By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony have a new handheld in by mid-09?

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON PSP, JUST SOME CONJECTURE ON MY OWN PART 

I was just wondering this, for a few reasons.  While the PSP is selling respectable hardware numbers (more than any non-Nintendo handheld ever has), it's fairly obvious it's not doing nearly as well overall as Sony (and many others) expected, particularly due to the lack of software sales, as well as general dislike of Sony by a fair chunk of people.

To a lot of people, the PSP has done a few things wrong (I'mnot giving my own opinion, this just seems to be what I'm gathering from the people I've seen talking about PSP):

-Too expensive for a handheld

-Not enough focuson games that can be played in shorter bursts (loading times, and more 'console'-type games)

-Focussed too much on being a media centre, which is why it doesn't sell many games.

So, here is my question:

With the DS currently selling like hotcakes, making PSP's hardware sales look bad and its' software sales practically nonexistent, will Sony come out with a new handheld by the middle of next year, in an attempt to gain the first-mover advantage and force Nintendo to release a new handheld before they are ready (similar to what Microsoft did to the PS3)?

There would be a few advantages to this:

-They would be the only one on the market for a while

-They would obviously make it cheaper, and focus more on selling games, so it would have a better reputation than the PSP by the time Nintendo did get their new handheld out.  They'd also likely be able to have a price drop right around the time of DS2.

-If Nintendo was forced to make a new handheld earlier than they wanted, it would cause a serious drop in DS sales (which would likely be at around 95-100 million at the time) and would probably allow Sony to keep the honour of #1-selling game system of all time.

In my opinion, this could give them a chance against Ninty next time.  Nintendo would stillbe seenin a much better light than Sony, but they could fare much more respectably imo.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

mid-2009 is when I would see both presenting new machines.

>particularly due to the lack of software sales, as well as general dislike of Sony by a fair chunk of people.

Yeah, bringing in a new handheld isn't going to help software either.

and I have a feeling 'general dislike of Sony' Bunch, aren't going to be all Sony-loving all the sudden.

I say the beginning of '10,

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

mid 2010

Vgchartz = Video...Charts

(On Machina request take off from my sign..........)

Probably mid 09 because sony is "losing"

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

The psp is ahead of its time, and I dont believe a new sony handheld is needed(at this time).

Also, nice way to try and not to start a flame war.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

weezy said:
Probably mid 09 because sony is "losing"

nice sarcasm there

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

the psp is the most successful failure. ever

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
zackblue said:
The psp is ahead of its time, and I dont believe a new sony handheld is needed(at this time).

Also, nice way to try and not to start a flame war.

So the future is selling half as much as DS.

Gotcha.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

I expect Mid 09 for the sony handheld most likely named psp2

and mid 2010 for the ds 2