By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

NiKKoM said:
Goatseye said:

I'm not English. Still, I consider English players above average. They just need better coaches and system.

Most of the time English players don't get out of the country because they get payed higher than most European leagues right out of the gate. Their country has a better soccer culture and PL is usually more exciting.

"Honestly, don't ever get hyped about the English team, until you have players playing in top foreign clubs." That's a load of bollocks, Italy in 2006 had mostly domestic players, Spain 2008 had mostly Real and Barcelona players, Germany 2014 had mostly Bayern and Dortmund players.

but... de Rossi, Totti, Gatusso, Bufon, Toni, Del Piero... Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Cassilas, Villa...Neuer, Ozil, Muller, Kroos,... sure you don't have to play in a foreign league when you have multiple players with that kinda worldclass skill level... but the English don't have those kinda players.. not even close.. do they even have one worldclass player?

I consider Cahill, Sturridge, Sterling and even Rooney world class players. However, England's Achilles hill the way they defend. I find it very passive and not tournament worthy. They have the capability to do it but the system they play on is very limited to compete internationally.

Netherlands had bunch of world class players throughout the generations but they always forgot to be compatc in the back. Chile has 1 world class player but they battle for ball and defend like its their last game ever. I love that.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Depends, what's your definition of world class player?

I've seen some people that call just about every player possible world class so...

Definily not Cahill, Sterling, Sturridge.. Like Goatseye said.. My level would be Like Bale, Robben, Suarez, Modric, Griezman.. That level below Messi and Ronaldo.. Cahill, Sterling, Sturridge are well below that.. How does FIFA 16 rate the English?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

The last "world class" English players were prime Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard.

We currently have no "world class" players. None of that starting XI would get into the German team or the French team, or even the Spanish team. Cahill, Sterling, Sturridge and Rooney wouldn't start for the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Juventus.

It's a cup full of poison that needs pouring out and filling up with fresh water.

Edit - Add in John Terry to that world class section too.

Carl2291 said:

The last "world class" English players were prime Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard.

We currently have no "world class" players. None of that starting XI would get into the German team or the French team, or even the Spanish team. Cahill, Sterling, Sturridge and Rooney wouldn't start for the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Juventus.

It's a cup full of poison that needs pouring out and filling up with fresh water.

Edit - Add in John Terry to that world class section too.

It's not about world class players.  it's about a team with passion,  guts and tactics.  England lack of all that.  

Sure Italy just beat Spain.  On paper you'd think Italy weren't up to much,  but they have all of the above. 

Kerotan said:

It's not about world class players.  it's about a team with passion,  guts and tactics.  England lack of all that.  

Sure Italy just beat Spain.  On paper you'd think Italy weren't up to much,  but they have all of the above. 

World class players helps out... But yes you're right. England as a football team has no passion, guts or tactics. The last player to actually give a fuck was John Terry and they wouldn't let him play. Before that, Beckham, who was also dropped by a clueless prick with a brolly.

The FA are a bunch of useless cunts too.

I'm actually furious.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

World class players helps out... But yes you're right. England as a football team has no passion, guts or tactics. The last player to actually give a fuck was John Terry and they wouldn't let him play. Before that, Beckham, who was also dropped by a clueless prick with a brolly.

I'm actually furious.

Chatting to 2 English lads in France we all agreed terry should have been in the squad 

I think Rooney is the only English player that is true world class. Actually, no. He was world class at one point a few years back.

Poor Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gC2JjatGwM

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

weaveworld said:
Based on what do people expect the English team to perform well in these tournaments?

People think those players are better thn they actually are because of overrated premier league 

Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

I'm actually furious.

Well, yes, they do lack the passion - but I'd say it's a sign of a lack of confidence. If you look at the Iceland game for example, England was just hesitating all the time. I can't remember if England had any attempts on the second half that had been dangerous to Iceland, until Rashford got to play.

I don't think we can name just one problem with England, but a sum of them, and it starts right from the kids coaching.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.