By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Watch_Dogs sold over 4 millions units during its first week

BenVTrigger said:
celador said:
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:
Where is BenV to give us an idea of which version sold the most?

PS4 > XB1 > X360 > PS3 > PC

Did new-gen hardware receive a boost?

PS4 in Hulk Smash mode again

X1 is Bruce Banner

Really? That sounds 2:1 to me.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
BenVTrigger

This is not shipped. Theyve already cleared 6 million shipped

Then they would have announced meeting their FY expectations with their FW shipment. Your assuming on zero actual information.

Your right a spread sheet of every copy sold at every store is zero info sorry I forgot

Planetaryseizure said:

Hogwash, GAmes like wonderfull 101 is not a game that will attracy meainstream consumers.... Watch dogs is, and it is an excellent game (LOL at using metacritic), meta means nothing, what is 82 now was a 9 just 3 years ago, using meta is a laughable argument at best. USer scores?? MAss effectw as down in the 4's all popular games get reamed in user scores, another useless argument. Watch dogs is a great game of great quality, hacking is a great new mechanic that really gives choice in how to tackle each situation.

Since everything is so laughable how can one determine quality? No, seriously, you can't just say it's "an excellent game", put a "lol" at the end of your sentence and call it a day. You need to back up your claims with something. Excellent according to whom? You? Your friends? People who post on the internet? Are you going to ignore all the people that didn't like it and focus on the ones that did? And keep in mind that evil reviewers are gamers too. Why does their opionion not matter, but other people's does? How did the people who bought it knew it would be a good game? Simply put, it was a gable that paid off for some and didn't for others. Reactions are mixed. Simple as that. 

Interesting to know if it boosted X1 at all...

Uh, that's like 1.5 million more than I expected?? I guess I misjudged hype for this game, I completely honestly haven't heard a soul talk about it in real life for months.

Like most well advertised modern games it will be front loaded, so I wonder what legs will look like. Are we talking over 8 million here? 9 million? I'd get it if it releases on WiiU sometime but that's the extent of my interest going forward.

Around the Network
Planetaryseizure said:
naruball said:
Richard_Feynman said:
naruball said:
Richard_Feynman said:
Just shows that publishers could have made A KILLING if they had good games ready for release this year.

Not necessarily. Plenty of great games don't sell well. The reason this is selling so well is hype due to it being an open world/sandbox game like GTA but with hacking which is somewhat(?) of a novelty. Similarly, Dead Island did not sell well because of its quality, but thanks to zombies being popular and the incredible trailer they made. 

Not saying that the game is not good (it's probably great), but its sales have little to do with quality.

Anyway, congrats to Ubi. And good to see NEW IP's selling well. 

Disagree.

Where are the good games on PS4/X1 ? Those two versions of Watch_Dogs are the top sellers (go look at the charts). Publishers would have made a killing if there were good games releasing for PS4/X1 now.

Are you simply going to ignore all the good games that have been released and didn't sell well? Quality does not equal sales. This has been discussed to death.

Also, in terms of qualiy, Watch_Dogs has not received amazing reviews. If anything, it's extremely close to Infamous (82 vs 80) which has not sold anywhere near that, came out when there was nothing for ps4 for a longer time and is an exclusive. After getting an 80 the game was considered good (even average by some), but not great. How are things different with Watch_Dogs? 

How can the people who bought it have known that it would be a good game? It is thanks to hype that it got the sales. And I'm glad it did, cuz I like to see new IP's doing well and I've seen some very funny bits from the game that reviewers perhaps didn't catch while rushing to finish the game and wrtie the review.

@bolded

No they wouldn't. Not necessarily. In order for a game to sell you need many things including but usually a) interesting concept, b) hype, c) massive advertsing (especially for new IP's). The game could have turned out to be terrible and it would have still sold well (again, Dead Island says hello). Whether customers are satisfied with their purchase and consider a quality product can better be seen by looking at the legs that it'll have. It's obvious that Minecraft left many customers satisfied to achieve such continuous sales. Same with GTA and Mario games that keep on selling forever. 

"Where are the good games on PS4/X1 ?"

Infamous is as good of a game as Watch_Dogs according to reviewers (meta) and users (average scores). Yet it sells less. Quality is not enough. 

Watch_Dogs was hyped since it was shown. It would have done well whether it was released now, five months ago or by Christmas. Lack of good games never helped much good games to sell. Ask Ninty fans and Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101. Great games, yet disappointing sales despite the long droughts. 

