By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Time to just call the Dutch 2010 team then I guess, retired and out of the loop or not, they'd certainly do a lot better.

Around the Network

The state of Dutch football at the moment:

• 11th ranked league in Europe
  • 4th in the Euro 2016 qualifiers behind Iceland, the Czech Republic and Turkey
  • Currently 4th in the World Cup 2016 qualifiers behind France, Sweden and Bulgaria
  • Ajax and PSV aren't good enough to qualify for the god damn Europa League

I think it's time for players like Wijnaldum, Sneijder and Strootman to be benched for a while. Yes, they obviously are better than the alternatives but all are always complete utter shit for the national team, and I'm sure that after 3 years of shit results they aren't well mentally when at the national team. I'd rather see other players who although worse, are at least somewhat happy. Should just field players like Pröpper, Vilhena and van Ginkel for some time. Also bench Promes and put Elia there, and just immediately send Janssen back to Tottenham and put Van Wolfswinkel there.

The Dutch can't afford to miss out on the WC, it always feels strange when they're not at any tournament. They missed out on the EC, I don't think I can remember a period where they missed two tournaments in a row.

So last night's last minute signings were a bit dull, the best news was all the deals failing instead of going through.

Rumours say that Lemar didn't want to move to Arsenal, he wanted to go to Liverpool?... what? A big move is a big move kid. Smell the ambition. No player 'wants' to go to Liverpool when they aren't even bidding for you.

And because of this Arsenal don't sell Sanchez.

Whole this is a farce. Swansea got some good deals though. Selling a striker who wasn't scoring that many for one who can easily replace him and getting in a great potential.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain? He wanted to go to Liverpool when the only offer on the table was Chelsea. Thought it would have been hilarious if Liverpool didn't want him and never put in a bid, but they did in the end

Totally makes sense though. He's probably on a fair bit of money at Monaco anyways, knows the team and area, knows the language, and can afford to wait for a move to a club that doesn't look like it's going downhill fast. Nobody wants to jump on to a sinking ship after all

Arsenal are hardly a sinking ship and people need to get over that fact. They made some good purchases at the start of the season, one being a good striker who shows excellent potential in the prem but no, lose to Liverpool and "Arsenal are dead boys".

My issues come from players like Sanchez, is he that unhappy? If he was then he wouldn't play for them, he'd force a move. No, he's happy to take the rediculous wages he already gets paid to play for one of the most recognisable teams in the world along side world class internations. If they brought in Lemar... Lascelles upfront with Ozil, Sanchez and Lemar behind him? That's hardly 'sinking' but the players don't see that, they see what they could get at other clubs and cry for wages.

Plus remember, it's Liverpool and well, as a saints fan I'd prefer players to move to a club with actual potential to win something like Man City, Man U or Chelsea than Southampton B team.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

Liverpool are looking pretty good under Klopp though, they've bought well too. So them winning something in the near future isn't exactly a far flung idea. Even if they don't win I expect them to at least get close to trophies in the next couple seasons. Really can't say the same about Arsenal. Right now I'd put them behind both Manchester Clubs, Chelsea, Tottenham & Liverpool. May only be a matter of time before Everton can surpass them too if they stick with whinger. So yeah, looks like a sinking ship to me.

They looked better when they came second in 13-14. World Class striker, good manager. Yet, they won nothing that season. Won nothing last, probably win nothing this. Same with Tottenham, people wanked over them last season, still haven't won anything since the League Cup in like 2008 and went out of the Champions league in the group stage (Arsenal got to the last 16 again). 

Arsenal have won the FA Cup 3 times since then (last years as well, did Liverpool or Tottenham win anything last year?) and been in the Champions League every season other than this one. A hiccup in the whole scheme. They've made good signings which people are ignoring in this transfer just because they aren't shelling out £100mil for bang average players or bench warmer squad players. Ignore the brand new striker who's made a great start and the 2 world classes players they have midfield (even if one is crying).

Arsenal get more hate than they deserve. 

And it's all over Wenger, not Arsenal. Wenger is fine and Arsenal are good but the media, my god, they love it. After the FA cup win he should have left, no speculation, no talk, just left. Went to drink red win in the south of France away from the media and their shit.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

Arsenal get more hate than they deserve. 

Tbf their fans do go around antagonizing others when they're doing well, they were a mouthy bunch during the Henry era so now other fans are turning up for retribution.

"Unfortunately, instead of being a happy time for him [Coutinho], for his family, it's a moment of anguish, disappointment and sadness," Neymar told ESPN FC.

"I like to see him happy because he is a team-mate and a friend that I've had for a long time. He was rewarded with a goal today, for his and our joy."

Brazil coach Tite also spoke of Coutinho's struggles following the World Cup qualifying win and the speculation surrounding the 25-year-old's future, adding: "Of course it affects him."

So Coutinho is whining about it to his team mates, I don't understand why Liverpool/Klopp is being so stubborn. There's a chance the guy will not give his all this season because it's never a good idea to force someone to do something. Besides, he's not worth the kind of money Barca is paying, take it and let him go.

LurkerJ said:

So Coutinho is whining about it to his team mates, I don't understand why Liverpool/Klopp is being so stubborn. There's a chance the guy will not give his all this season because it's never a good idea to force someone to do something. Besides, he's not worth the kind of money Barca is paying, take it and let him go.

Sadly, too late. It's an odd effect, he got praise and was happy and playing well, rumours arrive that 'THE' club could get him and suddenly he's not happy. The idea of moving to the big club for bug money gets into a player's heads and then things change.  You know, Adam Lallana who we got from Bournemouth as a youth, who helped us through League 1 to the Prem while watching his classmates like Ox and Walcott go on to bigger things before him, who became our captain because of his time with us, who is an Everton fan said "I was dreaming about moving to Liverpool in January" when he got signed in July. These things and the big money move gets into people heads. ... I'm not bitter, even if it's happened to saints like 4 times in recent years. :P 

Liverpool have him under contract, they have no obligation to sell him... of course for the money they should have accept it straight away, £100mil for Coutinho is a stooopid amount. Why do you think in the end Saints accept all that money from Liverpool because it was over the odds for these players who were never going to sign a new contract anyway because of the 'rumours'.

Hmm, pie.