By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

ArchangelMadzz said:
Wyrdness said:
La Liga have submitted a request to UEFA for an investigation on Man City on their spending as the owners are benefiting from state aid essentially meaning City are funded or part funded by Government fund

I'm surprised they're only doing this just now. 

I thought if it was against the rules for them to have aid from a government it would've been dealt with a long time ago but it's good something could be done about it if it's against the rules. 

It's actually a very grey area right now as you technically cannot have a club team directly benefiting from the Government or any establishment because then the concept of a club also running like a business goes out the window because one can spend any amount and still have a secure safety net as they're getting a grant essentially.

This is a key reason why Real Madrid became so hated back in the 90s as they had a £200m debt written off and recieved money from the King while having Royal support for decades beforehand.

Around the Network

I thought Manchester City always received government funding as an Emirati politician has a stake.

Looks like Van Persie's career might be over, he has torn his left ACL, could be the end of the season for him.

poklane said:
Looks like Van Persie's career might be over, he has torn his left ACL, could be the end of the season for him.

Shame, he had a good run though. Shouldn't have gone to Turkey though, but that's beside the point.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
poklane said:

Oh, good.... now leave Turkey and go home. you've 'earned' enough.

Hmm, pie.

ArchangelMadzz said:

It's because of the big rumors regarding Messi wanting to play for Pep.

City get fucked by FFP, they can kiss goodbye to Messi.

Carl2291 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's because of the big rumors regarding Messi wanting to play for Pep.

City get fucked by FFP, they can kiss goodbye to Messi.

If Messi goes there even for big money, they can get around it by selling majority of their players, that's how it works. Right?

Sell most of those who are on loan, Aguero and Jesus will get good prices. Some of the players might just have to take a pay cut instead. They won't need them anymore they have Messi... you don't need sub strikers.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

If Messi goes there even for big money, they can get around it by selling majority of their players, that's how it works. Right?

Sell most of those who are on loan, Aguero and Jesus will get good prices. Some of the players might just have to take a pay cut instead. They won't need them anymore they have Messi... you don't need sub strikers.

TBH they spent 300m+ this summer anyway and were confident that another 60m on Sanchez would still keep them well withing FFP budgets. So even if they did buy Messi for big money, as long as they never bought anybody else then they shouldn't need to sell anyway.

Although with Messi still stalling on that new contract... it may be a free transfer! Now that would really upset Barca

Free transfer means his wages would be stooopid big. But you are right on the financial stuff, 120-150 mil from Prem only, plus 100 mil in sales (guessing, many were 'disclosed'). They can spend 150 and be in profit.

Hmm, pie.

Might see the debut of a Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe front three on Friday. I have to watch that.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'