Hogwash, GAmes like wonderfull 101 is not a game that will attracy meainstream consumers.... Watch dogs is, and it is an excellent game (LOL at using metacritic), meta means nothing, what is 82 now was a 9 just 3 years ago, using meta is a laughable argument at best. USer scores?? MAss effectw as down in the 4's all popular games get reamed in user scores, another useless argument. Watch dogs is a great game of great quality, hacking is a great new mechanic that really gives choice in how to tackle each situation.

Wii U has nothing to do with this discussion. This is to do with this year. Wii U games have NEVER sold well. 

naruball said:
Planetaryseizure said:

Since everything is so laughable how can one determine quality? No, seriously, you can't just say it's "an excellent game", put a "lol" at the end of your sentence and call it a day. You need to back up your claims with something. Excellent according to whom? You? Your friends? People who post on the internet? Are you going to ignore all the people that didn't like it and focus on the ones that did? And keep in mind that evil reviewers are gamers too. Why does their opionion not matter, but other people's does? How did the people who bought it knew it would be a good game? Simply put, it was a gable that paid off for some and didn't for others. Reactions are mixed. Simple as that. 

What evidence do you have that is not? I have more supporting my argument including record breaking sales for a new IP.

Coulda been 4.01m week 1 had the Wii U version launched simultaneously with the rest.

See what I did there?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Planetaryseizure said:
naruball said:
Planetaryseizure said:

What evidence do you have that is not? I have more supporting my argument including record breaking sales for a new IP.

No you do not. That is not evidence by any means. 

naruball said:

Disagree.

Where are the good games on PS4/X1 ? Those two versions of Watch_Dogs are the top sellers (go look at the charts). Publishers would have made a killing if there were good games releasing for PS4/X1 now.

Are you simply going to ignore all the good games that have been released and didn't sell well? Quality does not equal sales. This has been discussed to death.

Also, in terms of qualiy, Watch_Dogs has not received amazing reviews. If anything, it's extremely close to Infamous (82 vs 80) which has not sold anywhere near that, came out when there was nothing for ps4 for a longer time and is an exclusive. After getting an 80 the game was considered good (even average by some), but not great. How are things different with Watch_Dogs? 

How can the people who bought it have known that it would be a good game? It is thanks to hype that it got the sales. And I'm glad it did, cuz I like to see new IP's doing well and I've seen some very funny bits from the game that reviewers perhaps didn't catch while rushing to finish the game and wrtie the review.

@bolded

No they wouldn't. Not necessarily. In order for a game to sell you need many things including but usually a) interesting concept, b) hype, c) massive advertsing (especially for new IP's). The game could have turned out to be terrible and it would have still sold well (again, Dead Island says hello). Whether customers are satisfied with their purchase and consider a quality product can better be seen by looking at the legs that it'll have. It's obvious that Minecraft left many customers satisfied to achieve such continuous sales. Same with GTA and Mario games that keep on selling forever. 

"Where are the good games on PS4/X1 ?"

Infamous is as good of a game as Watch_Dogs according to reviewers (meta) and users (average scores). Yet it sells less. Quality is not enough. 

Watch_Dogs was hyped since it was shown. It would have done well whether it was released now, five months ago or by Christmas. Lack of good games never helped much good games to sell. Ask Ninty fans and Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101. Great games, yet disappointing sales despite the long droughts. 

"Are you simply going to ignore all the good games that have been released and didn't sell well? Quality does not equal sales. This has been discussed to death."

Name them. Go on - I dare you.

"Also, in terms of qualiy, Watch_Dogs has not received amazing reviews. "

Did you see me underline good? The WHOLE point is they DON'T have to be amazing to sell well.

"How can the people who bought it have known that it would be a good game? "

Two things: 1. Anyone with a little bit of sense knew it would (at the least) be good. 2. It wasn't that incredible yet it got those sales.

"Infamous is as good of a game as Watch_Dogs according to reviewers (meta) and users (average scores). Yet it sells less"

inFamous was on ONE platform. By how much is WD outselling it on PS4?

"Watch_Dogs was hyped since it was shown"

So what? Here's my point (which you obviously seem to have lost track of): Hey Mr. Publisher, if you made a good game for mid 2014 and gave it some publicity then chances are it would have made you a little richer.

"Ask Ninty fans and Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101. Great games, yet disappointing sales despite the long droughts. "

Ignoring the fact that I am very, very well aware of those cases which is why I said X1/PS4. Not to mention that Wii U is failing. Or that Pikmin hardly has a huge fanbase. Or that Wonderful 101 (however good it may be) launched with a small user base and was yet another (aesthetically) kiddy game on Nintendo hardware. And how much advertisement did W101 get?

Now try and twist my words any way you like, but I proclaim that every single one of your comments have been nonsensical from the outset... EDIT: Ok maybe the last bit was too much.