By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Holland always forgets to defend. There's no gap of generations or what not.
The team had no leader and no spirit of a winning team.
You can have an old team but with consistent good performances, you can go far.

Around the Network

Don't Holland often have problems with unity in their squad? I agree some what with Goatseye that it's not an age thing as average teams have performed well look at the 2002 German squad, outside of Kahn and Ballack they were average but had the mentality to grind results out. Holland had that mentality at the WC they've misplaced it for the qualifiers it seems.

NiKKoM said:
zuvuyeay said:

that is what some dutch journo said on the bbc radio when they were asking what happened to you,that they are missing an inbetween gen,you'd still think the much praised dutch system would have good enough players for a play off place though

have belgium stolen your players?

they also said that koeman was the man most wanted and they chose hiddink was it?,can't quite remember now

Well we kinda should have 2 great teams in the of age 25 to 29.. they were european champions under 21 in 2006 and 2007.. with 22 different players.. but only Huntelaar and maybe Vlaar became above average senior players and the rest just failed and playing in (below)average teams now.. Babel, Drenthe, Emanuelson, Maduro, Affelay and a dozen of others kinda all failed choosing the right path for their careers.

So we have a huuuge gap with the generation with an aging Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Huntelaar and the newest age 18 to 24 with Clasie, Wijnaldum, Depay, Klaassen, El Ghazi.. talented but not stable enough.. The worldclass talent of Robben in 2014 and worldclass talent of Sneijder in 2010 has covered a lot of the problem but with the age and injuries they couldn't do it again for us.

Koeman was the chosen one in the eye of the public but the higher ups not impressed with the pressure chose Hiddink.. I actually don't think Koeman would have done better with the missing players in the age of 25 to 29..

doesn't sound too good for the immediate future then,you have quite a tough WC group but not imposiible or anything,no 3rd place though this time

players like robben,sneijder,van persie,vdv are very good and like you say  the World class players can carry the teams when you have a decent enough squad,robbens & sneijders don't come round everyday though,we've been waiting for true world class for decades

Above & Beyond

I actually hope Depay doesn't start against Everton. He has been simply underwhelming lately.

EDIT: Nvm, I forgot that Young is injured.. -__-

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

3 matches to watch today, Spurs - Liverpool, Everton - ManU and sugar on top Watford - Arsenal 😏 Should be entertaining day.

Around the Network
AZWification said:

I actually hope Depay doesn't start against Everton. He has been simply underwhelming lately.

Whole ManU was underwhelming against Arsenal. Really hope they step up their game, I want to see them return to their glory days. And crush City next week 😁

KiigelHeart said:
AZWification said:

Whole ManU was underwhelming against Arsenal. Really hope they step up their game, I want to see them return to their glory days. And crush City next week 😁

With both Aguero and Silva injured we might actually win that game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Quite a high pressure game Spurs - Liverpool..feels like playing UT in Fifa16 😋

Van Gaal sure knows how to manage Dutch players :p

Hope he starts herrera now every week! thislad is pure class!!

and finally rooney is back!!

My Retail Games Collection (January 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ99pL3WR2goZTseFboiz8g