Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Jeez, what is Man City's 3rd kit?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:
Jeez, what is Man City's 3rd kit?

Pure excellence!

... would you buy it and wear it to a game?

Good win for saints. The mid table to 8th is very close but I'd like to finish 8th. Seems like a nice place.

Hmm, pie.

After losing out on the 2022 World Cup to Qatar I thought 2026 the United States would have a strong shot. Yet, now what we're hearing is a joint bid with Mexico/United States/Canada which I hate.

Even with the nonsense of going from 32 to 48 countries, there is zero reason the United States couldn't host the event on its own. This is salt in the wound and robbing us to show just how far we've come since 1994 in so many ways. Part of me honestly be fine losing this bid and getting a 2034 or 2038 US only World Cup.

Augen said:
After losing out on the 2022 World Cup to Qatar I thought 2026 the United States would have a strong shot. Yet, now what we're hearing is a joint bid with Mexico/United States/Canada which I hate.

Even with the nonsense of going from 32 to 48 countries, there is zero reason the United States couldn't host the event on its own. This is salt in the wound and robbing us to show just how far we've come since 1994 in so many ways. Part of me honestly be fine losing this bid and getting a 2034 or 2038 US only World Cup.

IMO countries which are capable of hosting the World Cup on their own shouldn't be allowed to host the World Cup joint with other countries. Whenever countries submit a joint bid FIFA should investigate if those countries can host it on their own, and if they can host it on their own the joint bid shouldn't be accepted by FIFA. It's just taking tickets out of the qualifiers.

poklane said:

IMO countries which are capable of hosting the World Cup on their own shouldn't be allowed to host the World Cup joint with other countries. Whenever countries submit a joint bid FIFA should investigate if those countries can host it on their own, and if they can host it on their own the joint bid shouldn't be accepted by FIFA. It's just taking tickets out of the qualifiers.

I completely agree, and felt that way since 2002 when Korea and Japan joint hosted.  There are some European countries I could see doing a two nation bid (Netherlands/Belgium) but if this becomes the standard then even England, Spain, France, Germany, or Italy would have to find 2 other nations to join in making the event less special.  The World Cup should be, in part, a celebration of a country.  You spread it out and it losses meaning, I feel similarly about the Euro in 2020 being in thirteen countries.

Around the Network
Augen said:

poklane said:
Augen said:

Ka-pi96 said:
Yeah, joint bids seem pretty strange for large countries, especially the likes of US/Canada/Mexico. All 3 of them can host it by themselves, no need for a joint bid whatsoever.

Maybe Donald Trump is preparing to annex Mexico and Canada, so by 2026 it'll only be one country?

Funny that the US will probably host the WC twice in less than 40 years and England the land of football will go 60+ without doing so, sounds pretty stupid to me

leyendax69 said:

Funny that the US will probably host the WC twice in less than 40 years and England the land of football will go 60+ without doing so, sounds pretty stupid to me

You just mentioned another good reason IMO why the US shouldn't host the World Cup.

poklane said:
leyendax69 said:

You just mentioned another good reason IMO why the US shouldn't host the World Cup.

We all know it will happen anyways $$$

leyendax69 said:

The issue is confederations are up for specific years and 2026 is North America or Africa.  Europe will be up for 2030 and I'd be fine with England getting it.

Sometimes I wish the US could bid as a region "US West" and "US East" given its sheer size.  For me the travel costs of it being in the US or in England would be of little difference.  

Reference
Someone from London distance to World Cup Finals - 1990 Rome (1400km) - 1998 Paris (350 km) - 2006 Berlin (1000km) - 2018 Moscow (2500km)
Someone from Washington DC distance to World Cup Final - 1994 Los Angeles (3700km)