By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Game-Changing Console ever? (revolutionary)

Most Revolutionary

Nintendo Entertainment System 189 26.21%

Sega Genesis 5 0.69%

Nintendo 64 109 15.12%

PlayStation 2 158 21.91%

Wii 183 25.38%

Other (leave comment) 76 10.54%

Total:720

PS1, if not for that console I would have never loved gaming the way I do today.

Around the Network

I think the NES because it revived the console industry, followed by the N64 which had some of the most revolutionary games like Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time and GoldenEye 007, the Wii was revoutionary but motion controls were some kind of fad.

I like the Genesis...but how was it game changing or revolutionary? It provided Nintendo with it's first real challenge, yes. But otherwise...it was just a decent (if underpowered) system with some cool exclusives.

spemanig said:

N64. That isn't even up for debate. Modern gaming wouldn't be what it is without it. We'd still be using dpads for 3D movement and there'd be no FPS genre on consoles. Everything that came after is derivative of what it started and what it created. And unlike the Wii, its changes to gaming have become the standard in almost every single game made after it. Other consoles may have perfected it, no one's denying that, but the N64 started it. The N64 started modern gaming.

By your own logic in this post, neither the analog stick nor the FPS genre on consoles were started by the N64. FPS existed before the N64 on consoles, as did the analog stick. Furthermore the idea that without the N64 we'd still be using directional pads and would have no FPS on consoles is just silly. Kudos to Nintendo for being the first to introduce analog in a mainstream console with actual relevance, but it existed before in the console world and arcades. And they published Rare's Goldeneye, but FPS's existed long before that on PC, and on consoles. But why would we have neither if not for the N64? 3D graphics was a natural progression of technology. Analog already existed, someone else would have brought it to consoles. And the FPS genre has always been extremely popular. They existed long before Goldeneye and have improved dramatically since.

We'd have both even if the N64 never saw the light of day. In fact, I think almost everything anyone lists, someone else would have come along and done it because most of it is just natural progression of technology in the market. That's why in terms of modern gaming I would give it to the Dreamcast. Sega set up their own online network, even going as far as to be an ISP for gamers. Included networking hardware right in the box with every console. Provided a browser and central hub for all things relating to their console, and charged for access to it. It was Xbox Live before there was Xbox Live. Which Sony has now also copied, and eventually Nintendo will as well.

If motion controls had taken off I would have probably given it to the Wii.

Surely Wii amongst the listed ones. In the farther past there were far more revolutionary ones than NES, the first Atari that was the first console enjoying mass market success, and the Intellivision, that thanks to its rich gamepad with game-specific ovelays for the numeric keypad, anticipated even some of 3DS second screen functions, in the only way feasible and affordable back then, not to mention its HW expansions, unsuccessful because they raised the total cost of the system above Commodore and Spectrum home computers ones, but surely revolutionary for a console, particularly then. NES wasn't revolutionary in HW, but it was in introducing an almost perfect business model and management, reserving talent and fantasy just to games development, but applying rigorous, mathematically precise and almost military rules to management (often ruthless towards 3rd parties, but they had to bite the bullet, as Ninty was the most stable gaming HW company).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

PlayStation 1. It made gaming mainstream.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

PlayStation. First 3D console.

Wait... NES resurrected consoles, online gaming wouldn't be the same without DreamCast, Wii has the Virtual Console, and N64 introduced the analog stick... -_-

I'll just say Nintendo did the most revolutionizing.

Wii was revolutionary in that it penetrated the non-gamer market. I would probably call the N64 the most revolutionary for core gaming though.

XBox

HDD. Play own music in-game. PC architecture. Revolutionary online.

The original Praystation for me

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...