By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Bring on the new season. Saints have aquired stupid amounts of money from rich clubs, we still have Schneiderlin, the best DM in the prem and the highest profile manager we've had in years.

Bring on the new season.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

La Liga was much more competitive for 3rd and 4th for a while though, with Premier League having the same top 4 for a while. Although PL is much more competitive in that area now, makes it a more interesting league. Those that say money ruined football annoy me. Chelsea and Man City have made the PL much more competitive it is really enjoyable.

And regarding Liverpool, yeah it's really quite funny
Surely it's only a matter of time though.... right?

Money has ruined the lower leagues, mainly because of parachute payments from relegated Prem teams. It simply isnt a fair playing field for the smaller clubs. It gets even worse when the PL clubs can poach young talent for cheap fees before the parent clubs get any say. When a PL club gets relegated and cant get back up, that club runs gigantic risks. Look at Portsmouth. This is why people say money has ruined football, because it literally ruins clubs.

Talal said:

Arsenal wouldn't win La Liga if they were competing there. I'd bet a lot of money on that. They probably would have won the 2003/2004 season like they did in the Premier League, since they did amazing that year, but not much else.

BTW from 2004 til 2010 it was all United and Chelsea and then City came into the picture.

Of course not, Arsenal arent a match for Barca and Real. They simply havent been spending the money to compete over the last few years.

Ka-pi96 said:

I think that's more down to terrible management at the club than anything else. They paid big for players, got an FA Cup win out of it, but couldn't sustain it and it all fell apart.

Yeah it is hard on small clubs, but I think the FFP rules coming in aren't meant for them. They seem intended to protect the big clubs and keep them big, that is all. Penalties for overspending are a good idea, but not the way they are planning them. The 50m penalties City and PSG got are stupid, they can afford them but imagine if those rules had been around when Portsmouth were doing there thing, they would have bankrupted instantly . Penalties for overspending should be perentage based and redistributed to smaller clubs, similar to how some American sports do it.

Penalties should be either point based, or (in the cases of the likes of Man CIty and PSG) outright bans from European competition.

See, you almost killed the WC thread with the new title.

Suggestion: Let's post the transfers of our club teams.

BVB

In: Ciro Immobile, Adrian Ramos, Dong-Wong Ji, Matthias Ginter*, Nuri Sahin (return from Real Madrid, end of loan)

Out: Robert Lewandowski (and four other players)

Details and transfer sums: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/borussia-dortmund/transfers/verein/16/saison_id/2014

* In case you've never heard of this guy: Ginter was part of the German national team in Brazil and can call himself now the first football world champion from SC Freiburg; he's 20 and considered one of Bundesliga's most talented new defenders.

My team is Huddersfield Town. We are the greatest team in football that the world has ever seen.

Our new kit isnt all that great though. It looks like a TESCO carrier bag.

Around the Network
okr said:

Germany National Football Team

Out: Philipp Lahm

In: No one to replace him

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

mZuzek said:
Joaco <3 N64 said:
Respect mZuzek! YNWA

I'd love Reus to join Liverpool. We need a big name to fill the void left by Suarez, that and a good CB, our leaky defence cost us the PL last year.

I don't think Lovren is good enough for us, but what do I know.

Cheers!

Lovren is a good defender, I'd like to see him at Liverpool.
He's not that guy who's going to single-handedly fix our defence though.

To be honest, I actually think the problem with out defence isn't the players, but rather the coaching. Agger and Skrtel were the 2nd best defence in the league (despite LFC finishing 8th) before Brendan Rodgers came in - or more importantly, before Steve Clarke left. Ever since, they've been extremely leaky.

We need someone to make an impact like Jamie Carragher did when he came back into the side in his last season. In fact, I think we would have been champions last season if he chose to keep on playing.

Sure he's good, I just think he aint good enough, but would be a great addition nonetheless.

I don't know what happened to Agger and why Rodgers lost his confidence on him. He's a great deffender. I think of him more of a leader than Skrtel is, one like Carragher was or Gerrard is. Every defence need one of those, ala Puyol.

Also, regarding transfers, LFC has signed Lambert and Lallana from Southampton. Emre Can from Leverkusen, Lazar Markovic from Benfica and I think it's official now, Loic Remy from QPR.

Dream transfer moves for me are, Reus and Hummels from BVB, Pogba from Juventus and James from Monaco.

Won't happen though, I'll settle with Isco from Real Madrid, Reus and a good CB (everything points Lovren will be).

vivster said:
okr said:

Germany National Football Team

Out: Philipp Lahm

In: No one to replace him

Blödsinn. We really are a country full of doubters... Philipp was and is one of the world's best defenders, but everyone is replacable. Over the next few years the face of the national team will hopefully change even more. I hope Miro (one of the best forwards we ever had, and we had quite a few ones) will announce retirement already prior to Euro 2016 qualifying and Bastian after Euro 2016 at the very latest. You saw what happened to Italy and (to a lesser extent to) Spain when a successful national team doesn't change quickly enough. Italy for example still haven't learned their lesson, they still consider to continue with Andrea Pirlo. Still a fantastic player, but he definitely should have retired from the national team after Euro 2012 to make way for a new system that's not built around him.

We won 4-1 today in preseason.

That makes it 10 goals in 3 games we have scored. 3 against Champions League opposition (From Cyprus!), 3 against the mighty Doncaster Rovers and 4 against Portuguese giants Portimonense.

We are going up. Champions League in 2 Seasons.