By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Augen said:
leyendax69 said:

Funny that the US will probably host the WC twice in less than 40 years and England the land of football will go 60+ without doing so, sounds pretty stupid to me

The issue is confederations are up for specific years and 2026 is North America or Africa.  Europe will be up for 2030 and I'd be fine with England getting it.

Sometimes I wish the US could bid as a region "US West" and "US East" given its sheer size.  For me the travel costs of it being in the US or in England would be of little difference.  

Reference
Someone from London distance to World Cup Finals - 1990 Rome (1400km) - 1998 Paris (350 km) - 2006 Berlin (1000km) - 2018 Moscow (2500km)
Someone from Washington DC distance to World Cup Final - 1994 Los Angeles (3700km)

Yeah I understand but I don't think it should work like that. North America barely has teams able to host a wc outside Mexico, Canada and the U.S heck I think even Canada would need some preparation. Edit, I meant concacaf

Europe should host more often than they currently are given the amount of nations and footballing culture, without mentioning the most wc wins (similar to uefa coefficient for champions and europa league).

Well that's just me, nothing against the U.S hosting it again, just seems odd.

Around the Network
Augen said:
leyendax69 said:

Funny that the US will probably host the WC twice in less than 40 years and England the land of football will go 60+ without doing so, sounds pretty stupid to me

The issue is confederations are up for specific years and 2026 is North America or Africa.  Europe will be up for 2030 and I'd be fine with England getting it.

Sometimes I wish the US could bid as a region "US West" and "US East" given its sheer size.  For me the travel costs of it being in the US or in England would be of little difference.  

Reference
Someone from London distance to World Cup Finals - 1990 Rome (1400km) - 1998 Paris (350 km) - 2006 Berlin (1000km) - 2018 Moscow (2500km)
Someone from Washington DC distance to World Cup Final - 1994 Los Angeles (3700km)

I honestly don't really think that's a problem. Russia is over 7 million km2 bigger than the US, but they resolved it by making all but 1 of the stadiums in Europe.

leyendax69 said:

Yeah I understand but I don't think it should work like that. North America barely has teams able to host a wc outside Mexico, Canada and the U.S heck I think even Canada would need some preparation. Edit, I meant concacaf

Europe should host more often than they currently are given the amount of nations and footballing culture, without mentioning the most wc wins (similar to uefa coefficient for champions and europa league).

Well that's just me, nothing against the U.S hosting it again, just seems odd.

There's little doubt that Europe of UEFA has by far the most qualified nations to host the event.  Why, in part, they have hosted it more than any other continent.  It is a balance of rewarding existing nations and epxanding the game on the global scene.  I get why they want one in China or Australia for example.  I get why United States got it in 1994 and as someone who grew up in the post 1994 era seeing the game grow the past two decades has been remarkable.  I also think England are due a World Cup in 2026, 2030, 2034 or when ever they can get one.

The only World Cup I've ever had issue with is Qatar 2022 as think it does nothing for the sport and will have no legacy.

Ka-pi96 said:
Augen said:

Reference

Don't rule out South America or even Oceania!

Fiji 2026 here we come!

I heard 2030 will be Argentina-Uruguay

VGPolyglot said:
Augen said:

Reference

I honestly don't really think that's a problem. Russia is over 7 million km2 bigger than the US, but they resolved it by making all but 1 of the stadiums in Europe.

well since 77% of the Russian population lives in European part of Russia, that's hardly a surprise

Around the Network
Barozi said:
VGPolyglot said:

well since 77% of the Russian population lives in European part of Russia, that's hardly a surprise

Well, there was a playoff game in Russia before where a team from Kaliningrad had to face a team from Vladivostok!

VGPolyglot said:

If people had no issue I'd be fine with the United States going "all host sites will be in the East this time, when we bid again in 30-40 years all host sites will be in the west" but I doubt that would go over well.

Russia is heavily distributed to its Western quarter.  The United States is more equally distributed from west to east as people spread out over the past century.

Ka-pi96 said:
leyendax69 said:

I heard 2030 will be Argentina-Uruguay

Because they gave Blatter an envelope of cash for it? Not sure that still applies

I know Uruguay are going the 100th anniversary angle to try and get it, with Argentina as co-host cuz Uruguay is pretty small, but I certainly don't think it's guaranteed. I haven't even heard that they're 100% making a bid yet, just thinking about it. 100th anniversary back where it started would be kinda cool, but they will be bidding against European countries too!

Edit: Oh, and that still doesn't rule out Fiji. So... believe!

I don't know where Fiji is but I believe!:v

Augen said:
VGPolyglot said:

If people had no issue I'd be fine with the United States going "all host sites will be in the East this time, when we bid again in 30-40 years all host sites will be in the west" but I doubt that would go over well.

Russia is heavily distributed to its Western quarter.  The United States is more equally distributed from west to east as people spread out over the past century.

I don't really think it's an issue, though. They could just have one bracket play in the west while the other plays in the east.