By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are MK8 numbers more impressive than WD??

Which is more impressive?

Mario Kart 8, obviously. 336 62.92%

WATCHDOGS FTW! GO UBISOFT! 126 23.60%

You made this soooooo bad :P 27 5.06%

Can't decide. 43 8.05%

Total:532

Hmm, I would say so cause I think MK had more flop predictions than WD but idk for sure... Great sales for both games

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
Gonna go with MK8 because it beat a bunch of multiplats despite being on a singular home console with the second smallest userbase over only Xbone.

What multiplats are you talking about?  If you mean the other individual versions of Watch Dogs, then being on a singular home console is an advantage not a disadvantage.

Do you think it's fair to include the previous gen consoles with their giant somewhat stagnant install bases in those calculations as they are obviously bringing down the average attach rate.  If you look at just PS4 in NA versus WiiU in NA you see that WD sold 968,000 on an install base of 3.4m (about a 30% attach rate*) while MK8 sold 480,000 (about a 20% attach rate*) on 2.5M.  That paints a completely different picture to the attach rates you put in the OP but they are equally correct.  

*math is done in my head and therefore almost certainly wrong to some degree.

you know what they say,.. less is more.

PDF said:
WD did about a million in the US for the PS4 with a 3.5m install base. That's 28% attach rate on the PS4 in the US. That's pretty impressive.

That is a very good point! Watchdogs is not released in Japan, where MK8 got 1/4 of it's sales!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

4 Million on 5 platforms in 7 days averaging less than 1 Million per system LESS
1.2 Million on one system in 2 days

What is hard to understand about that? MK8 blew it out of the water

that comparision of userbases blew my restraints in my mind

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Watch Dogs's is much more impressive. It's a new IP. It could have flopped terribly. Mario Kart is Nintendo's Gran Turismo, so no.

Torillian said:

Do you think it's fair to include the previous gen consoles with their giant somewhat stagnant install bases in those calculations as they are obviously bringing down the average attach rate.  If you look at just PS4 in NA versus WiiU in NA you see that WD sold 968,000 on an install base of 3.4m (about a 30% attach rate*) while MK8 sold 480,000 (about a 20% attach rate*) on 2.5M.  That paints a completely different picture to the attach rates you put in the OP but they are equally correct.  

*math is done in my head and therefore almost certainly wrong to some degree.

I guess I was trying to prove that cross gen titles shouldn't exist

But you're right, I'll change the OP a bit.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Ryudo said:

4 Million on 5 platforms in 7 days averaging less than 1 Million per system LESS
1.2 Million on one system in 2 days

What is hard to understand about that? MK8 blew it out of the water

Watch Dogs had five days and it hasn't been released in Japan. (actually I'm not sure if their PR was based on the tracking weeks or a full week, but VGC data will be five days.)  Mario Kart had 4 days in Japan.

Also if there had been a PC version of MK8 that sold 50k would that somehow make MK8 sales worse since it brings the average down?