By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: Xbox ONE should have the advantage over the long term.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft is not a longer term style console. They will have to spend the whole gen throwing away cash for games to random companies. They cannot keep up with Sony's development and ten year profitability cycle. This was completely proven by the PS3.

Can we wait for Sony to actually hit 10 years with PS3, or actually make a profit with PS3 before we start making such silly comments?

Also, MS is in its 10th year with the 360 (in terms of being on the market in 10 different years anyway) and seems to be doing fine supporting the platform.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft is not a longer term style console. They will have to spend the whole gen throwing away cash for games to random companies. They cannot keep up with Sony's development and ten year profitability cycle. This was completely proven by the PS3.

Can we wait for Sony to actually hit 10 years with PS3, or actually make a profit with PS3 before we start making such silly comments?

Also, MS is in its 10th year with the 360 (in terms of being on the market in 10 different years anyway) and seems to be doing fine supporting the platform.

PS3 is profiting and they've out produced the Xbox since 2009. The point was proven long ago. Gamespot even noted that Sony outproduced both Microsoft and Nintendo by 2011 with new IP's.

This narrative that PlayStation can only be dominant if it's cheaper than Xbox needs to end. Last time I checked, Sony's consoles have a better track record with exclusives and sales. The fact that they corrected all their last gen mistakes is only the icing on the cake.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

PS3 is profiting and they've out produced the Xbox since 2009. The point was proven long ago. Gamespot even noted that Sony outproduced both Microsoft and Nintendo by 2011 with new IP's.

Awesome, can I see a source that Sony started profiting overall on PS3 as a whole in 2009? Because including FY 2009, they'd lost almost 500 billion yen in the gaming division with PS3. Seems strange that they could make all of that up so quickly.

Not claiming you are wrong, just seeking clarification.

LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ok.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

The same pachter that said Xbox would easily win this gen just a year or so agoi? His entire argument is dilusional....Xbox was more popular because it had the market to itself for a year, was cheaper, giving it a host of advantages including early third party exclusives.

More are buying ps4 now sop they are more likely to get ps4, and Live is NOT better then PSN, that argument was dumb 3 years ago. PS plus is better value and has been for years,

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ok.

Sorry, I give people here a little too much credit at times. I thought it would be obvious I was referring to the Playstation 3 as a whole.

Because, you know, no one really needs a "ten year profitability cycle" in order to make a profit on freaking HARDWARE lol.

I guess that means MS has a one year profitability cycle? I guess he was right, 10 years to 1, MS cannot keep up.

Sagemode87 said:
This narrative that PlayStation can only be dominant if it's cheaper than Xbox needs to end. Last time I checked, Sony's consoles have a better track record with exclusives and sales. The fact that they corrected all their last gen mistakes is only the icing on the cake.

Didn't you know? Because the PS3 came last in NA last gen its been concluded that the xbox is a more powerful brand than playstation in NA. There are two lessons they could have learnt in relation to such thoughts  from the PS brand dominating NA for two gens before the last one. Apparently they didnt learn either.

LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Awesome, can I see a source that Sony started profiting overall on PS3 as a whole in 2009? Because including FY 2009, they'd lost almost 500 billion yen in the gaming division with PS3. Seems strange that they could make all of that up so quickly.

Not claiming you are wrong, just seeking clarification.

I said outproduced as in development-wise. As for profitability, they reached the profit zone in 2010, which means they've been profiting off of the PS3 for four years now. This is why Kaz Hirai was promoted to the head of Sony. He brought Sony out of the danger zone and back into profitability with the PS3 and saved Blu Ray all in one fell swoop.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/06/29/sony-finally-making-profit-ps3-hardware

Sony outproduced Microsoft and Nintendo in new IP's in 2011

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamespot-sony-has-more-new-ips-than-either-of-its--29217949/

As you can see between 2006-2012 Sony's cycle beared the most fruit compared to the competition.

Its a fact. 

The reason why Sony does so well is because they excell at what Microsoft and Nintendo both lack in tandem:

1) Nintendo lacks third party...which Sony has and has always been open to accumilating.

2) Microsoft lacks proper first and second party, which Sony has and has only strengthened since the PS3 era and shows zero signs of slowing down. 

Like I said if you're talking profiting on hardware then you don't need to use overly laudatory phrases like a "10 year profit cycle". No company needs any "10 year profit cycle" to start profiting on hardware. Hence you posting a link saying they started profiting in 2009, way before 10 years. The rest of the post is irrelevant to my quote, just wanted to laugh at 10 year profit cycle, thanks.