By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

Fusioncode said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Best controller ever invented.

Better than the 360 controller? 

Almost but not quite, only because of the lack of a second trigger and clickable analog sticks.

Around the Network

The GC controller is like having an Orgasm for your hands. It fits soo perfectly, its response is superb and its amazingly comfortable... Heck, the 360 controller is basically inspired by the GC controller!

And also that the competitive Smash Bros always used GC controllers so it makes them super happy that they don't have to get used to a new layout when playing Smash Bros 4 plus it shows that Nintendo is trying to please their fans and make them happy

I just want to fap just thinking about when I can touch and feel the hotty! Fap Fap Fap

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Bro, if you've played Smash Brothers enough, you wouldn't have made this thread.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Meeehh... I believe they're just lazy to learn different ways to play. Wii U Pro controller master race FTW!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Considering they've created For Glory mode where most of the stages have been stripped down to a Final Destination style and introduced moderation for online play, the emphasis looks like it's on serious competitiveness this time around. In that context, the controller and adaptor seems like a natural addition.

I hope they use it for more than Smash, though.

If you were apart of the smash scene then you would get it, but I understand why those who don't play or only play casually have a hard time understanding because its just a controller but it's like a fight stick for pro street fighter players, except there is only one kind

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better.

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to.

Better controllers objectively than GC :

NES, SNES, TG16, Hori Commander Series, Wii/WiiU Classic/Pro Pads, Xbox OG 'S', Xbox 360, DS2, DS3, DS4, XBO, etc.

EDIT : Forgot the DreamCast pad, which craps all over the GC controller as well. Silly me. Sega pads were usually awful, but the DC one was outstanding.

theARTIST0017 said:
Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Bro, if you've played Smash Brothers enough, you wouldn't have made this thread.

I played Brawl quite a bit, but I was never a competitive player or anything, I just played for fun. The Wiimote and classic controller suited me just fine. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Honestly i never understood it either. I switched over to the wiimote n nunchuk just fine for Brawl, and i'll switchover to the gamepad just fine here too.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.