By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Godzilla '14: Good, But Sadly Disappointing (Spoilers, Duh)

curl-6 said:
ChristianTheAtheist said:

I agree, I think that it would have been more interesting if there had been some kind of conspiracy or clear villain but no, the Japanese and the US governments were portrayed like super heroes always willing to protect the people, same with the military, the media and even Godzilla itself, that was a little cheesy.

The "government is secretly evil" thing is terribly overused, I'm glad they didn't resort to it here.

And there was a clear villain: the Mutos.

I meant people when I said villain but I wasn't very explicit I guess, I just think it was kind of boring and cheesy that everyone was good and had the best interests in mind. I was also expecting the movie to have a more uncomfortable, apocalyptic and tense athmosphere but the only parts that were like that are the ones shown in the trailer. Don't get me wrong, even with all its defects and clichés I did love the movie.

Around the Network
ghettoglamour said:
Good and slightly dissapointing? Lol, what a contradiction. Anything better than god awful is a positive surprise for a Godzilla movie.

Agreed, It was quite the opposite to me. Bad to decent but highly rewarding and entertaining. Godzilla is a great excuse to see over the top action and special effects. I think that the real art and challenge of making a Godzilla movie is that it doesn't suck and being able to tell the most ridiculous story in the less ridiculous way possible.

Kowan said:

In this age of cynicism and predictability, it's nice to be surprised.

9/10 film.

Agreed. I went in the cinema with great doubt only to come out surprised and extremely satisfied. I immediately knew I just had to see it again but in a better cinema as I only was able to see it first in a normal non 3D cinema because every other options were sold out. I was only more impressed the second time. 

That said I really hope the next Godzilla movie would apply the fans reaction to this first one. Not all of it, as some of them can be very subjective, but enough to really make an even better and more epic Godzilla movie.

I agree with both of you and couldn't be happier with the outcome of the movie.  When Godzilla first roared it gave me chills.  I definitely want to see this movie agree, but in 3D!!

I thought it was just okay.I give it a mixed review. did'nt hate the movie,but did'nt love it either. the breaking bad guy was bye far the best actor in the movie and the only character that I cared about,but guess what they killed him about 40 minutes into the movie. wtf!!!!! the actor that played his son was a decent actor,but boring. His wife was just there. I felt that the cgi stuff and godzilla was well done. bravo on that. the first monsters you see,looked generic as hell. like they could be in a thousand other movies. I did like the emp attacks from them. I thought that part was really creative and good. I personally never seen that in a movie that i've watched. I thought the ending battle was a bit short,but really good. when he whiped his tail and hit that one monster into the building was awesome and when he used his atomic breath in the last monsters mouth was pretty good. overall,I thought the movie was just okay. if your going to focus alot on the human characters,give me a reason to give a dam about them. don't kill off the only interesting character 40 minutes into your movie. the monster sand cgi stuff was well done,but there just was'nt enough of it. 3/5 stars for me. 6 out of 10. average review

spurgeonryan said:
In some of the old movies I always wished that rubber foam suit had more screen time as well. So now it will seem horrible! My gf made me see Need for Speed last night instead of Godzilla. Damn it!!!!!!!!!

I remember being a kid and hating everyone who said King Kong could beat up Godzilla.. I think I even still have his movies all on vhs.
Thanks for the heads up! My hype is down a bit and maybe I will enjoy it now.

read my thoughts on the movie. I'm interested in your counter arguments. lol

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

So you are saying you want the second one to have a better director and bigger budget? I am sure they were iffy on the budget, but seeing how this will be huge, they will probably give the already announced second one some wiggle room.

Budget wasn't an issue; the film had $160 million to work with, and it shows; great effects, big sets, big actors.

I agree the not much was focused on Godzilla until the end fight and the biuld up was incredibly slow, a third of the movie was just them tracking godzilla and those M.U.T.O's. the CGI was incredbile though...they looked so real!!! the part where Gozilla's spikes lit up within the cloud of dust and the night sky gave me chills!!!(didn't expect him to breathe fire yet)

overal I'd give the movie 8/10

You're crazy.

It was a great Godzilla film. Godzilla films always include a strong human element, at least the good ones. This was a re-imagining of Godzilla's first appearance and it was done well.

They didn't know and had to figure out who / what he was. It introduced him very well and covered the battle well.

Sure it could have been stretched another 20mins to add more footage of the fight and they'll likely do that or similar in an eventual sequel now that they realize there is a strong market out their for a modern approach to Godzilla.

However, the fight scenes were excellent. It was the appropriate size and look of Godzilla with a normal modern uptick in visualization. Same thing has happened to Godzilla in many movies. He gets updated with technology. Godzilla from the 50's isn't how Godzilla from the 90's looks.

He had personality. That is essential as he's not a mindless boring lizard. He clearly had personality and intelligence in the movie.

His atomic breath is done very well. It should never really have been red/yellow in the first place as it should be incredibly hot... so a blue/white makes more sense and simply looks better. It was also done as a later attack move which is also common in many of his movies as he boxes/wrestles more often.

The movie was done very well and ranks as one of my personal favorite Godzilla movies of all times.

I never understand why people get so bent out of shape with modern renditions of classics. This was a quality / real Godzilla movie. Its not going to win any Oscars, but no Godzilla movie ever should. They're a bit corny with giant monsters battling it out while not forgetting that humans are living down here too. That's what that movie was and it did it well.

Its also inspiring a whole new generation of people to love Godzilla. I took my 3 children and 5 nephews/nieces to go see it. EVERY person (ages 8 to 13) all LOVED the movie as the best thing they've seen. That is priceless to me as it ensures this amazing and sometimes lovable creature can continue to exist.

Easily 9/10 movie for me... easy.

superchunk said:

This was a quality / real Godzilla movie. Its not going to win any Oscars, but no Godzilla movie ever should. They're a bit corny with giant monsters battling it out while not forgetting that humans are living down here too. That's what that movie was and it did it well.

My friend the movie buff said before we went to see this film (while discussing Cap A and why it was so great) is that you have to accept certain things when going to see a comic book film, it will have big action/explosions in it. So making it just a polical thriller, like it was for much of the time won't work because of the genre. 

Godzilla is no different, you base it on the idea that it is going to have a massive unrealistic giant lizard fight and you be stupid in thinking it can rival say Gravity is Award winning status.

Although after he came out of this, he said it was only okay and didn't like some of the human aspects because of the wealth of talent the movie had. Wellknown actors doing very little. But what does he expect? It's a Godzilla film. One that portrayed  the hero of the series in a good light.

Hmm, pie.

Thought the movie was just about perfect. Might even go see it again.

I don't have an issue with the screen time for Godzilla, it gave the movie more depth to have more going on in the background. Nor did I mind his "fainting". I would guess that battling the other two monsters was way more fatiguing than swatting away missiles or blasts from the humans.