By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU up 666% in the UK thanks to Mario Kart!!!

Are you impressed with WiiU's 10 - 12k sold this week in the UK?

Very impressed, above PS4... 581 46.44%

They're ok, it will need... 205 16.39%

Not that great, I expected more 77 6.16%

Terribad, this was suppos... 89 7.11%

See results 296 23.66%

Total:1,248
Shadow1980 said:
Mummelmann said:

It feels kinda like Japan's holiday all over again though; people were citing the percentage and cheering when the reality was that the only thing making such a high percentage rise possible was amazingly low sales to begin with and the end result wasn't even all that, especially when January came around.

I guess what I'm saying is; let's see what the numbers are a few weeks from now, there are people who have claimed that the Wii U will settle on a 60-80 baseline after Mario Kart and through most of summer. Me, I'm guessing it'll be back in the thirties by the middle of July.

80k seems way too optimistic. I think a best-case scenario would be that it gets an average boost of 50% from the bundle, putting it at around 50k per week. 40-45k/week WW seems more likely. The bundle is technically a price cut when you break everything down, and it has what is obviously going to be a popular game, so I think it will offer some kind of boost, but one that is relatively modest by price cut standards.

40-45k seems possible, I talked about this in November and mentioned a baseline of 35-45k in 2014. If my math isn't off by miles, I think the baseline thus far this year has been 34.900 or there abouts... Not a shabby guess way back then, but I also believe that 40-45k is possible under the rigth circumstances. The real test will be holidays and onwards in 2015 when both the behemoth Nintendo franchises are out.

MK will sell very well, easily the most on Wii U but I never believed it would "save" the Wii U (although the term "save" is up for interpretation here) and I still don't. I think we'll see smaller boosts in some other regions, percentage-wise for hardware this week since the UK had such a low baseline (again; reminds me of Japan during the holidays, I think the Wii U had a 1700% boost one week but the number was still not very high). I'm sticking with my statements that it will outsell the One and 3DS but likely not the PS4 and I think the boost will be short-lived.

PS: For reference, here's the post where I mentioned this possible baseline; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5778379

Around the Network

Seriously? 666% of sales increase? http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1063/405/original.jpg

Will be interesting percentage wise how HW goes in the coming weeks as well.

Should make for an interesting week.

Dat number...