By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

It's very likely that Barcelona will lose La Liga due to Luis Enrique, André Gomes and Neymar. In fact, if I've heard correctly, André Gomes has been a starter in the six away matches Barcelona has lost this season.

Around the Network

Went to the Saints game today. Two things, (1) an okay win, not the best but a win is a win. (2) Some football fans, especially some travelling ones, are dicks. Not just normal dicks but dick dicks. There was this group in front of me and my bro, stood up in front of people (dads and kids) near the front and wouldn't move, only really looked towards the opposing fans to 'rile them'. Plus they were probably already had booze but what's weirder is their looks, their eyes look odd, like they aren't quite there, and none of them wore a saints shirt. If I'd remove anything from football it's fans. :P

Hmm, pie.

RolStoppable said:
poklane said:

IMO countries which are capable of hosting the World Cup on their own shouldn't be allowed to host the World Cup joint with other countries. Whenever countries submit a joint bid FIFA should investigate if those countries can host it on their own, and if they can host it on their own the joint bid shouldn't be accepted by FIFA. It's just taking tickets out of the qualifiers.

The bigger concern for co-hosting is if the proposed countries would qualify on their own, not taking tickets out of the qualifiers. The World Cup has only been co-hosted once, that was by Japan and Korea Republic. Both countries regularly qualify, so no problem here. The same would apply to the USA and Mexico, but Canada would be like Austria for Euro 2008 which was co-hosted by Austria and Switzerland. Travel times are already a concern with the USA alone, so adding Mexico and Canada to the mix wouldn't change anything of significance.

But if Canada wants to host a World Cup, they should either host it on their own or qualify regularly first. That's my gripe with this proposal.

One thing I'd like to see with joint bids is the countries playing matches between them to decide the 'main host'. The main host gets the spot at the World Cup as leader of Group A and gets to host the opening game and final, unless the host countries decide otherwise. The other hosts would still have to try to qualify through regular qualifications. For bids with 2 hosts you can simply do an home and away game with the away goal rule, for 3 or more hosts you'd it via a group system.

So basically: Canada, the US and Mexico play home and away matches against each other, and the country at the top of the group gets all of the above.

By the way, you know what be'd fun? If ASEAN (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) bid for the 2030 World Cup. With how corrupt FIFA is I could see that happening as well.

barca are a joke man. they really dont deserve to win the league, and they are making sure they dont even have the chance to.

poklane, post if you are ok

Around the Network
celador said:

Threw a controller, deodorant and accidentally bit my tongue. I'm fucking done with our shit team. At home we're gods, away we're a fucking embarrassment. Honestly think we're gonna finish 2nd. Win against Utrecht and Heracles, loss against Vitesse, draw against Excelsior.

poklane said:
celador said:

Threw a controller, deodorant and accidentally bit my tongue. I'm fucking done with our shit team. At home we're gods, away we're a fucking embarrassment. Honestly think we're gonna finish 2nd. Win against Utrecht and Heracles, loss against Vitesse, draw against Excelsior.

I saw the Man Utd games earlier in the season, and I guess that was a good example of the difference between Feyenoord home and away. I saw you won 8-0 in the week too.

I hope you can win it seeing as it has been so long. Ajax seem to be playing well accroding to the form guide though, and it looks like going down to the last day

celador said:
poklane said:

I saw the Man Utd games earlier in the season, and I guess that was a good example of the difference between Feyenoord home and away. I saw you won 8-0 in the week too.

I hope you can win it seeing as it has been so long. Ajax seem to be playing well accroding to the form guide though, and it looks like going down to the last day

At least Ajax will still have to play away against PSV while they have to play Schalke just 3 days before that, which honestly is my last hope of them dropping points. Maybe Heerenveen can do something against Ajax as well since they've proven to be quite good against top teams, although they are completely out of form in the 2nd half of the season.

lolololololololol

Not even a proper joint bid, it's more like the US hosting it with Mexico and Canada getting 10 shit matches each. What a pathetic bid

This hurts to say as an American who deeply loves the sport, I was too young for 1994 and desperate to see a World Cup on home soil, but I want this to fail. Much rather do it right in 2034/2038 than burn our one shot with this nonsense in 2026 and never see another one.

Qatar can host one, but we have to share it with two other nations. Makes me sick.