By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation+Ninty+Xbox shipment history since 1995, UPDATED May 2015.

Tagged games:

BeElite said:
kowenicki said:

I was looking at it from an industry wide perspective. 

But if you want a company view.  Playstation will never be anywhere near as big as it was (much like its parent company), Ninty will never be as big as it was.  Xbox?  not sure.  It hasnt really shrunk much yet.

PS4 launch sales surpassed even the PS2s, indicating PS is even bigger now then it was then.  but lets forget reality and go with your opinion lolz. 

He is presenting facts, or are you claiming the charts aren't real? :).

This generation is already falling behind the last one in total sales, and the PS sales aren't that great for a market leader (they are great compared to WiiU and X1 but those aren't selling well ether). Also, both PS4 and X1 had recordbreaking launches but that probably has more to do with a gaming environment that is more frontloaded than anything else.

Around the Network

I think this proves that this is a repeat of the 6th generation.

You know I'm wondering what happened to those people who thought that this generation would be bigger than the last.

Sooo despite PS4 having the biggest launch ever Sony's home console HW was never this low since 1996, and 2014 numbers aren't anything special. Greatness awaits.

kowenicki said:

AS REQUESTED HOME ONLY:

Ninty had its lowest shipment year since 2005 in FY 2013 (end April 2014)  (placed 17th out of 19 years)

Sony had its lowest shipment year since 1996 in FY 2013 (end April 2014)  (placed 17th out of 19 years)

Combined, Ninty ans Sony (home only) shipments are the lowest since 2000  (placed 17th out of 19 years).

This is the case despite it being year 2 for the WiiU and a simultaneous global launch for PS4. (Normal transition?)

It is going to look worse from next year...  no question about it.

Xbox Home only?

Around the Network

Hi guys.  This is my first post so go easy on me.

Recently, I've been trying to chart a comparison of the last few console generations (just Sony and MS) and I'm wondering, where do these numbers come from?  How do you have data back to 95?

So far, I have figures for the current gen (PS4/X1) and the last gen (PS3/360) but I can't find much beyond that.  I can find overall totals and some scattered information but not in the detail of the more recent generations.

For the record, my eighth gen data comes from the VGChartz hardware comparison tool, and my seventh gen data comes from the NPD data in the table on this page (scroll down for it - it's under "NPD sales figures monthly table")...

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_Seventh_generation

As I go back further than that, though, the data becomes more generalized.  I'm charting the seventh and eighth gens by monthly sales but I can only find yearly totals for the sixth gen, and almost nothing before that.

Does anyone know where I can find sales figures for the PS1, PS2, and original Xbox?  Preferably monthly sales figures if they are actually published anywhere.  I tried looking for more info at some of the sources cited on that wiki but, unfortunately, many of them are just dead links now.

Thanks in advance guys.  Nice place you have here.

ColdFire - The man with no name.

kowenicki said:

done.

Looks a lot less dire for Sony now, don't you think? :)

The people who are gone were the remaining casuals who don't make nearly as much impact in software sales as the core. At least I hope I'm right.

You know what would be really great? Software numbers for the time frame, of course split by consoles and handhelds.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kowenicki said:

Official shipment data from investor relations websites and press releases.

It doent get more accurate than this.

Could you point me to any of these websites please?

kowenicki said:

Any monthly "sales" data will be estimates.    Sites like VGC and "official" sources such as NPD are only really any use for current gen and current sales.  The shipment data is the real story once a gen is over and as time passes it is the only true measure.

But the data is on record somewhere, isn't it?  I mean, I found the NPD's monthly sales figures for the seventh gen.

To be clear, I'm not talking about going back now and trying to figure it out after the fact.  I'm asking if there is any record of the data that was compiled at the time.

I understand they may be estimates but my point is that if such estimates were released during the sixth - and even the fifth - generation, you'd think that some online resource would still have them.  Or is it just that they were never released in the first place?  Perhaps such estimates weren't made public back then?

Off-topic: Er... am I the only one who can't see my name in my profile?  Is it just my stupid computer or is it actually not showing up?

ColdFire - The man with no name.

kowenicki said:
vivster said:
kowenicki said:

done.

Looks a lot less dire for Sony now, don't you think? :)

The people who are gone were the remaining casuals who don't make nearly as much impact in software sales as the core. At least I hope I'm right.

You know what would be really great? Software numbers for the time frame, of course split by consoles and handhelds.

How so?

Sony is a business.  It wants to sell hardware.  Ignoring that a segment of the playstation business has effectively died (handhelds) is covenient if you want to try and score some points for some reason, but it is also irrelevant.

In any event.  The home console sales are historically low and will get lower (relatively).  At best Sony home consoles this gen will flatline, they certainly wont reach previous peaks. So there is no growth in the business, just stagnation despite a larger market.  It cannot be ignored that the PS4 had a simultaneous global launch either, PS3 and PS2 didnt.  The PS3 will die quicker than the PS2 also.

Nintendo on the other hand looks plain horrible.  No other words required.

The market is shrinking since 2008. Especially in the handheld division.

Or do you count casuals who moved on to mobile or PC as still part of the console market? Which part exactly grew?

And isn't it the software that makes the most money? If the departure of the casuals really has a low effect on software sales then it's not as bad as you might think.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Farsala said:

Nice thread. However there are many problems with these facts.

1. Handhelds are giving way to mobile. Mobile is taking over and technically revenue wise the gaming industry is still strong with handheld+mobile.

2. As with handhelds the consoles are also changing. Instead of getting a $250 console at launch as your popular console, we now have a $400 and $500 console with higher prices in other countries. If the console manufacturers were to release new consoles that were cheaper then the amount of units would probably be higher but revenue would be about the same.

Edit: Also I fully believe this gen will be shorter then last gen by 1-3 years. Which will definitely make comparisons.... difficult.

1. Great point, in relation to mibile thats what i have been saying. When people say dedicated handhelds are dying (like thts a bad thing) they ignore that there is an uptick in mobile gaming from phones and tablets, they also ignore that money made from that segment still factors into the "gaming industry". Funny thing is, hadheld gaming (dedicated+mobile) has never been bigger than it is today. Albeit not in the traditional sense.
  2. Another good point, also something I have been trying to say. If this gen sony and MS can get their prices down to $199 early enough, then that will be overall a good thing for everyone.

Bolded Thats the one area I don't agree with you though. There is a predictable paramiter that determines when the next generation of consoles will start. And its always started by the person losing the previous gen and want to get a bosost in the upcoming one; PSX era it was started by sega dreamcast, PS2 era it was started by MS 360, PS3 era started by Nintendo WiiU....etc. As long as Sony/MS sells more than 40/50M consoles, they will stay in this generation for as long as they can. I see this gen lasting 7yrs. The new console will be out in 2020. Revealed and released in the same year and will be BC. Only way this happens soner, is if sony runs away with this gen and sells around 120M and MS sells no more than 40M and nintendo even less.