By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

If someone is willing to pay 200 million for their services then he's worth it to them or they wouldn't have bought him. He is the most marketable player in the world and will make them lots of money with various deals, he is still young and therefore has resell value even 4 years from now to a man united/city team. 

If he helps them to a champions league or 2 in 4 years and sell him for 100-120 Millon down the line I'd say that's pretty worth it in my books.

And if they don't win any champions leagues? If another player ends up outshining him (perhaps the also ludicrously overpriced Mbappe even)? If they can't resell him for anywhere near that?

Or also, if they do fall foul of FFP regulations, as could well happen, and get kicked out of European football for a season or two?

Plenty of ways they could end up regretting spending so much on just 1 player. And just because 1 team were willing to spend that much on him, doesn't mean the market as a whole would value him anywhere near that amount.

Wyrdness said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

If someone is willing to pay 200 million for their services then he's worth it to them or they wouldn't have bought him. He is the most marketable player in the world and will make them lots of money with various deals, he is still young and therefore has resell value even 4 years from now to a man united/city team. 

If he helps them to a champions league or 2 in 4 years and sell him for 100-120 Millon down the line I'd say that's pretty worth it in my books.

Not if they get barred from the CL because of the financial fair play then they're stuck with 200m quids worth in a domestic league they would have most likely won anyway with out spending that much.

Like there's any way FIFA are gonna do shit to PSG. They're owned by the government that bought the world cup, tey have FIFA in their pockets unfortunately. 

He's already shining in the league and there is no guarantee at all of a champions league but the money he makes and the value they could sell him for I can honestly easily see why they made that assessment and why they find him worth it. Players like him is what make a league grow and mbappe staying in the league is huge. The more people that watch ligue 1 the more expensive the TV rights become and the more money PSG get. 

When this first came out I thought the same this fee is ridiculous they can't justify it etc etc. But honestly after assessing it and digesting it for a few weeks I totally understand why they valued him at that much. The way the sport has become it's a lot to do with what goes on off of the pitch.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Like there's any way FIFA are gonna do shit to PSG. They're owned by the government that bought the world cup, tey have FIFA in their pockets unfortunately. 

He's already shining in the league and there is no guarantee at all of a champions league but the money he makes and the value they could sell him for I can honestly easily see why they made that assessment and why they find him worth it. Players like him is what make a league grow and mbappe staying in the league is huge. The more people that watch ligue 1 the more expensive the TV rights become and the more money PSG get. 

When this first came out I thought the same this fee is ridiculous they can't justify it etc etc. But honestly after assessing it and digesting it for a few weeks I totally understand why they valued him at that much. The way the sport has become it's a lot to do with what goes on off of the pitch.

Good thing FIFA don't have a say in FFP rules since they were made by UEFA for UEFA competitions, and UEFA is probably the confederation that's most pissed off about Qatar getting the World Cup, especially with it needing to be moved so that it clashes with UEFA competitions

I'm not sure about Neymar/Mbappe making the league grow. Usually players like that would make a league more popular, yes. But when they're all on the same team? A team that will easily win the title almost every year with virtually no competition? Will people really want to continue watching that? They really need at least one other big team there that can compete with them both on the pitch and financially. La Liga wouldn't be half as interesting if Barcelona and Real Madrid weren't both competing so hard for the title would it?

UEFA are owned by FIFA xD 

It's true there needs to be more strength throughout the League. Monaco seem to always find stars and have had a strong start so if they can grow, get themselves a new stadium, Marseille and teams like that come back into eurpean prominence we could see a big change in the next 10 years. 

I'm not talking about things straight away but when you buy a player for 200 million you're not exaclty going to be thinging short term. No company investment that big is planning on seeing instant returns. 

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

UEFA are owned by FIFA xD 

It's true there needs to be more strength throughout the League. Monaco seem to always find stars and have had a strong start so if they can grow, get themselves a new stadium, Marseille and teams like that come back into eurpean prominence we could see a big change in the next 10 years. 

I'm not talking about things straight away but when you buy a player for 200 million you're not exaclty going to be thinging short term. No company investment that big is planning on seeing instant returns. 

Doesn't really matter. FIFA know they couldn't get away with trying to meddle with UEFA competitions and preven them from enforcing their own rules.

Monaco weren't big for awhile though, until they started splashing the cash themselves. Although with how much selling they've done recently you've really got to wonder if they'd be willing to invest a load of money in to players again, or if they'd rather just have a fat bank account. As for a stadium, how possible would that even be for them? I don't imagine land is easy to come by in Monaco, or cheap for that matter!

I really do hope teams like Marseille do make a comeback and can become competitive again though. Weren't they recently bought out by a billionaire or something? So maybe there is some potential there at least.

Of course FIFA could, it's a very corrupt organisation and PSG wouldn't have bought a £200 million player if they didn't they they could avoid being kicked out of UEFA competions. The way it all runs from up above is madness. 

