By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony have a new handheld in by mid-09?

CrazzyMan said:
@ssj12, read about Cell future, it will have QUAD core processors, that means 4 Cells CPU on 1 Core.

witrh 32nm or even less, it`s very possible.

A 32nm processor will be out by mid-2009 but that does not mean STI (Sony, Toshiba, and IBM)will have developed what Sony had on their chart for the CELL's life. The Quad-CELL or CELL v2 isn't set to be developed till after the CELL is 11nm or at least around 2012. The Mini-CELL is an alternate less powerful CEL processor they are planning on developing after the CELL fully switches to 45nm for handheld and mobile devices.

For the "biggest PS3 fanboy on this site" you truly do not know how to remember any charts Sony themselves showed off. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
CrazzyMan said:
@ssj12, read about Cell future, it will have QUAD core processors, that means 4 Cells CPU on 1 Core.

witrh 32nm or even less, it`s very possible.

A 32nm processor will be out by mid-2009 but that does not mean STI (Sony, Toshiba, and IBM)will have developed what Sony had on their chart for the CELL's life. The Quad-CELL or CELL v2 isn't set to be developed till after the CELL is 11nm or at least around 2012. The Mini-CELL is an alternate less powerful CEL processor they are planning on developing after the CELL fully switches to 45nm for handheld and mobile devices.

For the "biggest PS3 fanboy on this site" you truly do not know how to remember any charts Sony themselves showed off. 

SSJ12 laying the smack down.

HOLLAA

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

zackblue said:
fkusumot said:
ssj12 said:
psrock said:
the psp is the most successful failure. ever

its not a failure in the least, Sony managed to do what so many othermanaged to do in the handheld market, take market from Nintendo without giving up (see ngage as nokia isnt a small company and gave up vs Nintendo).

How did Sony take market from Nintendo? What numbers are you using?

The vgchartz numbers on the front page.

Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

> Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

Why are you asking SSJ for something this obvious?

Look at Handheld's % BEFORE PSP entered the market, and look at the ratio now.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

The Mini-CELL is an alternate less powerful CEL processor they are planning on developing after the CELL fully switches to 45nm for handheld and mobile devices.

A 32nm processor will be out by mid-2009

So 32nm Cell can`t be used in PSP2, if it comes in 2010? Or what was your point?
They can`t use 2-3 mini-cells in PSP2 again?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
fkusumot said:
zackblue said:
fkusumot said:
ssj12 said:
psrock said:

its not a failure in the least, Sony managed to do what so many othermanaged to do in the handheld market, take market from Nintendo without giving up (see ngage as nokia isnt a small company and gave up vs Nintendo).

Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

this has to be the EASIEST question to answer. Every generation of handhelds there has always been a competing handheld and every time Nintendo destroys them. This time around Nintendo is having a hard time successfully pulled a 98+% marketshare off like the previous generations. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

fkusumot said:
zackblue said:
fkusumot said:
ssj12 said:
psrock said:

No I am looking at the numbers on the front page, nintendo's current handheld has nearly 70% market share, while the psp has a little more than 30%,therefore yes sony has taken market share from nintendo's handheld market(More than any other handheld anyway).

Remember ninty used to be at 100%.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

CrazzyMan said:
The Mini-CELL is an alternate less powerful CEL processor they are planning on developing after the CELL fully switches to 45nm for handheld and mobile devices.

A 32nm processor will be out by mid-2009

So 32nm Cell can`t be used in PSP2, if it comes in 2010? Or what was your point?
They can`t use 2-3 mini-cells in PSP2 again?

no because even at 32nm the heatsink needed would be to big for the handheld so a 45nm or 32nm Mini-cell is the only way drop heat enough. Plus it wont need as much power to run it. And no they will not design a special muti-socket motherboard for 3 or 4 mini-cells. 

And no an 11nm CELL wont work either an sit would still need a good power supply to run 7 SPEs. 

Well ,seeing as Nintendo is improving their hardware (GBC to GBA ,GBA to DS ,N64 to Cube ,Cube to Wii ) I think the Nintendo DS 2 wont be much more powerful than the PSP .If its more powerfull at all ,somewhat debatable .Sony would not need to put a Cell-powered machine out there .

I think that by revising a bit the hardware (PSP 1.5 of sorts ) ,and adding all sorts of things as second analog stick ,touch screen ,better reader time ,hard drive ,better battery .The format can be UMD still thus making it retrocompatible with the actual PSP .The TV exit socket is a very good idea they must keep .And all the multimedia things may look as innecesary but they are helping the hardware sales .IF they solve this all and put a way to make the machine impossible to crack and pirate they could have a winner .

kingofwale said:
> Great. I guess you can answer for ssj12. How are you interpreting those numbers to say that the PSP took market away from the DS? Are you looking at the numbers from last generation and comparing them or what?

Why are you asking SSJ for something this obvious?

Look at Handheld's % BEFORE PSP entered the market, and look at the ratio now.

Acually Im looking at sales for DS/GBA and I am not seeing any effect of PSP on sales :)

Nintendo is expanding the market unlike other developers.

When will ppl wake up and realise nintendo is now unstoppable since the blue ocean concept has taken place

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY