By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

ArchangelMadzz said:

Sorry I meant Greek league. My point still stands. 

Of course they have a long way to go. I never said they didn't. All of my conversation has been talking about how this can affect them for years to come. PSG is a company that will be around for a very long time, they don't think short term. 

You really think people haven't tuned in to watch Neymar in his matches for PSG? Really?

I never calculated it, I'm saying it's not ridiculous to say extra deals where they can use Neymar as the face of the club, sponsorships, merch sales etc. That could easily come up to 25 million at least in a year. 

But nevermind you're obviously right. The massive corperation of PSG have no idea what they're doing and threw away 200 million without any way of thinking of how they could make their money back no way having such a big player could increase them in any meaningful way, man if only you were on their board. 

Except your point failed to debunk it in anyway, the's one team in a weak league playing CL as a result and no growth was being made, Olympiakos even had players from other top teams in Europe playing for them no growth happened for the league at all in the end. France doesn't show any signs of avoiding that.

No outside of France and some Brazilian fans I don't think many people who don't follow French football will tune in given how football fans are, they may know the players but if they don't really care much for the league they're not going to tune in every week to watch PSG. The problem with assuming people will tune in is that as good as he is he's in a weaker league and the are still a tonne of gifted player in other stronger leagues, Coutinho if he left for Barca could easily replace the void left behind by him.

Again if you throw out numbers like that you're going to have to show how you calculated that because it's not just the fee they've paid for him it's also his wages and all, to make 25m they'd have to offset a lot of costs first and as far as PSG being a corporation blah blah as smug as you're trying to be many rich clubs in PSGs position have gone under trying to boost themselves in the same manner most famously was Leeds when they tried to become the next Man Utd with the same optimistic arguments you're putting through. Just because they're a coporation doesn't mean every move they make is rock solid business wise.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Sorry I meant Greek league. My point still stands. 

Of course they have a long way to go. I never said they didn't. All of my conversation has been talking about how this can affect them for years to come. PSG is a company that will be around for a very long time, they don't think short term. 

You really think people haven't tuned in to watch Neymar in his matches for PSG? Really?

I never calculated it, I'm saying it's not ridiculous to say extra deals where they can use Neymar as the face of the club, sponsorships, merch sales etc. That could easily come up to 25 million at least in a year. 

But nevermind you're obviously right. The massive corperation of PSG have no idea what they're doing and threw away 200 million without any way of thinking of how they could make their money back no way having such a big player could increase them in any meaningful way, man if only you were on their board. 

Except your point failed to debunk it in anyway, the's one team in a weak league playing CL as a result and no growth was being made, Olympiakos even had players from other top teams in Europe playing for them no growth happened for the league at all in the end. France doesn't show any signs of avoiding that.

No outside of France and some Brazilian fans I don't think many people who don't follow French football will tune in given how football fans are, they may know the players but if they don't really care much for the league they're not going to tune in every week to watch PSG. The problem with assuming people will tune in is that as good as he is he's in a weaker league and the are still a tonne of gifted player in other stronger leagues, Coutinho if he left for Barca could easily replace the void left behind by him.

Again if you throw out numbers like that you're going to have to show how you calculated that because it's not just the fee they've paid for him it's also his wages and all, to make 25m they'd have to offset a lot of costs first and as far as PSG being a corporation blah blah as smug as you're trying to be many rich clubs in PSGs position have gone under trying to boost themselves in the same manner most famously was Leeds when they tried to become the next Man Utd with the same optimistic arguments you're putting through. Just because they're a coporation doesn't mean every move they make is rock solid business wise.

Except that's not even close to my point. I wasn't only referring to One team when I was talking about Ligue 1 growing. 

Twitter and Google activity for PSG is the highest it's ever been (excluding the loss to barcelona) and usually these things translate into interest and viewers. 

I never said I calculated it, I said it's reasonable to suggest that is the kind of revenue he can bring in, the money in football in ridiculous and they clearly have a plan that can succeed. And if he literallly makes them £0 they can sell him for at least 100 million after 4 years of service

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:

Quite possibly. Not everything is about profit. There's plenty of club owners who are happy to take a loss if the club is succesful and don't really care about the financial returns.

As for the sponsorship etc deals... how much are they actually going to earn from that above what they would have earned without him? They were already on the way up and emerging as one of the big European sides without Neymar anyway. It's not as if they haven't had a big star before either, it wasn't that long ago that they had Ibrahimovic. How many more people are really going to be watching their games and buying their merchandise for Neymar than for Ibrahimovic. Neymar cost 10 times as much too and is probably on higher wages as well. So at the very least I doubt the Neymar deal will be as financially rewarding as the Ibrahimovic deal was.

I wonder how much of the transfer is them hoping Brazil wins the world cup? I mean it's best to get there before than after but I can't see Brazil winning it whilst the French team is as complete as they are. 

I do think Neymar at least is bringing in more money than Ibrah, kids love the skills and flair of Neymar. 

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I wonder how much of the transfer is them hoping Brazil wins the world cup? I mean it's best to get there before than after but I can't see Brazil winning it whilst the French team is as complete as they are

I do think Neymar at least is bringing in more money than Ibrah, kids love the skills and flair of Neymar. 

What if the Dutch beat the French tomorrow and France don't even get to go to the World Cup?

What if the Dutch team could play decent football? ;)

Official: Mahrez has left the Algerian national team with permission to finalize a transfer

Around the Network

Rumours of Draxler to Arsenal this morning. Might be an interesting one. Think of Lascasette with Sanchez, Ozil and Draxler behind him. Might be cause for Sanchez to stay.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:
Rumours of Drazler to Arsenal this morning. Might be an interesting one. Think of Lascasette with Sanchez, Ozil and Drawler behind him. Might be cause for Sanchez to stay.

Third time's the charm?

Sorry... Dracler.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Arsenal bidding 92m for Thomas Lemar.

heh, guess all that "Arsenal do well for spending so little" will be over if that goes through. That will be the highest fee ever paid by a Premier League club right? IIRC Pogba to Utd was only 90m

Love how we're using 'only' ahaha.

Ka-pi96 said:
Arsenal bidding 92m for Thomas Lemar.

heh, guess all that "Arsenal do well for spending so little" will be over if that goes through. That will be the highest fee ever paid by a Premier League club right? IIRC Pogba to Utd was only 90m

Holy cow, and people thought the fee for Pogba was ridiculous!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Japan become the 4th team to qualify for the World Cup. I believe Mexico can become the 5th later today. I watched some Asian qualifiers this morning, and to be honest the teams looked like shit. I can't imagine any of them doing something in Russia next year.