By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Iwata about to lose his job?

What's going to happen?

Iwata is out 92 37.25%

Miyamoto will take over 29 11.74%

Maybe a Pokemon MMO will ... 64 25.91%

Don Mattrick needs a job 61 24.70%

Total:246

They're not going to be getting rid of him until the Wii U successor is ready to be shown off.

They want a fresh face to go with what they hope will be a fresh new era for the company, coming too early just drags the new face down with Iwata's lingering failures.

Around the Network

if he goes they can shut nintendo completely.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

^ Oh how much I'd like that. :)

kirby007 said:

Such a long time ago...

Yep.

I hope he stays, he's earned the right to do so. Nintendo have sold around 300 million units of hardware since he has been at the helm, and raked in insane profits in the meantime. The only blot on his copybook has been Wii U, but it will have been a profitable venture by the end of its life. Running a business in the same vain as Microsoft and Sony would cost Nintendo a lot more than Wii U has.

Around the Network

No I don't think so.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

dsp333 said:
^ Oh how much I'd like that. :)

But luckily, your wish will not come true.

hopefully not.

He made a stuggling company get alot of money with the DS Wii and 3DS and just the WiiU is having a few problems. (1 in 4 systems)

And he is mostly ignoring the shit mainstream and ignores dumb shareholders that just want short term profit (short term profit oriented companies are the reason the gaming industry became poo in the last 10 years)

TBH shot the investors of any company (stock exchange is humanities cancer) and the world would be a better place.

Why didn't we have this conversation when Yamauchi was in charge? It's not like he has a perfect record, either. Was it because he owned a majority of Nintendo shares? And Iwata probably doesn't own any shares (or very little) ? As i see it, Yamauchi could only fire himself cause he held so much voting power, while Iwata is completely at the mercy of shareholders. Is this correct?

Also, Nintendo issued a share buyback program this year. Who controls those shares? 

I certainly hope not. I think all this ranting on gaming sites about Iwata are ignorant.

Companies take risks. Nintendo is one that does this with each generation.

3D was a risk and it didn't create the response hoped for.

General approach on both consoles was risk with 3rd Party push and both failed as 3rd parties don't want a strong Nintendo.

With both firmly in mind, they are clearly strengthening both consoles. 3DS is profitable and will certainly end well. WiiU is now profitable and we'll see a profitable year this coming year.

Nintendo talks as if they've learned their lesson and I'm betting this E3 and the eventual new consoles to come in a few years will demonstrate that.

I certainly hope investors aren't so finicky. The last investor's meeting seemed to show a lot of promise and realization of where the company stands and where its going.