By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

God damn it, Eder.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

That was painful to watch.

The lack of quality surprises me every tournament.

weaveworld said:
That was painful to watch.

The lack of quality surprises me every tournament.

You're dutch... You should be used to a lack of quality...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

RolStoppable said:
Scisca said:

From the pespective of a Sunday fan? No. From a perspective of someone who knows football? Absolutely.

I do wonder about one thing: If you know football, then how come that you are the only one who puts Poland on the same level as the big favorites? I haven't heard or seen anyone else mention Poland as a top class team.

That raises the question how drunk you are today.

Oh, so salty

Then obviously others know nothing about football

If you haven't heard anyone say that, then maybe you should start watching the studio before the game? I'm watching ZDF and their experts are giving us a lot of respect. We are the most common choice for the black horse of the Cup. You may also analyze our squad for yourself:

Lewandowski - do I need to introduce him? Best pure striker in the World right now
Milik - the best striker of Ajax. Previous guys that were in his situation at this point in their carriers include Ibrahimović, Suarez, Huntelaar and other legends

Krychowiak - the leader of Sevilla (won Europa League), selected to the top 11 players of the season in Primera División (far and away the best league in the World)
Błaszczykowski - currently in Fiorentina, but he's a seasoned veteran from Borussia
Zieliński - Empoli, but Liverpool just outbid Napoli and got him for around 12-15 mil Euro
Grosicki - Rennes, a solid French team, he's the second best scorer there despite being a midfielder

Piszczek - a veteran from Borussia
Glik - the captain of FC Torino. When you're the central defender and the captain of a good team in Italy, you're good. There are rumours that Juve and Milan are interested in getting him. This season he set the Serie A all time record in goals scored by a defender in a single season

Szczęsny, Fabiański, Boruc - all top quality keepers. Joe Hart would struggle to be the 4th keeper on our team, as we have other very solid guys here

On top of that comes a number of talented young guys from the Polish league, like Kapustka (Man of the Match vs. N. Ireland), Mączyński (worked like a horse yesterday), Jodłowiec and others, who round out the team.

Our team has players playing for good teams, while some are the leaders of the best teams in the World. How many teams on Euro can say that? How can you not consider a team like that a contender, especially when it's oozing with team spirit? The core is rock solid, the roster is deep. If you can't see it... You're in for a surprise I'm not going to go as far as to say that we're the favourites, but a top 5 team - easily. I would be very, very disappointed if we lost to a team outside of that group. You'll see in the knock-out stage who the favourites are going to be in our games.

By the way - the greatest shock of this Euro for me has been listening to Olivier Khan on ZDF. I was expecting him to have a terrible, dirty accent matching his rugged appearance from when he was still playing, so listening to his soft, clear and pleasant accent is surprising. Didn't expect to like it this much.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Sprash said:
Carl2291 said:

I'm looking for a source on this but can't find one. Admittedly, I've not looked far. Can you link please?

I found this here: Brit dies at Euro 2016 after falling 26ft off a beachside promenade

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-dies-euro-2016-after-8177755

That's not what I meant. The Russian consulate in Marseilles confirmed that a 51-years-old English fan died after being in a coma due to severe brain damage, after Russians beat his head with an iron bar multiple times. I believe his name is Andrew Bache.

http://112.international/sport/euro-2016-british-fan-dies-after-fight-with-russians-in-marseille-5999.html

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

Goal in the first half?`Is this real life?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Croatia is looking so damn good.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

RolStoppable said:

Black horse isn't the same as a clear cut favorite. And of course the Germans are going to give Poland a lot of respect because it makes themselves look better. Just like it's a sure thing that Austrian broadcasters will talk up Portugal as a title favorite when Austria suffers an 0-4 loss tomorrow.

If we take the group of Germany, Italy, Spain and France for granted, then I'd definitely rather put Croatia than Poland into the top 5. Portugal has also looked better than Poland. Belgium will probably show up tomorrow and win back some goodwill. Nah, Poland isn't a top 5 team. You would have had a point if Poland won yesterday, but a boring 0-0 against Germany isn't enough to lift Poland into the top 5.

The joke is that the team and even Löw did not give Poland credit after the match. No one said that they played great or that their defense was solid. Everyone recognized that they were the ones at fault for not capitalizing on their opportunities. Which says a lot since saying that the other team was great is usually a good shorthand for saving your own ass after a shitty presentation.

If they really think they played a good game and that their strategy of not attacking works against everyone, they won't come very far this Euro. They achieved a 0:0 against a German team at its worst.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm Rolling (no pun intended) on the flor. Let's wait for Italy to pass the turn and then get defeated during the first match...

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

The joke is that the team and even Löw did not give Poland credit after the match. No one said that they played great or that their defense was solid. Everyone recognized that they were the ones at fault for not capitalizing on their opportunities. Which says a lot since saying that the other team was great is usually a good shorthand for saving your own ass after a shitty presentation.

If they really think they played a good game and that their strategy of not attacking works against everyone, they won't come very far this Euro.

That's right, I saw a couple of interviews and Die Mannschaft didn't react like the journalists Scisca was refering to. If Günther Netzer was still around, he would have torn the German team a new one after yesterday's game, not praised Poland for playing a good/smart/whatever game.

Pretty sure the team will bei starting their next game with an additional orifice sponsored by Löw. They also seemed pretty disappointed with themselves as well.

But what can you do against the great nation of Poland.