So who's fault is it?

the publisher's 29 21.17%

the developer's 33 24.09%

the consumer's 6 4.38%

your mom's 68 49.64%

Total:136
vivster said:
think-man said:
Id rather it was playable than broken though. Being a programmer myself I can see how things go over schedule I'm already 4 weeks over deadline on my latest project.

Yeah, but should we really praise them for not releasing a broken product? Isn't that their god damn job in the first place?

Aren't you just being angry just to be angry? In a highly anticipated game many people want to play it as soon as they can. So when a dev says they have to delay (as many developers have, SONY, Nintendo, MS) a release people get disapointed, often severely. Often they tell themselves that perhaps with the delay the game will be better than what it could have been had there not been the delay. They are attempting to see a silver lining, it's human nature.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

When a game gets delayed I just play something else.

If a game gets delayed I just presume its a mess. I wish Fable: Anniversary got delayed more for optimization.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The thread title says that the argument: "delays are good for games" needs to stop. And then you proceed to argue that those delays exist because the game is in an unplayable state.

That would give us to understand that the delay is actually good because the game is in an unplayable state.

Maybe the thread title should be changed. Although your disclaimer kinda changes what you said in the title so there is no need. But you should know by now that this is VG Chartz and no one reads disclaimers.

What I can agree though is that those delays aren't good for gamers. And you are right, we shouldn't be giving credit to those developers for sucking at their job.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Great, you just reminded me of how sick I am of all the people giving credit to doctors and nurses who, when all is said and done, are just doing their jobs. Helping people is what they get paid for and is hardly something that should be praised.

Nice to see someone shares my mindset, at least.

Doesn't really matter to me, because I don't need these games at a certain time or other. I never applaud delays, I'm annoyed by them, but I'd rather have a great game day 1 than a broken game just because that's the point in the dev cycle they happened to be at when the release date rolled around.

I don't need a game from a certain dev. If they delay to a point where they lose my interest or get out competed for my money by other games that come out first, too bad for them. I'd be annoyed if every single piece of software on my console I recently paid a significant amount for consistently gets delayed... but that's why I don't buy consoles at launch on promises of future titles! Picking up WiiU over a year after launch after games I want already come out lets me pick up its older games without worrying about others' delays.

Around the Network

There is only one point that counts, is the game ready to be shipped? Wether this is because of bugs (some ship with bugs anyway... I am not sure BF4 would have shipped already if they were to wait for it to be perfect...) marketing arrangements, or whatever, all games are by definition a project to do something new, hopefully as new as possible, so yeah, polishing it for a few weeks or months can make the difference between a game that only looks good but plays average and one that has the little touches of a well developped game.

Now obviously, you will never know the true reason, and maybe it was still very good at the original date... but do you have a single example of a game that should not have been pushed back in your expert opinion, one that they delayed to add product placement or something of that nature?

Obviously nobody claims that the delays are liked, but they are certainly preferable to rushed games, either way, you have not seen the game yet, whatever game it is, so you may as well just be more patient and play one of the many other titles available.

I don't mind delays, but I agree. Delays are because they announced a release date prematurely and the game couldn't get finished by that time, with bugs that make the game unplayable, glaring flaws, etc.

I can also point out many games that were delayed that have a lot of issues with them. We just saw the "Watch Dogs is a pos video" showing many bugs on the PC version. Twisted Metal was delayed several times and the online was unplayable because it was so difficult to get in a game, plus at one point in the game when you fight Doll Face as a boss on single player, it supposedly wouldn't progress to the cutscene sometimes so you had to restart the fight and do it again in order to progress. Grand Theft Auto 5 online anyone?

If you hear of a game getting delayed, while you should be glad it's getting delayed because otherwise it would be unplayable, you should also be wary of it on release.

As a certain 2011 game has taught us, just because a game gets delayed many times that doesn't mean the game will be any good!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I suppose we could always play nothing but Battlefield 4 for the rest of our lives.

vivster said:

At the end of the day it comes down to this: There are 2 reasons for a product to be delayed. Someone sucks at project management or someone sucks at producing the product. Take your pick. But just don't expect games to be better because of delays.

So just please don't give companies credit for sucking at their job.

Because choosing to deliver a complete product at the cost of disappointing the fans makes a dev bad ?

Everyone is late every once in a while. When a product depends on 800 people not being late once, what are the chances ?

The overall industry is now forced to announce their games way too early, or to die against the competition who does it. Blame the internet, not the guys working 12 hours a day to deliver you their game