By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This "delays are good for games" needs to stop

So who's fault is it?

the publisher's 29 21.17%

the developer's 33 24.09%

the consumer's 6 4.38%

your mom's 68 49.64%

Total:136

Id rather it was playable than broken though. Being a programmer myself I can see how things go over schedule I'm already 4 weeks over deadline on my latest project.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
So you're saying that every delayed game could be released in the same state even without the delay?

Not necessarily. If the delay wasn't avoidable then it's a clear failure of whoever decided to give a release date early. But companies will still claim it's just to make the game "even better" and people will gobble it up.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Duke nukem certainly proved this

Xenostar said:

This is obviously sometimes true. but there are many games that were released that could of done with more time in development, Anything by Bethesda for a start. So Devs can release Buggy messes if they want, but they shouldnt, they should take more time to release something thats at least playable especailly if they want to build a franchise.

Bu yeah even in a case where delaying a game makes it better, there was still a problem in the product management. What Pubs and Devs need to do is stop announcing release dates unless there pretty damn certain.

Believe me when I say that no feasible amount of time will make open world games run better. It's not feasible for a company to develop as long as possible just to remove all the bugs. They have to release at a stage before that. And they're willingly doing so. They know the game is full of bugs but the numbers say that the sales will outweigh the negative feedback. And there is always patches.

So yes, all games need more time but none will get the actual amount they need. So all games are practically unfinished.

I guess what I'm saying is that a delay will not make them less unfinished.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

think-man said:
Id rather it was playable than broken though. Being a programmer myself I can see how things go over schedule I'm already 4 weeks over deadline on my latest project.

Yeah, but should we really praise them for not releasing a broken product? Isn't that their god damn job in the first place?

Around the Network

Yeah delays 99% of the time means the game is completely broken. It's like people actually believe it's done and ready to be released but they're just holding it for a few months to add some more content.

vivster said:
Xenostar said:

This is obviously sometimes true. but there are many games that were released that could of done with more time in development, Anything by Bethesda for a start. So Devs can release Buggy messes if they want, but they shouldnt, they should take more time to release something thats at least playable especailly if they want to build a franchise.

Bu yeah even in a case where delaying a game makes it better, there was still a problem in the product management. What Pubs and Devs need to do is stop announcing release dates unless there pretty damn certain.

Believe me when I say that no feasible amount of time will make open world games run better. It's not feasible for a company to develop as long as possible just to remove all the bugs. They have to release at a stage before that. And they're willingly doing so. They know the game is full of bugs but the numbers say that the sales will outweigh the negative feedback. And there is always patches.

So yes, all games need more time but none will get the actual amount they need. So all games are practically unfinished.

I guess what I'm saying is that a delay will not make them less unfinished.

Yes of course they are, same goes for any artistic medium there will always be someone on the project that thinks something can be improved on. But some devs are better than others, Bethesda games are particularly attrocious on launch. 

But delaying a game to fix bugs, can also mean more content going in. Not everyone in a team can be bug fixing.

Xenostar said:

Yes of course they are, same goes for any artistic medium there will always be someone on the project that thinks something can be improved on. But some devs are better than others, Bethesda games are particularly attrocious on launch.

But delaying a game to fix bugs, can also mean more content going in. Not everyone in a team can be bug fixing.

That's what we would like to think. But listen to your heart if this is really true in an age where content is purposefully removed from games before release to sell it for a premium later.

GTA V and The Last of Us were delayed...

Well, in the end, I still prefer to stick with "delays are good for games". No matter what the reason for the delay is, it certainly isn't so they can make the game be even worse or to break a working game.
As for the release date/time-frame, I see it as only hurting the company and their projected earnings. It doesn't hurt me at all, it's not like there is no other games I can play.

I was looking forward to playing The Division in 2014. It's delayed. So I'll play FIFA, Far Cry, Alien, something else...
If it is released in 2015, great, I'll play it then. If not, I'll play Dying Light, The Order, Witcher 3, whatever is released.

I have a little MS Word table into which I plug my planned purchases, I just cut and paste in a bit lower and move on. In the end, I'd rather play a fixed game than a broken game. So, "delays ARE good for games".