By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

I heard Cahill is suspended for the next match. Without him I really don't see Australia even having a sniff of a chance against Spain if the Spanish win tonight.

Holland has a five goal difference, that's counts for a lot. They are pretty much through.

Around the Network
Burek said:
S.Peelman said:
Nice match!

Dumb penalty that was cheaply given and the screwup by our defense like I predicted but we made some good goals. The Aussies gave everything they had surely, but we're in the second round !

Also, if Spain wins, and everybody goes crazy in the 3rd round, Netherlands can be eliminated.

Yes, technically it could still happen. But then Spain must win today and Chile needs to win against us. Could happen, but they both also need to make up for the goal difference. I think we can reasonably assume we're safe. But to be sure, let's root against Spain .

Slarvax said:
Best match so far! I couldn't see the matches yesterday... how dissapointing/horrible was Brazil-Mexico??

This match was like the complete opposite of brazil - mexico.. That was such a dissapointment..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

RolStoppable said:
That penalty brings the amount of bullshit decisions to what now? I lost count.

9?

S.Peelman said:
Burek said:
S.Peelman said:
Nice match!

Dumb penalty that was cheaply given and the screwup by our defense like I predicted but we made some good goals. The Aussies gave everything they had surely, but we're in the second round !

Also, if Spain wins, and everybody goes crazy in the 3rd round, Netherlands can be eliminated.

Yes, technically it could still happen. But then Spain needs to win and Chile needs to win against us. Could happen, but they also need to make up for the goal difference. I think we can reasonably assume we're safe. But to be sure, let's root against Spain .

No, of course you're safe, you'd need to lose about 8:0 or something. But the first place is still for grabs, and the honor to valiantly lose to Croatia :)))))

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
What is evident here though, even if/when the Dutch win, they have clear problems at the back.

We knew that from the start.. In the netherlands we didn't really expect much because of our defence.. Then we destroyed Spain..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

justinian said:
I heard Cahill is suspended for the next match. Without him I really don't see Australia even having a sniff of a chance against Spain if the Spanish win tonight.

Holland has a five goal difference, that's counts for a lot. They are pretty much through.

Yeah Cahill and RVP both suspended for their next match. Australia will struggle without Cahill but some.of our other boys have proven they have the skill but god knows where the goal will come from. Also our defence needs to improve. We just let way to many easy goals in.

S.Peelman said:
Burek said:
S.Peelman said:
Nice match!

Yes, technically it could still happen. But then Spain needs to win and Chile needs to win against us. Could happen, but they also need to make up for the goal difference. I think we can reasonably assume we're safe. But to be sure, let's root against Spain .

Let's hope that if Spain wins tonight, they win with a 2 goal difference. That would put Chili at +0, Spain at -2 and us at +5 in terms of goal difference. Chili would have to beat us with a 3 goal difference then (Chili would be +3, we +2) and Spain would have to beat Australia with a 4 or 5 goal difference dependent on the result tonight. A 1 goal difference would also be a good, a draw would be perfect since that would put is through.

Holland is doomed because RVP won't play in the next match!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Holland is doomed because RVP won't play in the next match!

I'm glad he got a yellow so he wont miss the round of 16. And I don't think playing with Huntelaar/Robben or Depay/Robben would be a problem.