By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony have a new handheld in by mid-09?

RolStoppable said:

The GBA sold about 80m units in 7 years. The DS sold about 60m in 3 years and will easily pass the GBA sales within its 4th year.

Now how is Sony taking away market from Nintendo, which was ssj12's original argument? Not at all it seems.

Sony is only taking marketshare, but I think Nintendo can live with it while having by far the most successful portable system in videogame history.

my argument is that Sony has managed to keep Nintendo from having over 98% of the overall market.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Time will show, it`s still 2-3 years away form release. :P =-)

I still will hold 4 mini-cell on 1 core in psp2.

but 3 SPEs vs 7 SPEs =/= the PS3's graphics.
but 480p =/= 720p/1080p.
HA HA.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

weezy said:
kingofwale said:
> Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

Why are you asking SSJ for something this obvious?

Look at Handheld's % BEFORE PSP entered the market, and look at the ratio now.

Acually Im looking at sales for DS/GBA and I am not seeing any effect of PSP on DS sales :)

Nintendo is expanding the market unlike other developers.

When will ppl wake up and realise nintendo is now unstoppable since the blue ocean concept has taken place

Wow I just had to quote myself on this one

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

CrazzyMan said:
With Cell processor inside, with graphics on pair PS3 or better.

By the end of 2009? Possible. By the end 2010 - Definetely.

If psp2 will somehow have L2 and R2 triggers + right stick, then it will easy play ALL PSone and PS2 games - That handheld will be a MUST HAVE.

Your future PSP will cost $400, weigh as much as a bag of bricks, and have 30 minutes battery life.

I hope for Sony's sake they are not listening to you right now, such a handheld would be a disaster for all the reasons that the PSP was killed by the DS and more.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

ssj12 said:
fkusumot said:
zackblue said:
fkusumot said:
ssj12 said:
psrock said:
the psp is the most successful failure. ever

its not a failure in the least, Sony managed to do what so many othermanaged to do in the handheld market, take market from Nintendo without giving up (see ngage as nokia isnt a small company and gave up vs Nintendo).

How did Sony take market from Nintendo? What numbers are you using?

The vgchartz numbers on the front page.

Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

this has to be the EASIEST question to answer. Every generation of handhelds there has always been a competing handheld and every time Nintendo destroys them. This time around Nintendo is having a hard time successfully pulled a 98+% marketshare off like the previous generations.

Well, the GG did okay against the GB. For a few years it did almost as well as the PSP is doing against the DS. You know, just sayin'. 

Around the Network

@omgwtfbbq,

Take PSP, ADD 32nm or 11nm Cell (which will cost less then today`s PSP CPU and consume LESS power, because of tech process).
ADD triggers.

What 400$???

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

What the hell would a psp 2 have? better graphics? bigger screen? more expensive? yeah, that's gonna boost sales helluva lot.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

1) Get rid of UMD. Many, many reasons behind that.
2) Add right thumbstick. Like wtf is the point of adding 1 thumbstick?
3) Rinse and repeat.
4) That is all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

CrazzyMan said:
Time will show, it`s still 2-3 years away form release. :P =-)

I still will hold 4 mini-cell on 1 core in psp2.

but 3 SPEs vs 7 SPEs =/= the PS3's graphics.
but 480p =/= 720p/1080p.
HA HA.

Wanna toss that in your sig?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
CrazzyMan said:
@omgwtfbbq,

Take PSP, ADD 32nm or 11nm Cell (which will cost less then today`s PSP CPU and consume LESS power, because of tech process).
ADD triggers.

What 400$???

You have no concept of how computers work. You have no understanding of electronics. You have no understanding of microprocessors. You're just making shit up.

Firstly, there will NOT be an 11nm Cell in 2010. Secondly, Just taking a PSP and adding a smaller Cell will not give you PS3 level graphics. Thirdly, how will a 32nm Cell cost less money and consume less power than today's PSP CPU? Just because the fab process is smaller doesn't mean the chip by default costs less and consumes less power. Fourthly, the Cell is clocked at 3.2GHz in the PS3. This will never happen in a portable (Too hot, too much power. Fifthly... actually I think I've done enough here.

Just because there will be a small low power chip that shares a name and architecture with the Cell does NOT mean you will get the same performance out of it. They are scaled back in many ways due to space, weight, heat, power issues. Last figures I saw put the PS3 power consumption around 180W. I imagine that's lower now due to the 65nm Cell, but that's not going to reach the kind of power consumption levels which are an absolute requirement for a handheld device in less than 2 years. Sorry, just not possible.

Sony has to fix the issues that made the PSP less successful than the DS, not make them worse. I can guaruntee that the PSP will be not much if any more powerful than the next Nintendo handheld.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!