again, an in investment in the future.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/30/skype-microsoft-acquisition-analysis.

Even before Big Money bought into it they had to have someway of making money. 

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA335/how-does-skype-make-money

Databases - again, tons of smaller companies (or even individuals), have sites and can maintain databases with lots of user information, no-one charges you to hold onto your information, its in their interest because they need it to process transactions which earn them money. ...or you could pay them for not using you private information.

Servers - not every game uses dedicated servers and of the ones which do, those servers are not always provided by Sony or MS. In cases where they are supporting their own games with servers, you are paying a price to access those servers when you buy the game. It also means if you want to rent your own server for a game like BF, you have to pay twice which is silly.

XB/PS store servers - You pay to buy a product from the store, you shouldnt have to pay for the maintenance of the servers which let you download it, thats stupid.

Just go and read the reviews for plants vs zombies on Amazon. PS4 version is going to face similar consequences, especially when casuals who bought a PS4 are expecting it to be free like PS3, but are yet unaware that they have to pay for online.

Everyone has to make money, sooner or later. How they do it affects you, sometimes directly trough having to pay for entrance, sometimes indirectly by being the target of advertisment. This site urges us NOT to use adblock, because their servers, database and staff has to have money. Here is an easy explenation on money making: 

http://rcs.seerinteractive.com/money/ 

How do our favorite tech companies make money?

fps_d0minat0r said:
baloofarsan said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Servers - not every game uses dedicated servers and of the ones which do, those servers are not always provided by Sony or MS. In cases where they are supporting their own games with servers, you are paying a price to access those servers when you buy the game. It also means if you want to rent your own server for a game like BF, you have to pay twice which is silly.

Her is some real world costs for servers: 

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3832058.ece

Sorry but it is swedish but here is a translation:

The Facebook serverhall  in Sweden uses 1 TWh electricty annualy. That is roughly 1% of Swedens total electricity consumption.

This has to be paid, so even if you think facebook is free, they make money on us, as a collective, in many ways - mainly ads!

Digital revolutionised Music, TV, Movies, Pictures, newspapers, books, audiobooks and a big part of gaming already. Yet some people think digital is not the future?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...