By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD console graphics performance comparison charts

CrazyGPU said:
Common knowledge is that CPUs of these consoles are week, and some people are making full use of them. but are they a limiting factor for gpu resolution? and will gpu compute solve that without taking a hit in gpu performance?

There's not that many tasks that could be off-loaded to the GPU as they both handle almost entirely different roles. What could help alleviate the CPU bottlenecks is that games could make use of the API to let the GPU submit the commands itself rather than letting the CPU do it. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Lack of legitimate source = no credibility.

Also, comic sans = no credibility

Oh boy, and I thought we've finished with this sort of threads, but...

OT, this is all pretty much common knowledge for everyone who wasn't lazy and used bit of a common sense in last year or two, so honestly not sure what is the exact purpose of the thread.

lol these comic sans graphs are BS

CrazyGPU said:
Common knowledge is that CPUs of these consoles are week, and some people are making full use of them. but are they a limiting factor for gpu resolution? and will gpu compute solve that without taking a hit in gpu performance?

No, no, no and no. Console development just doesn't work that way. I'm gonna try and explain.

If you code to make a ball bounce up and down then run that through your system. The cpu would handle th ephysics and render simulation and the gpu will render the image. Either way, the cpu and gpu will be running at 100% to run your very very very basic code. How many tims have you heard developers say we are using 100% of this or that system. That is honestly just nonsense talk right there. Then their very own next game comes out and uts to shame what they did the last time.

The hardware in consoles obviously isn't getting better, the code is.

As I have already said in this thread, 1080p/60fps is not a fixed target. If all the devs came to an agreement right now that no game will look better than KZ:SF, then in 2 years you could have games that look that good running at 60fps and 1080p all the time. But unfortunately. its easier to market pruutty graphics than it is to market performance, so devs will always go for looks over performance. 

Having said all that, NO. The CPUs in these consoles aren't a limit to gpu resolution, especially when you consoder that all these consoles hope to acomplish is 1080p max. Consoles don't run like PCs. Hell, the cpu has nothing to do with resolution, thats entirely on the gpu, the cpu could limit framerates though.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Oh boy, and I thought we've finished with this sort of threads, but...

OT, this is all pretty much common knowledge for everyone who wasn't lazy and used bit of a common sense in last year or two, so honestly not sure what is the exact purpose of the thread.

The thread could be a stupid one for fanboysm, or it can lead to understand the capabilities and limitations of next gen consoles, learn and think about what future games will be capable of. Of course people who only play candy crush saga would not care, but some of us who like technology and hardware to advance and become better will. I really think that this new generation should be able to render in 1080p and high quality graphics, Its true that graphics is not the most important thing in a game, playability and experience is, but if nobody care about graphics, we would be playing with Space Invaders graphics in 2014, or with the NES, and we are not. 

Phew, and I was enjoying some of my Wii U games and looking forward to others. Glad I can now see them for the trash they truly are.

The gflops have opened my eyes.  Thank you Wikipedia.

mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:
DonFerrari said:

And there is another that says NPD is inacurrate because it is tracking X1 bellow VGC.

Aye, but, at least these folks are freely broadcasting that we should ignore anything and everything they say :)

Yes, the best part about people being completely idiots is that we are safe, we can just ignore them after that.

On forums, yes, but when they translate that idiocy into voting power, it becomes an issue.

In Brazil this is a serious problem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:

On forums, yes, but when they translate that idiocy into voting power, it becomes an issue.

In Brazil this is a serious problem.

That sucks, big problem in the US as well.

lol if the power gap is really that wide between the Wii U and the PS4/Xbox One, then either Nintendo developers are wizards or Sony and Microsoft developers can't optimize for their lives.