By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: Xbox ONE should have the advantage over the long term.

I don't think the advtange will be too big or significant to be #1 in other countries other than usa.(whenever that happens)

Around the Network

this was really long and all i read was the sunset overdrive part :/ - however, I nothing useful to contribute.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Got love how the reasons X1 will do well change so often, given how their previous reasons X1 will catch and surpass have failed and been dropped. I take this as a puff piece by a known jester in the gaming world.

Is the X1 still actually ahead of the 360 ?

His multiplier pro Xbox argument is a hilarious fail given PS4 Watchdogs just outsold the X1 version by 420k in USA alone.

The multiplayer being bigger on Xbox in the US is true, but I don't necessarily think that this can't change, people used to say that the Xbox already had the US locked and that the real battlefield would be Europe because of the multiplayer community... and we can see how that turned out in the first months.

Right now more people own a PS4 in the US, if we go by the premise that people buy consoles their friends own then I could definitely imagine that turning into a snowball effect and helping the PS4 stay on top even there.

Sony needs to get their foot on the gas and start pumping out some impressive games starting 2015 (since 2014 seems to be a lost cause in that regard) though.

Well yes it has AN advantage over the long term, but not a huge one and probably not one that will have a large effect. Multiplayer isn't the be all and end all, and it isn't the sole determinant of which console will win the long term race in the USA. The highest selling CoD on 360 in North America is Blops at 9.3 million, less than 1/4 the 360's USA install base.

If you consider CoD: Ghosts sales on current gen consoles they certainly favour Xb one. So proportionally yes Xb one will probably perform better in FPS multiplayer centric titles. But there is still a comparably sized FPS MP community on PS4. The difference is probably not enough to be a game changer.

Somewhat misleading title by the way. There is a difference between what Pachter says "So Microsoft should have an advantage over the long term.” and what you put in the title "Xbox ONE should have the advantage over the long term." "the" and "an" have very different meanings in this context.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I'm not convinced this will occur, even in the US. So many variables are involved with the "long term" and a lot can change between now and then. We will see. Even if Xbox does have the advantage, I believe it would be so inconsequential that the "lead" wouldn't even matter.

Well the lion's share of my friends are either staying with Playstation or converting to Playstation - that's a significant number. The diehard Xbox enthusiasts and anti PS people in my circles will not change though, so that's around 2 guys.

Pachter is right to an extent about some people getting all machines. Right now the PS4 and Wii U are what drive my interests, but I won't rule out a One if the software is compelling. MS need to give me at least 5 good reasons to get one and as long as my friends go that route I'd consider. When you're getting older and your friends are moving around the world "console wars" matter less, and the platform(s) you can play them on matters much more.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Xbox had better online before in last generation but Sony charging and improving the online this time along with their online technology Gaikai they are going to provide service like Xbox live or more in future. So, there is nothing Xbox can have from multi player related advantage.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

MS has spent a lot of money on devices that was "sure" to go nowhere: Zune, Windows Phone, Surface etc! Why not throw some money on something that can succed? If they want to win this they have to sell with a loss.
Give away the hardware and profit on the software, subscriptions and advertisment.

Nope. PS+ is actually deemed to be better than XBL these days and to be the better value. This supposed multiplayer advantage is like them saying the WiiU will sell more cause the wii sold the best last gen. I think these "analysts" have no clue how gamers think or behave.

Watchdogs on the PS4 sold more than watchdogs one the XBO/360/PC combined. Is that entirely because it was marketed exclusively on the PS brand? If that is the case what will Destiny do for the PS come thing sales of that game is sending a very strong message to the industry. Its in software sales the real battles are fought.

Anyways, at price parity, I see the XBO at best matching sales of the PS4 in NA but not outselling it. However, I feel this puts sony in a good position to drop their own price for the holiday season. A price drop around that time is more effective than one now. Though I don't see them doing that so early, guess it will depend on what effect this price drop has for the XBO.

LOL, Pachter's on a roll! But yes, maybe XBOne can do it in USA. If teh Analyst God said so, it can happen.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!