By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why you wouldn`t buy PS3 for 299$ or 199$?

I wouldn't buy it because there is not even one game that interests me that is not shared with the 360. The 360 has managed to nab a few exclusives that I do enjoy so I hae a bit of incentive to pick it up over the PS3. I might consider it if it drops down below $100, I pick up a HDTV, and Blu-ray becomes the dominant format. Even then I will probably still old out until the blu-ray players drop below $40 like I did when DVD came out. Until the PS3 gets some games that actually appeal to me I just can't justify spending any money on it. What is the point of a game system if you don't own any of the games?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

*I'M NOT JOKING* I'll get it at $99....yeah, you heard me, $99......NO "1" in front of it....The Wii is good enough for me...

I would consider getting one for $199 - but its not even close to that price (AU) now. Its still $700 - for the "base" model, that basically comes with nothing.

Even the PS2 here is *still* more than $199 - that is what the DS costs.

So sure, maybe in 4-5 years when the PS3 is $199 - I'll consider a purchase.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

^I agree Shams, it will be at least 4-5 years before the PS3 hits $199 in Australia if it ever does and by that point the next XBOX and potentially Wii will be coming out, so I`ll probably just miss out on the Sony console this generation. Hopefully not but as the "base' model is still $700 it's not looking good.

I'll answer this generally, since I already have a PS3.

The PS3 is not a magical system, and will not somehow break historical trends: historically, most people buy a single console per generation (or none at all, as most people in the world do not play video games at all). Historically, a system does not suddenly become hugely popular when it drops in price (Neo Geo, CD-i, 3D0, among others, all started at similar price points, and didn't suddenly rocket to stardom when their prices dropped. Other systems, such as the Gamecube and Xbox, started at lower price points, but still didn't suddenly take off like crazy when their prices dropped. The gamecube was half its original price in 2005 that it was in 2001. Even though it had way more games at that point, people still didn't jump in. Why? Why didn't the Xbox explode later in its life, either, even when it was less than half its original price?)

History shows us that consoles, no matter what the initial price point, no matter what the games, do not magically become much better sellers when they drop in price. I suspect the PS3 will do fine for itself overall, but any suggestion that the PS3 is different than all other consoles in history and will rocket upward and beyond seems specious to me. You really have to argue that the PS3 is so peculiar and particular that it will operate differently than every other console. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Well,because I already have one,(I paid $600 and get a 60 GB sku,here in Mexico the prices go insane) Why?

-The games are the main reason for me,obviously I prefer MGS4,FFXIII,FFXIII versus,GT5,Resistance 1&2,Killzone 2,LBP,White Knight History,Tekken 6,Metal
Gear Solid Online,the next "Team ICO game",Motorstorm 1&2,God of War 3,Yakuza 3,Valkyrie of Battlefield,Disgaea 3,SOCOM,The Getaway 2,Infamous,The Agency,8 days,Wipeout HD,Everyday´s Shooter,Flow,Flower,Echocrome,SF II HD,Pixel Junk Monsters,Heavenly Sword,Folklore,Uncharted,Ratchet&Clank,and some non-exclusives like Assassin's Creed,Call of Duty4,Burnout Paradise,Devil May Cry4,GTA4,Fallout 3,Ghostbusters,Resident Evil 5,Silent Hill 5,Winning Eleven series,Eternal Sonata,The Last Remnant,Midnight Club,The Outsider,Dead Space,L.A. Noire (exclusive or not),Soul Calibur 4,Tomb Raider Underground,Star Ocean 4,Far Cry2,Bionic Command,Dark Voip,Deus Ex 3,...and many more games to be announced at future(E3,TGS,...).

These are the games that made my decision clear and undoubtedly,the exclusives ones are the most important games for me.
And even if most of these games are not yet finished,I got right now many games to use my PS3,and its obviously I love any type of game,yeah,the 360 and the Wii have exclusive games that I surely desire to play(360:G of W 1&2,NG2,Bioshock,L4D,LO,Mass Effect)(Wii:SSBB,Mario Kart,Mario Galaxy,REUC,RE 4 Wii Ed.) but the PS3 exclusives kills my desire to play anything else,maybe I sholud get the 2 others systems,but I really lack of time to play my PS2&PS3 titles by now and even without the many games to come.

-I'd still like the classic control scheme,I found personally the Wii motion controls not so interesting and I get tired in long gaming sessions,this's my personal point of view,so don't get offended by this.

-I like how movies look with the Blu-Ray format,beautiful in my Bravia HDTV,I got a Samsung one too,beautiful like the Sony one,but I choose connect the PS3 to the Bravia instead,leave my parents the Samsung one.

-The multimedia functions are great,sometimes I rather use my PS3 to play photos/music/video files than my Dell laptop,because of commodity (yeah,it´s kind of laxness don't get up of the pullout to surf the web,but I can do it in my PS3(it's a limited web experience compared to a computer one,but works fine in a casual way)

These are the main reasons why I paid so much for my PS3 and for this,I can´t wait until the prices drop a lot,I'm very fine with it,happy and glad of my purchase,like many of you are happy with the systems you choose,completely convinced as me at your decisions.
It's a diverse world,we have to accept and respect to each other.

becvcuase Ninty&MS have all the gamez

Price-to-wanted-games ratio doesn't match. At the $300 price point, it would need 6 wanted games already out; at $200, 5 wanted games already out. The fact that every PS3 game that even remotely interests me thus far was also put on PC hurts the odds even more, as I have a gaming-class PC as it is. Right now, the PS3 literally has zero games out that I want which are not on platforms I already own. Unfortunately for the PS3, that leaves it to convincing me to buy it based on its non-gaming capabilities, and good luck there. I quite literally cannot see the difference in visual quality between DVD and Blu-Ray. And everything else it can do my PC can do better.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

ATM the ONLY game out on the PS3 that I like is Ninja Gaiden: Sigma

我是广州人

Because as a Bluray player it doesn't fit my needs, and paying €200 for a 5-year-old game console is just lame. When a decent Bluray player (at least: a stable profile, 1080i HDMI and 6-ch analog out) hits the street at €200 or less, I'll likely jump in (assuming that it is a clearly viable format by then).

Reality has a Nintendo bias.