They weren't big for a while and they have a lot of money now from the stars they made. That's the idea of selling clubs they don't want to do it forever but if you can consistently find and sell stars and are smart with your business after a while you can really build yourself up organically (Ie Tottenham). Stadium expansions work also but again as Tottenham did they bought out a lot of land to build their stadium. It would set Monaco back financially for a few years (Arsenal) but in 10 years or so from now the landscape could be very different. 

Yeah exactly hopefully they can become bigger again, I'd love not only a competitive french league but french teams to compete in Europe. They beat us in England last year, Monaco and PSG looked great and PSG should've beat Barcelona (and the reason they didn't they signed :P) Lyon look far away from winning the League 7 times in a row and Serie A is back and will only get better so you can possibly see them doing some madness in the market in the next 5 years. 

Man I really feel Juve could've kept both logos and keep the old one on the Kit but their merch and various sponsered Items. Like this:

But this just doesn't look right

Call me selfish but I care so little for Ligue 1 that I wish Neymar never went there. And as for financial fair play, I believe all that will do is ensure that Manchester United are always the champions, because they are one of the only teams that actually make money.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Good thing FIFA don't have a say in FFP rules since they were made by UEFA for UEFA competitions, and UEFA is probably the confederation that's most pissed off about Qatar getting the World Cup, especially with it needing to be moved so that it clashes with UEFA competitions

I'm not sure about Neymar/Mbappe making the league grow. Usually players like that would make a league more popular, yes. But when they're all on the same team? A team that will easily win the title almost every year with virtually no competition? Will people really want to continue watching that? They really need at least one other big team there that can compete with them both on the pitch and financially. La Liga wouldn't be half as interesting if Barcelona and Real Madrid weren't both competing so hard for the title would it?

It's actually not UEFA that's angry with FIFA, they support FIFA in most circumstances. It's the ECA (European Club Association) that is frustrated by them.

HomokHarcos said:

Call me selfish but I care so little for Ligue 1 that I wish Neymar never went there. And as for financial fair play, I believe all that will do is ensure that Manchester United are always the champions, because they are one of the only teams that actually make money.

Yeah Manchester United and Real madrid make the big bucks just by existing. Can get some stupid tiny sponsership for £60 million like nothing. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
HomokHarcos said:

Yeah Manchester United and Real madrid make the big bucks just by existing. Can get some stupid tiny sponsership for £60 million like nothing. 

We will get to see classics like this all of the time.

https://youtu.be/ak4kjGJMQBc

ArchangelMadzz said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And if they don't win any champions leagues? If another player ends up outshining him (perhaps the also ludicrously overpriced Mbappe even)? If they can't resell him for anywhere near that?

Or also, if they do fall foul of FFP regulations, as could well happen, and get kicked out of European football for a season or two?

Plenty of ways they could end up regretting spending so much on just 1 player. And just because 1 team were willing to spend that much on him, doesn't mean the market as a whole would value him anywhere near that amount.

Wyrdness said:

Not if they get barred from the CL because of the financial fair play then they're stuck with 200m quids worth in a domestic league they would have most likely won anyway with out spending that much.

FIFA don't have a say in FFP UEFA do and the latter aren't owned by FIFA either they're one of the governing bodies of FIFA.

Things like this won't make Ligue 1 grow because as a league it lacks the full competitive draw of other top leagues no offence to L1 but it will be like one of these, believe me Neymar may shine there but he's facing inferior teams to before and because PSG will be the only ones spending such money it risks being like the Scottish League where one team will just end up dominating. This won't bring the French league recognition or make it grow it'll just make PSG stand out.

Nah the fee is still stupid no matter what, football is just inflated prices.

Wyrdness said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

FIFA don't have a say in FFP UEFA do and the latter aren't owned by FIFA either they're one of the governing bodies of FIFA.

Things like this won't make Ligue 1 grow because as a league it lacks the full competitive draw of other top leagues no offence to L1 but it will be like one of these, believe me Neymar may shine there but he's facing inferior teams to before and because PSG will be the only ones spending such money it risks being like the Scottish League where one team will just end up dominating. This won't bring the French league recognition or make it grow it'll just make PSG stand out.

Nah the fee is still stupid no matter what, football is just inflated prices.

They're still the parent organisation and have power in the situation, nothing will happen to PSG that will affect them in any significant way, I can promise that. 

He is facing inferioir teams but he plays against competitive teams in the champions league so if they can build something there they've got something. Monaco are growing and have a lot of money and constantly find stars and Marseille are on the rise as well, in 10 years Ligue 1 could become a force again. 

I thought the same, but buying a player for 200 million, making a butt tonne of money off of him and improving your club competitively making you more money and after 4 years of service selling him for 100 million at least is pretty good business in the long run.