By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

It'd be great if Italy doesn't qualify for the World Cup.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:
So Mexico and Japan were the two teams to qualify during this match cycle. We have 5 teams qualified and 27 teams left.

A fair few teams practically qualified, even if it isn't guaranteed yet too though. I'd say Nigeria, Costa Rica, France, Germany & Belgium will all be there too, barring a miracle.

Germany will probably qualify with the next game. Nigeria has been by far the most impressive African team, I'm excited to see them play next year.

That damn Costa Rican team, who am I going to cheer for if Canada and the US both aren't there?

In regards to African teams on one hand I'm surprised Cameroon struggled on the other hand I'm happy Zambia did well in that group with them and Nigeria as I'm of Zambian descent they are one of the recent ACON chapions though being succeeded, I'm gobsmacked Ghana struggled as well.

I actually think the teams now are as strong as back in the 2010 and 2014 era only where as back then it was more individual ability today its more of their ability as a team, African teams have never had issues producing good technical players per say they always had issues working as teams at big tournaments outside of Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon.

That said Ghana at the last two WCs were a spectacle to watch to think they only lost to Uruguay because of Suarez's handball block of a goal bound shot and Gyan bottling the penalty is insane.

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Germany will probably qualify with the next game. Nigeria has been by far the most impressive African team, I'm excited to see them play next year.

That damn Costa Rican team, who am I going to cheer for if Canada and the US both aren't there?

I'm not really sure what to think of the African teams so far. Haven't really seen much of them to be honest, but it really doesn't seem like any of them are as strong as the African teams were in 2010 & 2014. Gotta say I'd love it if Group E ended as it is though. Would be pretty awesome to see Uganda play at their first ever World Cup.

@bold Mexico? heh, I expect the US will still qualify though. Beat Honduras in their next game and they're in a very good position.

Senegal are said to be the best African team right now on paper, but with the way they are playing in the qualifiers they might not even make the World Cup. Uganda upset Egypt 1-0. I'd feel bad for Egyptians if they missed another World Cup, they haven't been to one since 1990. But Uganda would be a nice story if they make a World Cup debut.

Perhaps the biggest story would be Syria qualifying. I'd Korea and Uzbekistan draw, and Syria best Iran, they would be going to Russia.

After the US and Canada I always cheer for the Asian teams. I'm a little bit worried about the USA not making it.

WE DID A THINGY

Around the Network

Although we won 3-1 today I think it's fair to say that qualification is 99% impossible. Not only are we 3 points behind Sweden, we're also 6 goals behind them in terms of goal difference. We'll play Belarus away from home while they play Luxembourg at home, and then we play against each other. Seriously looking like we'll not only have to beat them, but have to do so by 4 or 5 goals.
We're fucked.

Thursday: France 4-0 the Netherlands
Today: France 0-0 Luxembourg

Fucking kill me already

poklane said:

Fucking kill me already

Wait what?

Wyrdness said:
poklane said:

Fucking kill me already

Wait what?

Luxembourg successfully parked the bus. France had like 75% possession but couldn't score, Luxembourg even hit the post in the 79th minute.

poklane said:
Wyrdness said:

Wait what?

Luxembourg successfully parked the bus. France had like 75% possession but couldn't score, Luxembourg even hit the post in the 79th minute.

I literally had to look up the result to confirm this, in my mind it was already a forgone conclusion that they'd won before they played, this is like reading Brazil were held by San Marino.